My first e-bike / would like mods.

Hi,

First of all im new to the forum so im sorry if i have post in the wrong thread.

Right i have just bought my first e-bike i got it from ebay and payed £300 incl postage, its 36v 9Ah Lead-Acid Ultra battery and Motor 200W you can see the bike here:
http://tinyurl.com/385rwt

I would just like to know if theres any mods or addons i can add to the bike to make it go faster does anyone know if this is a good e-bike or can tell me anything about this bike good and bad.

best regards

btw: great forum :D

watchfootball said:
Hi,

First of all im new to the forum so im sorry if i have post in the wrong thread.

Right i have just bought my first e-bike i got it from ebay and payed £300 incl postage, its 36v 9Ah Lead-Acid Ultra battery and Motor 200W you can see the bike here:

I would just like to know if theres any mods or addons i can add to the bike to make it go faster does anyone know if this is a good e-bike or can tell me anything about this bike good and bad.

best regards

btw: great forum :D
Well, the first thing that most here will mention is the batteries. The need to be lighter, so you would want to swap them out with NiMH or Lith batteries to decrease weight. The next thing to upgrade would be the AH rating, which is currently at 9AH. With lighter batteries could could almost double the AH rating and thus double your range. The other thing to consider, that since it's 36 volts, you might be able to over-volt it to 48 volts without too much trouble which would also result in a much greater top speed and acceleration.

A lot of the controllers we use on our e-bikes that run 36 volts, usually upgrade to 48 volts without any problems. But be careful not to upgrade to 48 volts and then take off for a long ride, you might melt something. Usually you want to upgrade the voltage and do a few "free wheel" test to feel if the controller or motor are starting to over heat. That's your main issue with too much power, it produces too much heat if the controller or motor can not handle it.

Hi,

Thanks guys.

I don`t have the bike yet it should get here in the morning and will post a image of the controller (the controller is the box on the back of the bike ?)

best regards

:D

watchfootball said:
Hi,

Welcome! Say, that's all exciting, first time and all.
Here's hoping it works well out of the box.

Say, note that lonnnng urls will splay a page out in the lateral direction?
Tinyurl is one of the free url shrink/redirect services that tame unruly urls.
I've tinied your link. If you would copy it and place it in your first posting,
that's repair this page.

Now I'm gonna read up about your bike. You've gotten good advice above already.

More ebikeriding= less watchingfootball

8)

_______
edit: wow, that bike looks good in every way.
I see no downside at all.
The motor more likely than not, is brushed, and that's OK (simple).
You might overvolt it. You might also burn out the motor more easily if overvolted and then run at sustained high road speeds or long upgrades at high assist power....

That's the main upgrade beside battery quality/capacity: your hub motor.
It'd be nice not to have to do that. If you're satisfied with normal bike speeds, why, this bike is just about ideal I think! My opinion, based on the ebay sales blurb.

I don't have any experience with that particular bike, but it does look good. It's too bad the UK limits the power rating of the motor, but guys like us can fix that :)

Depending on what range you need, increasing the power might decrease the range to an unacceptable level. More batteries would fix that.

Most likely, the controller is the real limiting factor. Some can be modified if you're handy with a soldering iron. Otherwise, there may be replacement controllers with a higher power rating.

A pic of the controller and the wires that go from the controller to the motor would be a good start. We need to figure out if it is brushed or brushless.

Hi

Thats a nice looking machine for the money as well, discs all round is a big bonus as well as rim brakes wear quickly esp if you speed things up and carry bigger batteries.

For the price I would be pretty sure the motor is brushed, close up shots of the controller would confirm this. You can speed it up in many ways, if it is brushed you can fit a 4qd controller to it, else if its brushless a xlyte controller can be added.

You can get both in the UK the 4qd at http://www.4qd.co.uk and the controller at team hybrid http://www.teamhybrid.co.uk.

Its a good start to ebiking though and miles better than say a powabyke or something, you can take the top speed to over 25mph without too much trouble.

You can play with lead acid at first, if you like the rig go for NIMH or Lipo also available from Team Hybrid.

All the best

Knoxie

Back