New xtracycle edgerunner cargo bike - what do you think?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

New xtracycle edgerunner cargo bike - what do you think?

Post by neptronix » Oct 28 2012 12:23am

http://www.xtracycle.com/edgerunner

Looks like all sorts of win to me. 20" rear wheel, Chromoly frame, space for a falconev ( or similar ) bag, designed around tall / wide tires, disc brakes, sizeable room for a chain driven motor in the center, etc.

Not bad... :D

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Re: New xtracycle edgerunner cargo bike - what do you think?

Post by teklektik » Oct 28 2012 12:46am

Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Oct 28 2012 12:58am

Superfat tires help a ton.
A chromoly bike soaks up a lot of vibration as well.
Add to the fact that if you are sitting in the middle of the bike, the impact of the bumps is lessened.
I really notice that on my design logic 'da bomb' ( chromoly as well ) with 2.0" tires, and no suspension. It's a better ride than my dual suspension bike and my MAC Trek with the front suspension.

I rode a yuba mundo and noticed a similar effect. The long chromoly frame soaks up a lot of stuff. So this bike should exhibit some of the same smooth riding qualities.

There is no way around bumps - but you could go with a suspension fork up front plus a 24" wheel to even out the geometry. The wheel size difference with the 20" in the rear would not be so pronounced as well, so that'd be a bonus. And you can get a 24" schwalbe big apple ( i just ordered one ) 2.125" for the front. That would be an ideal setup.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

ohzee   1 MW

1 MW

Post by ohzee » Oct 28 2012 1:00am

I think he said "electric sphere" hmmm neat looking bike.

slacker   10 kW

10 kW

Post by slacker » Oct 28 2012 2:24pm

best new product since the surly big dummy.just hope they offer a 48 volt version.

Farfle   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Farfle » Oct 28 2012 4:09pm

The radish is the best handling longtail I have ever ridden, plus Their warranty support has been excellent. Hopefully they don't disappoint.
Test Review Revise Repeat

melodious   100 kW

100 kW

Post by melodious » Oct 28 2012 4:19pm

Choices for pre-made Ebikes are growing! I've had my eye on this one (and a few others) :) . Should be able to do about 98% of the mundane jobs most of us would think of. The other 2%? Well, that's where this forum takes over. :twisted:
Surly Ogre rigid 29er, rear 10T MAC @ 50V 25AH & 40A: 30mph road/gravel/hill machine
42" dual diagonal Eskateboard @6s & 90mm wheels
Next: eMTB @10-12s & 8"-12" pneumatic wheels; Got Strapped? d-(',')z

melodious   100 kW

100 kW

Post by melodious » Oct 28 2012 4:39pm

The MARC commuter train from Baltimore <> Washington D.C. require all bikes brought aboard have the ability to "fold". Moreover, during peak times, they have to be placed within a bag of some kind. Imagine the folk's faces when you try to bring this little lady on:

http://www.xtracycle.com/cargojoe
Surly Ogre rigid 29er, rear 10T MAC @ 50V 25AH & 40A: 30mph road/gravel/hill machine
42" dual diagonal Eskateboard @6s & 90mm wheels
Next: eMTB @10-12s & 8"-12" pneumatic wheels; Got Strapped? d-(',')z

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » Oct 28 2012 4:46pm

Like it!

That's a good bike for tuning and add LOAD of battery on it !
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Oct 29 2012 6:28pm

Bueno Idea, lower the cargo weight for better handling while getting the bonus of better hill climbing with the 20" wheel hubmotored.

All good looking to me, no downside really.

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Oct 29 2012 7:22pm

I was on the Yuba Mundo bandwagon a little while ago, until another project got in the way. But this changes the game!!!

The smaller rear wheel is very smart to allow a lower cargo mass and the diameter will be great for hub motors and ease of finding parts (BMX)

Nep, I think you have found my next bike :mrgreen:
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

hillzofvalp   1 MW

1 MW

Post by hillzofvalp » Oct 29 2012 7:36pm

I absolutely love it. I just want a bare frame though.. Cromotor at 9kW I am thinking. Passenger capable. How much load do you think there would be on the axle with 200
Lb rider and 160lb load on back? Would it be comparable to 200lb rider on a normal geometry mountain bike?

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Oct 29 2012 7:42pm

hillzofvalp wrote:I absolutely love it. I just want a bare frame though.. Cromotor at 9kW I am thinking. Passenger capable. How much load do you think there would be on the axle with 200
Lb rider and 160lb load on back? Would it be comparable to 200lb rider on a normal geometry mountain bike?
Vertical load? I'm guessing that would be the same 360lb load across 2 wheels. Of course, the wheel base of this bad boy will mean you can put more torque in before any wheel lift occurs on the front.
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Oct 29 2012 8:43pm

cal3thousand wrote:Vertical load? I'm guessing that would be the same 360lb load across 2 wheels. Of course, the wheel base of this bad boy will mean you can put more torque in before any wheel lift occurs on the front.
And even better, the 20" wheel will produce very good amounts of torque. Even an el cheapo 9C or Crystalyte HS would produce good power in a smaller wheel - check the ebikes.ca simulator to see what i mean.

And unlike using an ordinary frame, you won't have the same wheelie/strange geometry/poor handling/pedal scraping issues of using a 20" rear wheel that i did on my pike's peak race bike.

I think someone at xtracycle was listening to our wants!

hillzofvalp   1 MW

1 MW

Post by hillzofvalp » Oct 30 2012 12:49am

I emailed them about it. if I got aframe from them I would want the dropouts at least .375" thick, and with a good tolerance on the 10mm slot (say plusminus .01-.03mm). I even offered to buy one of their framesets if I could send them custom fabricated dropouts

recumbent   100 kW

100 kW

Post by recumbent » Oct 30 2012 4:02am

I think the new "Extracycle cargobike" is a great idea.

And the fact they are Cro-moly makes for a very comfortable bike. My 7 foot long bike pictured in avatar (except with panniers) is the most comfortable bike by leaps and bounds. these new cargo goodies are hopefully better designed. Good luck for the company.
Ebike in use:
LWB Recumbent bike, Sram i-9 internal gears.
Power: 58V, 16 amp/hr, lipo batteries.
max speed: 52 km/h (30 mph),
max range: 40 km's, incl stop&go few times, minimal pedaling.
New build: Delta recumbent trike

miuan   10 kW

10 kW

Post by miuan » Oct 30 2012 4:18am

hillzofvalp wrote:I emailed them about it. if I got aframe from them I would want the dropouts at least .375" thick, and with a good tolerance on the 10mm slot (say plusminus .01-.03mm). I even offered to buy one of their framesets if I could send them custom fabricated dropouts
This is a worthy effort. Please keep us informed. I am thinking of retiring my cracked Kona Ute frame and this would be a good candidate!

slacker   10 kW

10 kW

Post by slacker » Oct 30 2012 9:11am

does anyone know or think that grin will come out with their battery mounting system that they show on the edgerunner?that would be ideal for the big dummy i imagine.if anyone knows please post here.peace out.

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Oct 30 2012 11:50am

neptronix wrote:
cal3thousand wrote:Vertical load? I'm guessing that would be the same 360lb load across 2 wheels. Of course, the wheel base of this bad boy will mean you can put more torque in before any wheel lift occurs on the front.
And even better, the 20" wheel will produce very good amounts of torque. Even an el cheapo 9C or Crystalyte HS would produce good power in a smaller wheel - check the ebikes.ca simulator to see what i mean.

And unlike using an ordinary frame, you won't have the same wheelie/strange geometry/poor handling/pedal scraping issues of using a 20" rear wheel that i did on my pike's peak race bike.

I think someone at xtracycle was listening to our wants!
Plenty of room for batteries or a mid mount. That small wheel will require less reduction as well.

I wonder how much they will be selling frame kits for.

cwah   10 GW

10 GW

Post by cwah » Oct 30 2012 7:21pm

Anyone wants to have a dual motor on it to increase efficiency?

Was thinking that with 2 different wheel size it may not work very well
Help me find my stolen electric brompton: http://bit.ly/1a0vbBC and Bosch Sinus B3 http://bit.ly/1eV0WQz

flathill   100 kW

100 kW

Post by flathill » Oct 30 2012 11:47pm

Looks super dorky to me
You know they sell 10x cost on taiwan crap/gold because 5-7x on made local isnt good enough
They problem is qc
Could be a 16 year old punk first day welding and he was up all night playing starcraft at the local internet cafe
Cracked out and shaking from a energy drink overdose
Or a little old lady welding forever who is the shite
You may get a nugget or a turd with a bad weld

If you have the money to burn and want made in California by one man
Try a hunter
http://mashsf.com/_dev/_wordpress/wp-co ... .56-PM.jpg

A bit cheaper is the cleaver made in Oakland by one man
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq451 ... 1_1280.jpg

I think my next bike will be a 2wd 20" custom cargo
For ghetto charger road trip redundancy and prototyping a novel regen system
So this doesnt happen when carrying a bud/chick and we hit a pothole at 40
http://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/fram ... me-002.jpg
Last edited by flathill on Oct 31 2012 12:07am, edited 4 times in total.

hillzofvalp   1 MW

1 MW

Post by hillzofvalp » Oct 30 2012 11:56pm

miuan wrote:
hillzofvalp wrote:I emailed them about it. if I got aframe from them I would want the dropouts at least .375" thick, and with a good tolerance on the 10mm slot (say plusminus .01-.03mm). I even offered to buy one of their framesets if I could send them custom fabricated dropouts
This is a worthy effort. Please keep us informed. I am thinking of retiring my cracked Kona Ute frame and this would be a good candidate!
haha. The response was pretty lacking, imho. maybe it has to do with the fact that it is unreleased (not shipping). they wouldn't give me tolerances on the slot, the dropout thickness, or tell me I could ship them my own dropouts for a custom frame. Hopefully I can get more out of them when they respond to my second email with clarifications.

Funny though cause they referred me to justin for everything ebike related. Would justin even know the tolerances and such geometry of this frame? If they don't answer back with anything I'm going to talk to him about it I guess

Zoot Katz   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Zoot Katz » Oct 31 2012 12:27am

That's the bike I mentioned back in May this year: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/vi ... =3&t=39968 I'm glad to see it's making to market.
It doesn't look like the torque sensor BB is going to be in the production models.
You can be sure it's going to ride sweet. Sam Wittingham has been fine tuning the concept for a couple of years already.
A review in Momentum #57 expected ~ $3495 USD and $3300-$3900 CAN price tags. In another article, Vancouver's bicycling mayor says he wants one.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Oct 31 2012 7:03am

I don't doubt that a good custom fabricator can make you nice stuff too. But I do think that surly makes some good frames, and one designed for electrification is not a bad idea.

For most peoples needs, a 20" driving wheel will be enough torque, so no need for mid drive unless you have steeper hills than 10% to climb.

As for broken frames, look at the surly frame and look at the one in the picture above. See the huge difference?

But the possibility of breaking stuff under huge loads is one reason why my longtail has full suspension. I know it's easier on my destroyed lower back, and think it should be easier on rims and spokes. My homemade longtail beast rides down washboard dirt roads at 30 mph just fine.

I think somebody that really knows how to build frames needs to start making longtails with rear suspsension.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Oct 31 2012 7:09am

Re hilforzaps dropout comments, It's chromoly. Looks super simple to me to just cut off the stock dropout and have a decent welder put anything you want on there. No fancy geometry, it's just a plate welded to a tube.