Need help with controller...

Boeckstyns

100 mW
Hi all,

A guy I know has a problem with his controller and I said I would ask in here since he doesn't do internet much.
The controller is presumably dead and he would like to find one like it preferably in Europe to save on shipping.
He has a mid drive motor but I don't know the brand. He runs 24v. I haven't dealt much with ebikes yet and I haven't seen a controller like this before with this kind of wiring.

So what I would like to ask you guys is:
Can anyone decipher the wiring on this controller?
Does anyone know a European supplier?
Can any 24v controller be used with the appropriate wiring?

Here's the controller:

35k76e9.jpg

2hx3es6.jpg

vghcwi.jpg

rtkme8.jpg

Hope someone can help me help my friend.

Happy New Year!

It would be easy enough to use just about any similar power, 24v 30 amps brushless controller, once you rewired a bit for the throttle plugs to have a different configuration. Or buy a throttle to match the new controllers throttle plug.

You'd have to cut a few wires on the new controller, and add your throttle, and ebrake plugs to the new controller. Then figure out the correct wiring sequense for the three power and 5 halls wires to the motor. A bit tricky for a first timer, but not really that hard. Easier if you chose a sensorless controller for sure.

24v choices are fewer, but ebay usually has china vendors that sell cheap, and don't charge much to ship a controller.

dogman said:
It would be easy enough to use just about any similar power, 24v 30 amps brushless controller, once you rewired a bit for the throttle plugs to have a different configuration. Or buy a throttle to match the new controllers throttle plug.

You'd have to cut a few wires on the new controller, and add your throttle, and ebrake plugs to the new controller. Then figure out the correct wiring sequense for the three power and 5 halls wires to the motor. A bit tricky for a first timer, but not really that hard. Easier if you chose a sensorless controller for sure.

24v choices are fewer, but ebay usually has china vendors that sell cheap, and don't charge much to ship a controller.

Doh... :shock:

Check out the pic dogman..its a brushed controller :p Too much beer last night ???

OK, It does say BLDC...on the label..but check out the wiring clearly a brushed controller .

I have the other way round over here..A Thompson Duo bike..with the wiring clearly Brush less...but controller stating ..brushed

So to Boeckstyns,
Yes any Brushed DC controller will work ..just get one of the same voltage. E-bay the best bet..it will be from China though, but I have ordered many and never an issue.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=24v+500+W+brushed+controller&_sacat=0&_odkw=24v+brushed+controller&_osacat=0&_from=R40

OK, so most of them only say 500 or 35 watt. so teh 500 is only 20 amp..but I have a few similar ones and my Watt meter has shown reading of 1500 W through it, so they should be powerful enough

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/QXMotor-Style/Electric-Bike-Controllers-/_i.html?_fsub=6552229018

Whoa. Thanx Niel.
Good eyes there!!!
I've only played around with brushless stuff so maybe thats why this controller seemed so wierd in the wiring to me. But thanx a lot again for clearing that up for me!!!

Ummm ..maybe I am going to have to back pedal here...and apologies to dogman :oops:

I just looked at the picture again.and spotted that other bundle of wires, and its hidden label, just behind the orange cable

vghcwi.jpg

I saw motor out and Red and black. on the label, and looing jsut at that pic thought of the white as maybe a temp sensor out , that would pair with common ground.

Now I am back on a proper PC and not looking at it on the iPhone, I see the other pic with the big thick white wire.

The white could be part of a 3phase BLDC winding, but this could also still be a brushed controller, and that is maybe a revers or two speed feed?..Grasping at straws tryign to redeem myself :lol:

Would need another pic of the other small plug with its label hidden

Thought I could see just the top of some writing, just underneath what appears to be a black grommet in the picture.

OK, so that plug..how many wires 5?

Guess I have to eat my words and apologise to dogman :oops:

But advice still stands..IF it is a standard BLDC motor, just get a controller from either e-bay or Ed Lyen in USA. He coudl get you the controller within a week I am guessing, going on how quick he is posting stuff

http://www.lyen.com/

a 6 FET mini monster controller will do just fine

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18744

or Justin in Vancouver
ebikes.ca
http://www.ebikes.ca/store/photos/C3635-NC.jpg

all depends if he can mod them to run down to that voltage.

How many wires on the small hall connector? just 5 I hope

you need to identify the ground, and the 5 volt out and then that just leaves the other three being the ones that connect to the hall sensors outputs.

What colours are the hall wires?

Put power back in to the controller and see if any of the wires on the hall connector put out 5 volt..OK if it is dead then you won't get any thing , but it is worth a try. the colour coding might help. but since the thick phase wires are black red and white, and power wires are also red and black, distinguishing between power and hall /phase wires is going to be a pain

Get out a multi meter and at the controller end, find which one is connected to the battery negative.

The halls are not really the issue. Those I can figure out. It's more the bundle of the throttle I have an issue with. If it's a brushless controller it just looks way different from what I've seen before.

umm..how is the throttle wire an issue?

it is labeled what the pinout is on the controller.
Throttle is pins 2 4 and 5

Pin 1 is probably battery voltage out for a 'fuel gauge' on the throttle and the other is the brake cut out

Easy to answer whether its' brushed or not.

Open it up.

If the big wires for the motor go to a single set of FETs, and only one or two of the big wires go there, it's almost certainly brushed.

If the big wires for hte motor go to three sets of FETs, one wire to each set, then it's almost certainly brushless.

Even if there is no hall connector, it could stillb e brushless, just a sensorless verison.

AFAICT from that label/connector diagram, the little connector it shows just above the actual red/orange wire coming out of the case appears to be just a physical representation of the connector that is labelled on the righthand end of that label. But I can't really tell, and that eosn't exaplaint the other little black onnector.

It's a Cyclone motor 700 watts brushless controller (Headline was their brand for some of the controllers a long while along). :)

For wiring information, see the link below:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23203&p=367597&hilit=cyclone+damcard#p367597

its the same as mine 650w cyclone that I am now trying to connect to motor as wire codeing same colour as motor but do not match as when matching have perhaps ruined controller. Will test as above to see if controller is stuffed.
Whyever would someone colour code wire to not match amazes me.

Back