Does it charge whilst you ride?

Cowardlyduck

Staff member
I get asked this all the time.
The conversation usually goes something like this...

Wow whats that, is it electric?...How fast does it go?...What range does it get?...blah, blah, we've all had the conversation a million times.

But what always seems to get to me is people's complete lack of understanding of the law's of physics when they ask "Does it charge whilst you ride?".

I generally just say something like...Sure, if you've got Lance Armstrong's legs!
At which point they usually realize what they've just asked, and stop asking questions.

Anyway, I'm curious to know, how do you respond when asked the same, or similar question?

Cheers

You got that right cowardlyduck! Once in a while I get surprised when someone asks me if it has regenerative braking.....but other than those rare occasions people always ask "does it charge when you pedal?" :evil:

I always just say "no.... but it charges when you are going down hill or coming to a stop."

Yep, it's impossible to speak to someone without asking those questions.
I'm thinking of having these made with the print on the back to save time :p

I love it Hyena.

Hyena said:
Yep, it's impossible to speak to someone without asking those questions.
I'm thinking of having these made with the print on the back to save time :p
Love it!

I'd probably get one. :)

I've also occasionally had someone ask, "How long does it take to charge...whilst pedaling?"
Based on my average output of 100W whilst holding down the Regen button on flat ground, it would take about 10hours of non-stop pedaling for me on my Fighter! :shock:

Cheers

Got asked by my boss yesterday "how long do you have to pedal it in the morning before it's fully charged?". I thought he was trolling.

He was not.

The enlightenment may have started in the 17th century but was apparently not completed.

You missed the other daft question that everybody asks: "How long does it take to charge the battery?" I helped out on an electric bike stand at a UK bike show, and it drove me nuts the number of times I was asked that. It was difficult not to be rude.

If I get the question in the OP, I just point at the ES forum site sticker on the cargo pod, and advise them they should do some (weeks of) light reading there, because the answer isn't simple. ;)

Once upon a time I tried to explain, but found it pointless.

On the latter, I usually just shrug and say "I dunno--it's ready whenever I go to ride it". :p

I like to say yes, but you need a REAAAAAALLLLY long extension cord.

Then I explain that recharging while braking is possible, but not enabled on my bike. If they still want more details, I get into pedaling it to charge, and how many burritos it would take to charge the battery, what those cost, vs a dime for a plug in.

I just hit the brake bypass swithc that puts in in to full on regen braking and tell them to pedal it to find out.
I then point out the 'charge while you pedal switch' and tell them they can turn it off when they get tired

The other thing you get asked if you are riding a trike is,

Oh you should add a solar panel so that you won't need any batteries! LMAO

I'd need a solar panel the size of an office desk in order to at least Help me something and take out the converting losses then it doesn't really do much.

But yeah people really thing you can change mechanical energy 100% into electricity, they are totally wrong. When will be the day when peltiers and solar panels hit 75% efficiency ? I hope to be around when that happens.

I used to try to explain why that wouldn't work, But quickly realized that those kinds of people lose interest when any reply takes more than 5 seconds to explain. They would leave anoyed and bored, and I would leave frustrated.

So now I do my best to give them a happily shocked expression and tell them thats a Brilliant idea. Maybe I'll even scratch my chin like I'm realy considering that "brilliant" concept, then shrug and move on. They go away happy to have contributed something (in their own head), and I go away amused.

Drunkskunk said:
So now I do my best to give them a happily shocked expression and tell them thats a Brilliant idea. Maybe I'll even scratch my chin like I'm realy considering that "brilliant" concept, then shrug and move on. They go away happy to have contributed something (in their own head), and I go away amused.
Bahahahaha, awesome response! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

I suppose I could also just tell them, "Yes....but you have to pedal backwards all the time." :p

Cheers

t's like being in a Brazillian prison, but with a better view!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48144469/ns/world_news-americas/t/inmates-brazil-prison-pedal-electricity---their-freedom/#.UMfudqxrPME

Back