How heavy is your bike?

jondoh

1 kW
I was kind of curious about my cyclone bike weight the other day. I was going for light weight. I got on the scale today and think I got it-- 44lbs :) without battery pack. My milwaukee battery pack is approx 10 lbs... maybe throw in a pound for the bag and you have 55 lbs for the bike, motor, rear rack, batteries-- everything! :D So the break down is:
10 lbs batteries
1 lb bag
10 lbs motor, screws, bracket, wires, throttle
34 lbs, bike (the rear nexus hub is a little heavy)

I think around 30 lbs is typical of a "normal" bike with front shocks and aluminum frame. I was at target the other day looking at a schwinn prelude. It's a very cheap road bike but surprisingly, it looks like it has room next to the bottom bracket for the cyclone. It feels pretty light weight-- but that might be because it doesn't have front shocks. Anyway, if i had the time it might be interesting to see if the cyclone kit works better with 700c wheels on the rear (instead of my 24").

So the cyclone kit rides like a normal bike. it doesn't have the drag at above 10mph like the go-hub. It's very easy to ride pretty quickly. The only real problem with this kit is the nexus hub. I got a flat the other day and changing the tire meant disconnecting the brake line and the shifter cable-- what a pain! :?

I'm considering all tire options: tuffy liner, thick tubes, schwalbe tires with kevlar, slime... did i miss anything?

Ever patch a tire without taking the rim off the bike ? ! .. not that hard ! and sometimes convenient !

My bike.. aprox 50 lbs ( 2005 norco chaos, full suspension, double walled rims 8" disk brakes.. BallBearing swingarm instead of bushings.. dual crown front forks.. = heavy... )

Motor + 15 lbs

Battery + 22 lbs ( 72v 8ah nimh )

Total : roughly 80 lbs. :shock: One tough bike tho.

Buzz, you sure just your bike weighs 50 lbs??? :shock:

What's it made of, gold? Where's all the weight? Are the dual crown forks that heavy? I can't imagine the modern bicycle weighing much more than 40 lbs-- just for the bike.

My 1998 Oryx downhill/dual crown is 36lbs.

My 1980-something Miyata 600GT touring bike is also 36lbs

with a harley at 650#
my mbike is a flyweight at 120!
a related question
WHAT IS YOUR CRUISING WEIGHT?

me 144+120 +up to 40# cargo= 264 to 304

fat girl on harley: 650+300= 950!

For cruising weight, add 150lbs for the rider
Then add clothes.

Steel toed boots vs. shoes makes a noticeable difference on power/range.

BTW, I dunno how massive Bike de Merde is, it must be about 40 lbs...

Around 50 pounds. Izip cruiser enlightened. 48 stock + lights + rear aluminum seat post mount rack.
My previous bike was an 80s schwinn world road bike. Large steel frame, 27 inch wheels. Probably weighed at least 35 pounds.

Probably about 110 lbs by now.

Batteries: 30#
Bike: 30#
Motor: 25#
Battery Boxes and Incidentals: 25#

Bike = 39lbs
X5 = 25lbs
SLA's = 56lbs
Me = 180lbs

I don't stray from the streets..

Currie Mongoose/IZIP 24V cruiser bike. All-steel.

Presently has an added 14.4V BatterySpace NiMh water bottle lighting battery.
Today it has a blue-cased Drain Brain, the speedo/backlit version.
Stock pair of 12/12 SLA bricks in the black painted box.
Doubled-up set of cheap Nashbar brake trusses on the front.
Shimano parallel grip calipers on front w/shimano pads. Quiet and smooth.
Nashbar beartrap pedals on stock steel cranks.

Better brake levers than stock. Front brake lever on right.
Non-stock 2.5" wide slick Bontrager Big Hank tires, fenders removed (don't fit well anymore)
long handlebar (10$ from Niagara Cycles), reversed the stock stem for added reach.
Trailtech headlight housing, just for the retro look. MR 16 20W narrow spot lamp.

Thudbuster is set back by shortening its elastomers.
Likewise, the seat is full back.
Full upright, lean back, pull on bars, dig pedals.
The hell with wind resistance, lol.

I've put a smaller gel seat on it since this pic of several months ago.

Upgrading to 37V of Lipoly battery soon, I hope.

89 lbs, 29 F / 60 R

have set the seat and Thudbuster post 'way back,
for better pedaling and deliberate weight transfer to the rear tire;

better braking balance. Stops OK.

with me on it:

234 lbs, 63 F / 171 R

-----

I can and do jump off curbings at full power.
the bike is crude in its way, but sturdy, rattle-free and unbreakable.

my mbike has only 24# F
when i sit on it it stays at ~24# F
weird Huh?

My bike weighs about 55 pounds before the battery. With the lifepo4, it comes to 66 pounds. It's mostly nice and low, so it kind of rides like a "regular bike"(As compared to my past frankenstein creations.).

My bike weighs 80 lbs w/ SLA's

With me it weighs 250 lbs. even :mrgreen:

Both my recumbent and my smaller kids mountain type bike weigh 30 pounds as "normal bikes".

With XLyte front 404 on 20", and XLyte 72v, 20a controller, and 960 WH of YardWorks LiMn batts in 2 packs, plus my self built charger, DMM, control panel, a few tools and flashlight headlight, both bikes weigh 83 pounds.

After removing BMSs and batt cases I'm down to 75 pounds. If I remove one of my two 6ah, 84v fully charged batt packs, I lose 11 pounds and have 64 pounds total.

Bike is much easier to "kick around" riding or walking/manouvering with only 64 pounds, so I'm looking to create a velcro based mounting system that easily allows me to add or remove 1 of the batt packs, depending on the range I need for a given ride. Since I have on bike charging, I can also get better range by stopping and recharging every 12-24 miles, depending on my speed and hills.

I'm about 170 pounds lately, so with all batts: 75+170 = 245. My 2 kid trailer, filled with my 2 kids and a small bit of cargo add 100 pounds for a total of 345 pounds !! Range is REALLY impacted if I have to do hills with 345 pounds of total weight. I seem to get maybe 65% of the range I get versus just me on the bike.

Back