EZip Trailz LS - 2013

DrkAngel

1 GW
Just received my 2013 EZip Trailz LS - Low Step - Womens's
Unbeatable deal!
$333 - including tax - including delivery! ... Price has been slowly but steadily rising!!
2 days shipping, from Amazon.com

Pros ...
Price
Complete, ready to go eBike
"Manly" blue color
Small bottle of touch up paint
$20 upgrade for 20mph capable

Cons ...
Heavy steel and battery
Stiff shifter
Budget components
SLA battery

Improvements ...
Painted rack
Large foot on kickstand
Dual - brake motor cutoff
Deeper tread on tires
Quiet motor - XYD-16
Removable freewheel
Guard protecting derailleur
Better looking RMB battery case

Detriments ... bad improvements
Separate PAS\TAG switch
Poor, battery condition led, placement

Still needing improvement ...
Better rear hub - thin flange poorly supports spoke elbow
Motor side spokes - laced in wrong direction! ... still!
Affordable ... Lithium pack.

Odd ...
The brush side motor cover has slots at the screws.
Possibly to adjust brush timing for higher speed - more torque?

Price jumped ! From $309 to $409!

Click on picture

Choose Color : Blue
Red is more expensive 2012 model!

Confirmed as 2013 Model!

eZip - iZip Specific Threads

eZip Trailz Commuter - 2014½
EZip Trailz LS - 2013
Re-volting the eZips ... Simple Mods!
The New EZip "StepThrough"
Currie-EZip ebike Kit $289.88 - Amazon.com
eZip-iZip-Currie parts-n-such
13T Drive Sprocket - Currie, eZip, iZip
Re-gearing the eZips - Simple Mods!
EZip Trailz - On Sale!
Multi-Voltage Testbed - eZip
eZip-iZip Usable Controller Voltages
Should I lube my izip motor?
EZip - IZip 20mph Upgrade $20!
eZips - 15T drive sprocket
Currie-eZip-iZip Mods & Such - 5 Year Journey
Currie - IZip eBike Kit - Price Tracking
EZip Trailz - Continuous Price Tracking
Broken Spokes - EZip - Solutions!
14ga to 12ga Spoke Upgrade
EZip Basics ... Electric Bike or Electric Assist Bike
Currie MY1080Z 450w Motor - capabilities (EZip-IZip)
11T Mod - 20mph (25.9V)

Your old motors didn't have the slots? If I remember correctly everyone of my 5 motors have slots for mounting the end caps. I agree it never made much sense to me. I have reverced a few motors using these mountings screws and never considered they might alter the speed or torque. I have noticed that 2 motors running (no load) on a 48v 50a controller had different speeds (495 vsing 515rpm). Who knows maybe a little tuning would have match them better. I will be building a new twin motor setup this winter and will check into it.

Bob

I just got an Even Manlier black diamond frame Trailz from Woot.com for $380 shipped and with tax. I got both free shipping with a $5 coupon code, and next-day delivery, by sheer chance. The bike appears to be in as close to perfect shape as these things get (it had one wrong size spacer on one brake caliper) and the bottom of the crank housing tells me that it was made only about 8 weeks ago! I guess that makes it a 2013, too. The pack seems to be in great shape, and arrived nearly charged, but I left it on the charger the full 8 hours the first time, and rode it as a plain bicycle the first night I had it. It felt pretty good even unpowered, once I got the seat height right. I think the folks who claim these things weigh a ton didn't grow up riding steel-frame bikes. :D This bike has a lot more power than I had expected: the PAS mode alone provides about as much as I expected, so the throttle adds a real thrill! I had an even heavier Giant LA Free Sport about a decade (or more) ago, and while it claimed to be 1000 or 750 watts (I forget which, but it had a High and Low mode, with no-pedal throttle mode only available in Low) it was much less powerful than this EZIP. I can cruise up hills that had me panting and my legs hurting (admittedly, I have a lousy cardiovascular system and leg problems) with ease. If only the weather were warmer!

My plan is to eventually get the 9.6AH Currie lithium pack unless I can get one custom built for less, but with a good SLA pack that doesn't make the bike feel too heavy, I can wait for an after-christmas sale. After my disastrous luck borrowing to buy a $1450 bike that arrived broken, I still can't believe that I was able to get something this nice for a price I can actually afford. I've ordered one of those Cateye headlight-taillight-computer box sets, a folding bar-end mirror (although I'd prefer a more traditional bar mount, and a set of pannier bags to both let me carry stuff and at least partially disguise the bike from casual scrutiny by Law Enforcement. That's right: I live in the only state in the union (NY) where E-bikes are illegal...

DrkAngel said:
Just received my 2013 EZip Trailz LS - Low Step - Womens's
Unbeatable deal!
$333 - including tax - including delivery!
2 days shipping, from Amazon.com

Pros ...
Price
Complete, ready to go eBike
"Manly" blue color
Small bottle of touch up paint
$20 upgrade for 20mph capable

Cons ...
Heavy steel and battery
Stiff shifter
Budget components
SLA battery

Improvements ...
Painted rack
Large foot on kickstand
Dual - brake motor cutoff
Deeper tread on tires
Quiet motor - XYD-16
Removable freewheel
Guard protecting derailleur
Better looking RMB battery case

Detriments ... bad improvements
Separate PAS\TAG switch
Poor battery condition led placement

Still needing improvement ...
Better rear hub - thin flange poorly supports spoke elbow
Motor side spokes - laced in wrong direction! ... still!
Affordable ... Lithium pack.

Odd ...
The brush side motor cover has slots at the screws.
Possibly to adjust brush timing for higher speed - more torque?

Click on picture

Choose Color : Blue

Confirmed as 2013 Model!

The kits are coming with a better hub but not the bikes ? That is too bad. :(

The kits are cheap on eBay sometimes less than $250.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=currie%20power%20kit&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=0&LH_Complete=1

Put my kit on a Trek Soleride that was in the back of a trailer on the way to the scrap yard.

It had a huge rusted shut hub motor on the front and a broken fork.

Was riding the trike and spotted it and stopped him.

Got it for $20.

Now has a Currie kit on it ! :)

Got it new on eBay with the upgraded hub for a little over $230.

Still the best possible deal for the poorest among us that still need short range transportation badly. Just the thing for the starving student, or a guy with a new dui that needs to get to a co workers house to get a ride to work.

dogman said:
Still the best possible deal for the poorest among us that still need short range transportation badly. Just the thing for the starving student, or a guy with a new dui that needs to get to a co workers house to get a ride to work.

So many ebikes have come and gone but the Trailz still lives on. :)

So simple. Easy to troubleshoot and work on.

No hall sensors in the motor. I hate hall sensors in the motor.. :)

etriker said:
dogman said:

So many ebikes have come and gone but the Trailz still lives on. :)

So simple. Easy to troubleshoot and work on.

No hall sensors in the motor. I hate hall sensors in the motor.. :)

I have to agree. I've been riding ebikes for several years. Granted I'm not trying to do anything earth shattering with them but I have done a fair amount of my own modifications and setup work. And personally I like the using the Currie motors/controllers. They are compact and simple and and can handle upward of 48vproviding you monitor the temp they do fine. Brushes are not difficult to install and if I blow one completely I'm out 60 bucks. WOW!! I've even run them in series at 48v. And controllers (24, 36 or 48v) can be had for under $50. They can pull my ass along at faster speeds then I prefer to go on a bike so there's no problem with power. I used these motors on light weight Wallie World frames as well as the heavier Trailz's frames. BTW, I've said this before, if you take off all the ebike crap from a Trailz frame it's not much heavier then any other steel frame. Beside, I kind of like having a good strong frame under my 220# butt.

I am hoping to do a new build this winter and I have one of the SuperKids BMC kits that has been sitting on the shelf for a year and a half now (which I may decide to sell someday). http://www.thesuperkids.com/15wabmcbr24m.html But I am still planning to use Currie Trailz motors on this build because they are so damn simple and dependable for me. In fact running a single motor at 48v has worked so well I am going to use twin motors again but this time run them at 48v in parallel with a 50a controller. I'm not looking for speed though. It's pulling power I want.

So I guess you ether like the Trailz or you don't. And like many others I happen to like them very much. Oh yeah, one more thing dogman, I'm hardly a starving student or one of the poorest among us. In fact I'm guessing even though I retired 5 years ago at age 60 my income is still in the upper tier among us. So I think I can afford a more expensive ebike if I wanted it. So this constant BS of a Trailz as only being good for starving student, newbies or the as you put it "the poorest among us" is just that.......BS.

Bob

I don't think the post about how inexpensive the bikes are was meant to be "BS." Anyway, I looked at the kits linked on Ebay, and while I'm a novice with these things, isn't that the older, louder motor? It's also a used setup in at least one listing. I'd rather have a whole new bike for less than $400.

Anyone have a good source for the front fender? I don't ride in rain if I can possibly help it, but I do kind of like fenders - especially if they are light plastic.

dumbass said:
So I guess you ether like the Trailz or you don't. And like many others I happen to like them very much. Oh yeah, one more thing dogman, I'm hardly a starving student or one of the poorest among us. In fact I'm guessing even though I retired 5 years ago at age 60 my income is still in the upper tier among us. So I think I can afford a more expensive ebike if I wanted it. So this constant BS of a Trailz as only being good for starving student, newbies or the as you put it "the poorest among us" is just that.......BS.

For the record: I don't like the Trailz because of its numerable deficiencies. But I completely understand why it's attractive to some people. dogman's comment is not meant to be pejorative. In fact I think it is complimentary. He's saying that for an extremely low cost, one can have a 100% ready to use ebike. No technical knowledge is required.

Edit: Spelling

SamTexas said:
dumbass said:

For the record: I don't like the Trailz because of its numerable deficiencies. But I completely understand why it's attractive to some people. dogman's comment is not meant to be derogative. In fact I think it is complimentary. He's saying that for an extremely low cost, one can have a 100% ready to use ebike. No technical knowledge is required.

I had 2 of them, sold them and made money on both.

Then started to really miss them.

That is why I bought the kit and am glad I did.

Don't miss the evg ebikes.

Don't miss the golden motor hub motor.

Heck, don't miss the Goldwing, Porsche or the Mercedes.

Crazy huh ? :)

First off I respect the opinions of the members on ES dogman included. He is a well respected member of the forum and I certainly have no problem with most thing he says. As I said some people will love the Trailz and some will not. Actually some will hate it. It's all in our own opinions. That being said, I'm not try to defend what I said. Yes, I took exception to the coments but I simply quoting exactly what was stated. And I quote "Still the best possible deal for the poorest among us that still need short range transportation badly. Just the thing for the starving student, or a guy with a new dui that needs to get to a co workers house to get a ride to work."

Now and then I talk to a guy in Cal. (actually a member of ES I think) that told me a few months ago he has ridden his Trailz over 7500 miles in the past year. The best I know he has never even changed the brushes. I'm not sure but I think he said he is still using his original lead packs (1 that came with the bike plus a second he purchased to add distance). He does not own a car and the Trailz is him only form of traspertation. Of course few people would ever try to do what he is doing with this inexpensive bike. But it can be done but this type of information is little known to most people.

Bob

LeftieBiker said:
I don't think the post about how inexpensive the bikes are was meant to be "BS." Anyway, I looked at the kits linked on Ebay, and while I'm a novice with these things, isn't that the older, louder motor? It's also a used setup in at least one listing. I'd rather have a whole new bike for less than $400.

Anyone have a good source for the front fender? I don't ride in rain if I can possibly help it, but I do kind of like fenders - especially if they are light plastic.

I've no idea what kit you are looking at so can't comment. As for the older motor from what I know Currie has switched over to the quiter motors. Of course there is likely old stock still around just as there was old bike inventory that was sold off cheap. But we are not talking about just the kits here. We were talking about a complete ebike for $333. And that includes shipping.

I wish I had one of the "older" motors to compare to mine. My 5 motors all have the old model # but do not have the str8 cut gears that is suppoed to be causing the noise. It would be nice is someone had both style motors and could post a recording of the differnt sound level.

I know I will never sneak up on a jogger while running a Currie motor but I won't scare the coyotes away with it ether. There are a lot of ebike videos posted on ES that have some pretty load motors on them (including hub motors) that sounded as load or loader then my Currie motors. Of course they may have been runnig faster or under more load.

Bob

Yeah that didn't come out the way I meant it to did it?

I just have a warped point of view I guess. So very often, the only other guy on a bike commuting along the same road as me was obviously wobbling along on his kids bike, learning to ride a bike again after his day in court. You can tell at a glance why this poor schmuck is on a bike.

I didn't mean anything derogatory about the poor student though, I was one of the very very poorest in my colledge days. Ever tried to live on a $25 a month food budget? Even in 76 that was hard. Ate lots of jackrabbit, man that was nasty eating but it was cheap protein.

I should have just said it's still the best bang for the buck on an ebike for relatively short range rides. Only the battery size prevents longer rides I'd assume. Then kept my mouth shut about who or why they pinch the penny. I honestly didn't mean anything like saying only a moron with dui's would want to ride one. Came out sounding that way though. :oops:

No doubt though, it's a great buy for anybody who wants to spend less of their wealth on an ebike. Perhaps a bit slow for some longer distance commuters, but certainly rugged and able to climb hills suprisingly well.

OOPS!

Someone realized their screw-up!

Price just jumped from previous $308 to $409!

dogman, Cernainly no problem from my side. As I said I've alway respected what you have to say and your thoughts and comments like so many others have helped me learn a lot obout ebiking.

Have you noticed how many new kits seem to be using the standard low cost Currie type motor lately? And more and more people are trying to find a freewheel or adaptor for the end shaft.

DrkAngel, I'm guessing they screwed up just what happened last year around Xmas. Remember it was ether Wallie World or Best Buy that offered the Trailz for $99. Of course they would honor and orders and claimed all stores and the wearhouses were out of stock. Ah, the good old days ("09) when I bought 2 of them for only $240 each from my local Toys R Us.

Bob

etriker said:

The Currie "add on kits" are iZip, not eZip.
The iZips are the Cadillac version of the eZip (Chevy version?).
Just checked my "stored-spare" iZip Mountain Trailz.
It has:
Aluminum frame
Front disc brake
Better derailleur
and yes
"Proper" alloy rear hub

DrkAngel said:
etriker said:

It has:
Aluminum frame
Front disc brake
Better derailleur
and yes
"Proper" alloy rear hub
My Stored,old model, iZip Mountain Trailz AL - Men's

8 day, from payment, delivery time , from California to New York.
Received in excellent condition.
Think I'll let the pictures do the talking, I'll fill in comments later.

Nice metallic red, perfect condition, FedEx did a good job.

file.php

Front Disc Brake. Quick release front wheel.

file.php

Figured how to adjust Disc brake, very nice!

attachment.php

Deluxe derailleur & "Mega Gear", super low end torque!

file.php

Front steering column is adjustable by angle only. Loosen left & bottom screws to adjust.

file.php

Pedals seem better quality than EZip. ... ?

file.php

Me Likey!

Sorry, never took pictures of the rear hub ... will try to add!

Attachments

• IZip01.JPG
    IZip01.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 6,042
  • IMGP4497.jpg
    IMGP4497.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 6,042
  • IMGP4498.jpg
    IMGP4498.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 6,042
  • IMGP4499.jpg
    IMGP4499.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 6,042
  • IMGP4496.jpg
    IMGP4496.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 6,042
  • Pedals.JPG
    Pedals.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 6,042
  • Scolumn.JPG
    Scolumn.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 6,042
  • Derailer.JPG
    Derailer.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 6,042
Nice looking bike! Does anyone know where to get the battery connector (the ones on the bike) covers I've seen mentioned? Currie doesn't list them as accessories, and I'd like at least one, for the side I'm not using now.

I think these are what you want
http://tncscooters.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=69

They also have an ebay store which is less shipping I think.

I have a bunch of two and 3 wire battery connectors like the ones above.

No, I meant the dust covers for the battery terminals. Someone PM'd me a link to them at curriestore.com, but that site is so badly set up I can't seem to create an account. And apparently you can't buy anything without an account... Anyway, should I be coating the terminal prongs with dielectric grease?

LeftieBiker said:
No, I meant the dust covers for the battery terminals.
Shop for multiple items. Shipping charge! USPS $3.95. Ship 5 for $4.10
LeftieBiker said:
Anyway, should I be coating the terminal prongs with dielectric grease?
I do. Seems to cut down on arcing, sketchy contact etc. More important is to "help" pack fit firmly in rack. I bent rails together using a tourniquet ... tighten then test, repeat.
Others add "Velcro Dots" in pack slots, to tighten.

"Bouncing", rattling pack erodes contacts as well as supplies unreliable power!

New Tip - Shape rack for firm fit with gentle taps from rubber mallet.
Tighten rack near bottom, so that easy to remove except at full insertion.

I don't see any other items I need there. How much is basic shipping? As for the pack rattling, I get a little of that on rough pavement, and was thinking rubber cushions, but the velcro sounds good too. It really holds?

I know some of you are running your EZIPs on 36 volts. I can't (new model) but would anyone want to buy a new Prodeco 36 volt, 12AH lithium top-rack-mount pack and charger? It supposedly has a built-in BMS. If I can find a local buyer (or one who can somehow pick it up so I don't have to ship it) who will pay $350 for it, it's theirs. Prodeco can't seem to get the paperwork in order to get the whole damaged bike *and* pack shipped back to them. The pack has a scratch on it, but it charged fine and has never been used.

I've been searching to see what size spoke wrench to order, and all I see see is spoke gauges and diameters. Whats size or sizes are the nipples on my 2013 Trailz?...?

DrkAngel said:
DrkAngel said:
etriker said:

It has:
Aluminum frame
Front disc brake
Better derailleur
and yes
"Proper" alloy rear hub
My Stored,old model, iZip Mountain Trailz AL - Men's

8 day, from payment, delivery time , from California to New York.
Received in excellent condition.
Think I'll let the pictures do the talking, I'll fill in comments later.

Nice metallic red, perfect condition, FedEx did a good job.

attachment.php

Front Disc Brake. Quick release front wheel.

attachment.php

Figured how to adjust Disc brake, very nice!

attachment.php

Deluxe derailer & "Mega Gear", super low end torque!

attachment.php

Front steering column is adjustable by angle only. Loosen left & bottom screws to adjust.

attachment.php

Pedals seem better quality than EZip. ... ?

attachment.php

Me Likey!

Sorry, never took pictures of the rear hub ... will try to add!

Nice ! :)

LeftieBiker said:
I've been searching to see what size spoke wrench to order, and all I see see is spoke gauges and diameters. Whats size or sizes are the nipples on my 2013 Trailz?...?
3.5mm - .136" for the eZip Trailz 2013 ... red.
I got the assortment for about $10.

Back