Panniers, trailers, and other cargo solutions

spinningmagnets

Staff member
There's already an epic multi-page battery housing thread, this is just for cargo boxes. We'll see how it goes. I was inspired by two instructables posts.

Top one is a plastic ammo-box for belt-fed 25mm, 30 inert shells (non-exploding practice ammo). I don't have one of these boxes in front of me, but the 25mm shell is a roughly one-inch slug X 5.4-inch (137mm) length. I suspect the interior width is 5.5 inches / 140mm (slightly less than a dollar bill). The 25mm gun (.98-cal) is found on the M2-Bradley, and is an option on the "air-droppable" LAV-III/Stryker.

The second example is plastic waterproof charcoal containers, available at most big-box hardware stores.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ammo-boxes-for-Panniers/
FRJL93E5VLEWT14F9A.LARGE.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/Waterproof-Bicycle-Pannier-Boxes/
FN6DYFBGPVEVYDK.LARGE.jpg

These are a little smaller, but cheap, strong, waterproof, and available. $15 ammo drybox from Cabelas. It's 8-inches wide, and the side is 10-inches tall by 16-inches long. If you like this, but want something a little taller/wider/longer...there are many brands avaiable when searching "dry box".

This one is 15-inches tall, 13-inches long. http://www.opticsplanet.com/mtm-sportsmen-s-plus-utility-dry-box-15-5x8-5x13-orange-spud2-35.html

http://www.cabelas.com/ammunition-cases-holders-cabelas-dry-storage-ammunition-box-1.shtml
s7_216741_999_01

I got these bags for my Mundo, not real expensive, very practical. Perfect bags for my needs.

Tool Bag

http://www.willieandmax.com/Store/ToolPouches/tabid/131/catpageindex/4/ProductID/491/Default.aspx

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/willie-and-max-tool-pouch/part/WM-TP100

Toolbag can be mounted vertically or horizontally. On handlebars or Forks.

Saddlebags have a mono strap, rests over the a rear rack.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/willie-and-max-touring-saddlebag/part/WM-SB311-05

Both are available at Amazon and Ebay.

Attachments

• tool bag.jpg
    tool bag.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 9,746
  • saddlebagA.jpg
    saddlebagA.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 9,746
You've probably seen my big metal boxes on DayGlo Avenger and CrazyBike2, but they are made from old rackmount test equipment boxes. The ones I use now are aluminum, but there are steel cases taht coudl be used too. They're pretty tough; I did bend one up some when I clipped a vertical post on an underpass railing with it's front edge at speed (instantly stopped me, just about), but it didn't break or tear open, or come off the bike.

You can get cases like these at many electronics salvage yards, or buy up really old server cases off ebay, or whatever. Same thing with old test equpiment (some of which can just slide right out the front, so you can still use the test equipment without the case, if you like). Some places just throw this stuff away, so you might get it for nothing.

They're pretty big--compared to a shopping cart, for instance:
pods vs shopping cart IMG_6460.JPG

The lockable lids are the tops off of rackmount server cases, using the case / system locks from different PC cases. (ideally I'd use a pile of old IBM AT-case locks I have, but I don't have keys for any of them. :( ) The lids are attached via piano-hinge salvaged from seat/compartments discarded from someone's van conversion, IIRC. (the old lid hinges were just cabinet hinges).

They're large enough to contain an entire 30lb bag of dog food and still close the lid; a 40lb bag will fit almost completely inside. There is a lot less room when i use the styrofoam liners in them to keep things cold or hot (and to reduce echoey noise); the styrofoam is repurposed insulation from the fish and plant and reptile shipping containers we receive at work each week, which would otherwise be discarded. So as it wears out from use (flaking away) I have a never-ending supply of new liners. :)
CrazyBike2 hauling 100+lbs of dogfood DSC05755.JPG

CrazyBike2 hauling ~70lbs of dogfood DSC05139.JPG

pod loaded with dog food DSC03714.JPG

They're also large enough to carry a seated 40lb+ dog. ;)
hachi in pod DSC02571.JPG

Or a whole bunch of assorted stuff, when the rest of the bike configuration allows it:
View attachment 11

With them mounted high enough so the tops are level with or above the rear tire, I can also use them as a wide cargo rack that can hold up at least 80-100lbs, although this doesn't make it very easy to maneuver--much better to have that weight *in* the boxes than on top of them, whenever possible. But they *are* handy for putting another box across to contain more groceries when shopping, so I can fill up the two boxes with heavy and/or cold stuff, and put the lighter and unregulated-temperature stuff in the box on top. Easier to deal iwth in traffic than a trailer.
pods as rack with dogcrates DSC04583.JPG

pods as rack with dogcrates DSC04584.JPG

Just regular grocery shopping:
CrazyBike2 hauling groceries DSC05148.JPG

View attachment 9

This is how I built the one on DayGlo Avenger
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2008/12/cargo-pods-modular-connectors-and-some.html
which is featured in the pic above with Hachi in it. I dont' recommend the rivet method shown; it won't hold a lot of weight and they'll break from vibration (and they weaken your stays). But you can do what I did later on and cut slots on either side of the line drawn in one of those pics, and use hose clamps thru them and around the stays to secure everything--that works pretty well, if you use enough of them in the right spots on both seatstay and chainstay.

They'll work a lot better if you build a proper sturdy mount for them that is securely bolted to the frame, but they will work with the clamps for lighter loads--just don't go hauling big bags of dog food, or big dogs, in or on them with just the clamps. ;) Over time the clamps will tear thru and bad stuff happens.

Somewhere on my Electricle blog, there are also posts about using kitty litter buckets for pods, whcih is what I used for non-basket applications before the metal boxes. They're water-tight, fairly tough, and lockable if you use something like a shed-door hasp and padlock. on each side of the lid (or a cabinet hinge on one side and padlock/hasp on the other). But the plastic rots pretty quick in the Arizona sun, so you have to paint htem, and even sanded down paint doesn't stick well to the knds of plastic they are usually made of. Either way, the Tidy Cat red/yellow or blue/yellow buckets are the best ones for the application. All the others are flimsier than the TC buckets, by quite a bit, and crack much more easily.

Steel ammocans can work, too, but so far I've only used those for battery boxes. 50-cal cans are the largest I've had in my hands, but Iv'e seen bigger ones. They're also all water-tight, and quite tough. Below shows the white ammocan under/to the side of the seat, just forward fo the metal cargo pod. I oculd probably put three or four of those ammocans inside the pod, volume-wise, and at least two actually would fit in there with room around htem both. ;)
pod vs 50cal ammocan DSC07114.JPG

I have yet to make the support frame for them and use them in practice, but big bags like these computer-case carrying bags (salvaged when CompUSA shut down a few years back) can also work. If you already have an Xtracycle or similar, you could just strap them right on. I expect there are bags similar enough to these still avaialble as luggage carriers that you could find something nowadays. One of the metal cargo pods is in the pic to the top right for size comparison.
compusa pc case bags vs pods DSC02565.JPG

Frame will be made from these old aluminum cots:
compusa pc case bag frames DSC02567.JPG

Something else I've used is the big ABS battery boxes from powerchairs: Some of those use two car-battery-sized SLAs that slide onto a rack behind the seat. So the boxes are just bigger than a car battery, and fairly tough. If you mount them using the part designed for that, they'd probably last forever. You'd basically use a rectangular ring around the top (like the top edge of a regular bike basket) to hang them from, letting the bottom rest against or be bolted to the side of the bike. But don't mount htem using a plate on the inside to spread the load, becuase they'll just rip at the corners instead. :( Especially on bad roads with no suspension and heavy loads in them.
Battery Box Splitting Open DSC05578.JPG

Pic below shows one used as the 48V20Ah Vpower pack battery box at Death Race 2011.
powerchair battery box on CrazyBike2 DR2011 DSC04259.JPG

A trailer is naturally another option for cargo, but I can fit so much in the pods that normally I don't need to use the trailer--it's just easier or lets me haul bigger stuff, or use them plus the trailer for lots of stuff at once.
pod vs bell trailer DSC05337.JPG

And if need be, the sides come off the boxes for stuff that won't fit in them width-wise:
pod with side off DSC03535.JPG
and could then be tied down with paracord or bungees. I've done this a few times, once with a microwave oven and another time with a chair.

I have a pair of panniers made from 25 pound Tidy Cat buckets

1333573064.jpg

two pairs of rope hooks

tarp_rope_hook_knob_end_n220-533.jpg

and a couple of tarp bungees (to hold down the bottom ends of the buckets).

315pGSw8%2BRL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

The cat litter buckets are roomy enough (though the 30 pound kind are better), and much lighter in weight than most similarly sized lidded buckets. They are free for the taking at the local recycling center.

Chalo said:
The cat litter buckets are roomy enough (though the 30 pound kind are better), and much lighter in weight than most similarly sized lidded buckets. They are free for the taking at the local recycling center.

I need to get myself down there to Ecology Action and find some of these. Would work great as battery/cargo holds behind my recumbent seat.

Yeah, those are the ones I referenced above. (presently all of mine are in use keeping dog food safe from pests). I added some pics from my old blog:
CargoTrailerSunlightLeftsideWTestbike.JPG
TrailerHitchOblique.JPG

I can't find any pics of when I mounted them down along the sides. :(

Also, I forgot abotu these, but I once was going to have "streamlined" (-looking) cargo pods, made from old vacuum-cleaner bodies:
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2008/01/cargo-pods-that-dont-suck-anymore.html
Dirtdevil+vacuum+case.JPG
Dirtdevil+vacuum+case+(open).JPG
View attachment 2
Samsung+vacuum+case+(open).JPG

Amberwolf, if there was ever an apocalyptic scenario on this planet where the population was 90% gone and I had to chose a team.....you would be my recycling building guru :mrgreen:

Here's my current configuration on my longtail.

Motorcycle panniers, still looking for another pair for less than $50 at the flea.
Two gym bags behind the cycle panniers. They are only good for carrying soft stuff, or light items. Perfect for the winter coats when coming home in warmer afternooons, or bags of tortilla chips.
The top box once held an aceytelene torch, another great 5 buck garage sale find. Inside that box is a coroplast inner box for 15 ah of lipo.
Handlebar bag on the front, carries a lock, a drink, etc.

I've definitely considered the kitty litter buckets, but really would prefer some more leather saddlebags, or if really rich, some hard cases like pelicans.

Bouncing Betty, 2013.jpg

The other commuter has a more standard bike pannier setup. The rack is a Axxiom seatpost pannier rack, with added supports. Then a standard bike pannier, Schwinn brand I think. The metal toolbox on top carries the pingbattery. Axxiom pannier rack and supports.jpg

Spacey said:
Amberwolf, if there was ever an apocalyptic scenario on this planet where the population was 90% gone and I had to chose a team.....you would be my recycling building guru :mrgreen:

More than just for recycling, I would want AW on my team for turning junk electronics into mad max warrior machines. You're so resourceful!

I use a standard 100lb capacity child trailer for hauling groceries and other bulky items that won't cram into my backpack, not to mention taking my daughter to school, very handy. Not terribly innovative but effective none the less.

veloman said:
Spacey said:

More than just for recycling, I would want AW on my team for turning junk electronics into mad max warrior machines. You're so resourceful!

Haha! :lol: Here's one more cargo solution I forgot to post, also from recycled parts. It's the first trailer I ever had, built out of the backs of two not-quite-identical 24" bikes, 20" BMX wheels (one front and one rear, IIRC), and the headtube off of (I think) one of those bikes, plus some pieces of a metal computer desk (tubing, flat plates pre-punched iwth lightening holes), and two foot-plates off a washing machine used as gussets on the headtube. And some bits off an ex-lawnchair.

http://electricle.blogspot.com/2008/04/bike-trailer-for-cargo.html
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2008/04/better-pics-of-cargo-trailer-smaller.html
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2008/04/trailer-nearly-makes-full-trip-till.html
http://electricle.blogspot.com/2008/04/youd-think-i-made-trailer-to-carry.html

file.php

The pivot mount at the bike end is very different now, as the original pretty well sucked (the one that's in all teh pics of the articles above). There are lots better ways to do it anyway, and would be much better done low down to the ground, even with the bike axles--I just didnt' realize how problematic it would be at the time. The flashlight on there in the pics isn't used when the trailer is on it.
file.php

file.php

My other recycled-parts trailer was more of a success, but again used the same type of hitch (becuase I wanted something strong, which this definitely is, and becuase I already had the other end of this kind of hitch on DayGlo Avenger, my main bike that didnt' have a good balanced way to easily carry big heavy unwieldy cargo right on it, unlike CrazyBike2). It also used much larger wheels, from a 26" wheelchair, mostly because they had quickrelease axles and that was a great way to build a trailer I could stow in a corner when not using it, unlike the bigger-than-wheelchair-sized monstrosity above.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18671

First it was a flatbed, and then I bolted a dog kennel to it, which almost always stayed attached as it turned out to make a great bin to carry stuff in, though sometimes I left the top off the kennel and sometimes I left it there so I could lock the whole thing up as a giant cargo box.

file.php

file.php

And just to make sure people can see it:
file.php

Full of dog food
file.php

same load with cover removed
file.php

It really needs smaller wheels, and a better hitch.

I was just about to click buy on a single wheel trailer from Nashbar, then decided to take one more look at my bike junkyard frames. When I realized I had a pair of frames ideal to weld together into a FS longtail, I dropped the trailer idea.

I still like the single wheel trailer idea. They attach at the hub bolt though, so I was thinking a torque plate that integrated a seperate trailer mount sticking out to the rear.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_171082_-1___

dogman said:
I still like the single wheel trailer idea. They attach at the hub bolt though, so I was thinking a torque plate that integrated a seperate trailer mount sticking out to the rear.

Surly Troll and Ogre frames feature a pair of M10x1.0 threads in the dropout plates above the axle, for mounting the spool bosses of their two-wheeled trailers (that attach in the same way as a BOB trailer). BOB Nutz would attach in the same way, using a stub of m10x1.0 axle as a coupler. Smart stuff.

2012-Surly-Troll-Cargo-Commuter-Bicycle04.jpg

Shocking that surly would have it all sorted out. 8) Those guys are definitely smarter than the average bear.

Trailering would seem to have a definite advantage for heavier loads, lessening the impact of loading up panniers. But if your load is just a gallon of milk or juice or beer, a loaf of bread, and dinner fixings, panniers work fine. I've brought dinner home so many times in a set of decent panniers.

I had bikes equipped with front and rear racks, panniers, boxes, baskets, and large seat bags for many years. Then my wife and I gave up the car and motorcycle. At that point, I finally got set up with trailers. Culminating in this one:

washer on bike.jpg

I don't know how I'd get by without cycle trailers anymore.

Yeah baby, that's a very nice trailer!

For very short trips, we pull the generic garden wagons behind the schwinn trikes at work. It's about 1/8 mile from the front gate to the back corner with the dumpsters. Typical load is a couple trash cans full of weeds or clippings from the flower gardens. The hitch is stupid simple, the rear basket of the trike has a board attached, and the cart handle just slips onto that board. Good for 5 mph, as fast as we ever travel inside the compound.

Since the condo's are not that big a complex, we don't need pickups or ute vehicles. We just pedal the trikes, and haul a wagon for the big loads.

:pancake:

Except that those pictures are not intended to be practical everyday cargo solutions, and do not belong in this thread. :(

EDIT: although this one taht you posted over in the funny gif/pic thread *is* definitely in the spirit of the thread:
file-4.jpg

Have wanted a single wheel trailer for at least 20 years so can't say it was a whim but today I picked this one up on Amazon that seems like both a half decent and affordable single wheel trailer as yet to be determined.

Cost $150 + 20 tax + 20 ship from Vancouver

EVO E-Tec Adventure
61JWzLtpAyL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0eMguzMSmU

Above is a YouTube posters dissemble and assemble video of the same model under a different name. A review sum up is it works well if intelligently loaded.

To me this entails keeping the weight low centered and well secured.

I foresee it carrying the batteries and picnic supplies on day trips and food and sleep gear for camp trips to provincial parks etc.

This model seems of better design then a few other *affordable* options. I will know more about its quality later so will be back to post my findings.

910144-01_1.jpg

My travoy type trailer made from a hand truck;

SAM_1180.JPG

SAM_1181.JPG

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=86115&p=1259972&hilit=travoy#p1259972

I found a better trailer at not a bad price so im trying pull the plug on the trailer I just bought and get the bob yak plus instead for $100 more

Amazon $270 ca, Bob Yak plus with the plus being the waterproof bag

The bag apparently is waterproof.and the trailer itself is said to have a good frame.

5044122-NOC02-fallback.jpg

Once you have a hitch it would not be hard to make a trailer from re-purposed something to use as the frame.

teardrop-trailer-1.jpg

My reason for one wheel is the aero advantage and its lighter weight

Really like this build

parlee-factory-tour-carbon-fiber-bike-trailer02.jpg

eCue said:
A review sum up is it works well if intelligently loaded.

To me this entails keeping the weight low centered and well secured.

It also means keeping the total weight low. There's no getting around a one-wheel trailer's tendency to "wag the dog" as long as it pivots from a point some distance behind the rear axle. The more weight is pushing on that lever behind the bike, the sooner you get problems. There's always a critical speed where it starts to wobble, usually a low enough speed that it imposes a performance limitation. It's an inescapable consequence of the trailer swinging in the opposite direction from the bike, when the bike turns.

I think it would be plausible to make a one-wheeled trailer that hitched to the bike's rear axle and had a question mark shaped tongue. It could even hitch on both sides as long as the trailer frame were able to articulate accordingly. And since its pivot location would be closer to the bike's rear contact patch, I expect that it would not tend to wobble as soon or as hard as BOB-type trailer.

Back