What is your dream ebike?

EcoForumZ

10 W
Thought I would start a thread to see what everybodies dream ebike would be. Well to get things started here is what I have come up for myself so far. My idea is based on the good old days of the big wheels with the spinout brake lever. Unfortunetly nobody makes a big wheel for adults so here is what I have found so far...

Bike - Triton Pro Three-wheeled 20" Cruiser Bicycle
Motor - 20" Crystalyte 5302 front wheel hub
Battery 48v, 15ah, lifepoh4

Based on the Crystalyte.com Hub Motor Simulator it should do about 52mph. But I thinkI am reading the simulator wrong because that is pretty fast!

The idea is to replace the front wheel with the X5 hub motor and adding bike pegs to put your feet on.

Images
Bike
L11163019.jpg

Pretty cheesy video of bike. With a motor it would be a blast though!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=OEBzbWuNEUo

file.php

Take this motorcycle concept, but add pedals and replace the gas with an electric motor. Then make sure that at the point of sale that it's a legal electric bike so anyone can buy it.

file.php

My dream ebike is actually a motorcycle :p.

But, if I had to stick to an actual bike frame, it would go something like this:

Nice full-suspension DH frame.
Twin 20" 5305s.
120V of A123. As many AH as I can fit (prolly like 30).

Should do a little over 45mph and nearly 1G on acceleration. 8)

I used to cruise around Venice Beach on this thing a couple of years ago. Wish I still had it to electrify.

Hopefully I am better at building an eBike than I am at posting photos on a forum.

Something that looks normal, but goes pretty fast with long range, and is reliable. Hopefully what I am trying to build now will work out that way.
Trek 7.3 FX w/ 407 700c rear motor 35amp 72v controller/ 48v 15Ah LifePo4 with a half twist throttle and Cycle analyst. If it works it will be like a dream come true :mrgreen:

I like the concept of pedal assisted, full-sized, high-efficiency, good climbing ability, good geometry adult bicycles. I much prefer high torque to speed. I suspect that bottom bracket motors integrated into the frame and chain drive are much more efficient than hub motors. The Optibike comes very close to my ideal ebike, but it's too expensive and comes only in one size. I also like the Panasonic/Kalkhoff and old-style Giant ebikes and this Gruber assist concept: http://www.gruberassist.com/ I'd like to see a higher powered and less expensive Gruber assist type product that could be retrofitted to standard-sized bikes. I'm amazed there aren't more products on the market for assisted hill climbing. I want a product that increases the effectiveness and attractiveness of a bicycle for physical exercise, not an electric motorcycle.

Instead of building one single bike model Optibike should produce a standard line of bottom bracket motors - sort of like the Shimano of pedal assist - for any bicycle manufacturer to use. Then everyone could get the exact type of pedal-assisted bike they want in a sized frame: folding bike, mountain bike, commuter, recumbent, etc.

Link said:
My dream ebike is actually a motorcycle :p.
Ditto. I see the BugE, Enertia, TRIAC, Aptera, and Chevy Volt as the logical progression.

If I'm going to be on the road dicing it up with the cars at their speeds then I want something designed for that purpose. A Schwinn with a x5 doesn't meet that criterion in my mind.

My dream bike has a 24 cell, 80 volt 40 amp hour 15 pound battery pack. Physical dimensions and weight - 13 x 6 x 4 inches (LWH) with a BMS that gives a 20 miles remaining warning message on my Cycle Analyst for low voltage cutout. Included is an onboard 110 volt 10 amp smart charger that weighs 8 oz and is 4 inches long by 2 inches wide - passively cooled of course. Cost? 500 dollars. :mrgreen:

Oh I almost forgot. It would also have a 130 volt Ultracapacitor boost function ( in the fake water bottle ) all this would be coupled to a 6304... no 7305 Crystalyte rear hub motor. The bike would have a 26 inch 3.25 V-rated Pirelli Phantom on the rear and 2.00 on the front and look like a "normal bike" . It would have pedals, but just so you could try to stop the damn thing.

...if you're going to dream.....

Something that will smoke the killacycle in the quarter mile and weigh 50 pounds and be street legal lol.

Mostly, I think, I already have it after 13 years of experimentation. But.....were money no object and technology a given then something like the Optibike but with fenders, disc brakes, puncture proof tires, lights and a fifty mile range@25 mph with a rapid recharge off the built in charger. Oh yeah, a BIG seat. Quick and stealthy. Since this is a fantasy bike then let's make it theft proof too. And...paint it red.
Mike

I have 3 I dream about (long range planning)

dreambike off the shelf: optibike 800 wit ext battery option.
dreambike kit diy: evg ebike frame with custom paintjob, disc brakes and extra comfy seat, advanced seatpost suspension system. blackburn x8 lighting system. modified puma hub. 42v20ah internal/hidden lifepo with optional rear mount 42v10ah ext range battery pack
dreambike 'bent: rans stratus xp ti with front fairing. cyclone 360 watt motor. next gen superlite lithium 24v30ah batts. haircut.

Start with a leaning "tadpole" trike like the Tripendo (http://www.tripendo.com) or the FN-Trike (http://fn-trike.de/Reinhold/HTM/seite1.html).

Extend the rear swing arm. Think Xtracycle (http://www.xtracycle.com). Over the swing arm would be a heavy duty rack which can double as a passenger seat or carry groceries or extra batteries :)

Add electric assist. Simmer, and serve hot.

I have two ideas I'd like to do. One is a higher end full suspension bike with twin BMC hubs run at 48 volts with two 20 amp controllers and a throttle splitter. Need a 20AH lithium battery to run it, and I don't know where I would mount the battery though. This would be my electric motorcycle and would climb anything and do 30 MPH and get there quickly.

I am also interested in a flyweight E-bike. Take a higher end hard tail at about 22 pounds, run a bmc hub at 36 volts with a LIPOLY small battery at 5 or 6 pounds for a 37 pound or so 20 mile range 20 MPH plus Ev that weighs less than some normal bikes. Would mount the battery in a frame pack to it wouldn't scream electric bike.

Like link, my dream bike is really a motorcylce. An enduro that could go street legal or dirt, under 250 pounds. The motor would have easily changed sprockets so you could gear it trials, hills, or highway in less than 5 minuites. Battery that charges in about 15 minuites. Something a bit lighter than most gas dirt bikes, but stronger than a MTB. For a commuterbike, a recumbent with full suspension an x5 and about 72 volts and 50ah of lithium. I guess that either illegal or a motorcycle too.

Great idea for a thread!

I pretty much have my perfect bike now (realistically speaking). Being a recumbent guy, I would stay with a recumbent like I have now. But, if i had to improve it, I would say, 40 or 50 AH 48 volt lipo (instead of my current 10 AH). I would like a rear disc brake. Oh, I wouls start with a carbon fiber "No-Com" (ultra low racer). The power system would be 6,000 watts for a 50 mph cruising speed and a range of at least 50 miles. It would have minimal suspension, just enough to take the hit out of sharp bumps. The bike would have a complete management system handling all battery management including cell ballancing, throttle, adjustable current limit, throttle curve (exponential), voltage, amperage, distance, average WH per mile, etc. I wuold have a muti ratio system that can shift under power to keep the motor in its efficiency range.

Oh, the bike would weigh 50 pounds max.

Matt

well... I'm still figuring that out :oops:

I recently picked up a veteran Linear recumbent. Now that it's ride able and I've been riding it visions of a front fairing, a Cyclone 500W mid drive, and 24v 40Ah of Thunder-Sky LiFePO4 are dancing in my head. It'd also have an on board charger, a headlight as bright as any car's, and a warp drive! for those lunch dates in Tokyo :mrgreen:

Another dreamy vision is of a Big Dummy with a front fairing, Cyclone 500W mid drive, full set of freeloader panniers, and some nice Lithium in the front triangle. My car would get really lonely If I ever make this bike.

Marty

My dream e-bike is gonna be a fully enclosed, very light and aerodynamic (some BMW engineer biker guy said he had made a motor-less one from carbon&kevlar that was just 30 pounds) 2wheel recumbent bike. Good closeable air vents. :) An efficient, very low maintenance motor and range of at least 40 miles with pedaling. A two-voltage battery setup (parallel or series switchable) and top speed of at least 30mph. And empty-to-90%-full charging time of no more than 10 minutes. (Think A123s, they can handle 6c and higher charging I think.) A space for cargo as big as one of those 25gallon plastic bins.

I know there's a lot of sh** going down these days, but I feel optimistic . I keep reading about battery developments. latest I came across was nanotechnology giving lithium batts 20 times the power plus not having to use expensive/limited resources etc. that would mean a 48v 50ah pack weighing around 3 pounds? I guess the other side is unleashing the full potential of the e-bike is the motor. For hub motors, a hi-tech chip controlled "smart" hub, lightweight with titanium etc, with internal gearbox would be the way forwards?
****and then coupled with that a real focus on developing bike paths and trails for really fun and safe way of getting around! heaven

Similar to this (pictured) except with a geared hub motor that is quiet and reliable.

Attachments

• skaha_lake_trail_022.jpg
    skaha_lake_trail_022.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,610
I'll try cerewa's with super caps and "secure foam" crash protection. If you're including motorcycles.. I'm picky about those, I'll have to sleep on that one. Wait, does it have to stay on the ground..

my dream bike is the one i have at the moment but with super-high-tech-next-gen lithiums. :D

Back