can 700c wheels be used with 29er frame?

emaayan

100 kW
hi..

i'm always been a little fuzzy regarding the difference between a 29er and 700c wheel apart from larger tires. currently i have a rigida sputnik 700c with a shimano alfine 11. can i use that along with the front wheel (currently having a shimano hub i think) on a 29er frame? any 29er frame? how would i know that?

700c and 29er are exactly the same size but by convention 700c rims are narrower road or touring spec and 29er rims are wider MTB spec.

So yes, you could fit a 700c wheel to a 29er frame, but fitting a 29er wheel to a 700c frame might present clearance issues.

yea, but i would need to find something i have an upright position, and not be full suspension (as i need the triangle for the xl mukluk frame bag), a 68 bb shell , and frame only as i can re-use all my current components.

The rear hub for most 700C is 130mm, whereas the 29er is likely 135mm. So using the 700C wheel with wheel hub is likely 5mm short. Unless you are referring to the rim only. Yes, I am a diehard 700C roadie. :)

My rear hub is alfine 11 ,is that OK?

Lyen said:
The rear hub for most 700C is 130mm, whereas the 29er is likely 135mm. So using the 700C wheel with wheel hub is likely 5mm short. Unless you are referring to the rim only. Yes, I am a diehard 700C roadie. :)

Racing bikes use 130mm hubs to comply with UCI rules; modern touring bikes, hybrids, utility bikes, city bikes,and 29ers are all more likely to use 135mm hubs on their 700c wheels. Modern fixed gear and single speed road bikes mostly use 120mm spacing.

The difference between 700c and 29er wheel is entirely semantic. Both terms indicate a rim with 622mm bead seat diameter. Any 700c tire can be mounted on any 29er rim, and vice versa. (But it's generally a good idea not to mount a tire on a rim wider than the tire, or less than 1/3 the width of the tire.)

Both the Alfine 11 wheel and a normally spaced front wheel will fit a 29er mountain bike frame just fine. A single-speed 29er frame would be ideal for simple chain tension adjustment.

So I I'm looking for an xl (I'm 6'3 ) aluminium 29er frame which has a 135mm hub width , a 68mm bb shell, and an upright position, black

emaayan said:
So I I'm looking for an xl (I'm 6'3 ) aluminium 29er frame which has a 135mm hub width , a 68mm bb shell, and an upright position, black

Riding position will come from the handlebar and stem. All 29ers (except the Salsa Fargo 29er touring bike) have minimum height front ends, because 29er wheels and forks are so tall as it is. Consider using a BMX stem and handlebar.

Those specifications are all fairly common, so you can most likely find one that's black. I have enough requirements when I go looking for a frame that I take whatever color I can get.

Actually I was led believe from reviews that frame geometry does have a part in position. This the strengthen when the trek liquid which some how gave me a feeling of an upright posture.. even though I brought it to an LBS who had specilized bikes and challenged him to configure his bikes to have the same seat stem pedals distance ratio as the liquid but it still felt wrong. Not to mention the are limitings of stem height.

emaayan said:
Actually I was led believe from reviews that frame geometry does have a part in position. This the strengthen when the trek liquid which some how gave me a feeling of an upright posture.. even though I brought it to an LBS who had specilized bikes and challenged him to configure his bikes to have the same seat stem pedals distance ratio as the liquid but it still felt wrong. Not to mention the are limitings of stem height.

Maybe you should compare the geometry chart of the Trek bike to that from one of the bikes you didn't like as much, so you can find out the dimension that differs most. In my observation of a lot of 29ers, they are all pretty similar in frame dimensions.

There are many factors other than frame front height that affect fit, and almost all 29ers are nearly identical in those regards. I like a 70 degree seat angle, for instance, but almost all 29ers use close to a 73 degree seat angle (like most modern MTBs). So if I want a commercial 29er, I accept a roughly 73 degree seat angle as part of the deal. I can use a seatpost and saddle that allow plenty of setback to adjust the fit.

The same way, if I want higher handlebars, I have to get bars or a stem with built-in rise, because 29er frames are all about the same height in front, even among different frame sizes.

I suggest BMX bars and stem because that combination not only provides ample rise, but also allows easy cockpit length adjustment by tilting the bars forwards or backwards. BMX stems have almost no rise, but BMX bars are easy to get with any rise between 4" and 9".

one of the reason i got the trek fx 7.7 is because it came with an adjustable stem, the handle bars were flat though, but that's ok i guess, problem i get num on my hands i trying to change the grips i might discover ones. but it might also be the fact that i have to completely test my palm on the grips as i release and push the thumb throttle (it has a very narrow range).

emaayan said:
one of the reason i got the trek fx 7.7 is because it came with an adjustable stem, the handle bars were flat though, but that's ok i guess, problem i get num on my hands i trying to change the grips i might discover ones.

Straight bars like this
33059.jpg

cause hand discomfort for a lot more people than swept bars like this:
33996.jpg

So you might find that a different bend does you more good than a more upright position with the same bars.

At my shop, many people have gotten the comfort they want from Ergon grips or generic clones:
5141113_01e3aa0371.jpg

oh i allready had the ergonomic grips, ergons and a lot of others, i'm thinking about trying ones with memory foam.

Been wondering about a 700c wheel in 29er frame my self. I had decided it was fine to do.

Been thinking about buying this 29er, kind of referenced as a 74cm-er on the site.
http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/bikes-accessories/bikes/mountain-bikes/bpnBIGW_0000000299801/diamondback-overdrive-74cm-men-s-mountain-bike

This looks like a pretty good deal for $298 for an entry level 29er bike, Bigw might sound like a lame name to international readers but BIGW are the biggest retailer in AU, like are like Target/KMart USA, they actually own Target australia..

I want to get this and put it on this direct drive kit from emissions-free.
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=54

I noticed on international sites dual suspension 29ers are easy to find for around $550 but you can't find a single dual suspension 29er in AU for below $1000.

TheBeastie said:
Been wondering about a 700c wheel in 29er frame my self. I had decided it was fine to do.

Been thinking about buying this 29er, kind of referenced as a 74cm-er on the site.
http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/bikes-accessories/bikes/mountain-bikes/bpnBIGW_0000000299801/diamondback-overdrive-74cm-men-s-mountain-bike

This looks like a pretty good deal for $298 for an entry level 29er bike, Bigw might sound like a lame name to international readers but BIGW are the biggest retailer in AU, like are like Target/KMart USA, they actually own Target australia..

I want to get this and put it on this direct drive kit from emissions-free.
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=54

I noticed on international sites dual suspension 29ers are easy to find for around $550 but you can't find a single dual suspension 29er in AU for below $1000.

It didn't sound lame until you said they were target/kmart :D

That bike is very poor quality. If it were me, with that budget, I'd look for either a used bike for the same or a little less money, or a rigid bike for the same money. At that price point new with a suspension fork, you are just north of the bikes that have a 75 mile semi-rebuildable design life, and just barely south of the bikes with decent quality compromise components. By dropping the fork, the mfg can put $15 wholesale more into the other components, which is huge at that level.

rocwandrer said:
It didn't sound lame until you said they were target/kmart :D

That bike is very poor quality. If it were me, with that budget, I'd look for either a used bike for the same or a little less money, or a rigid bike for the same money. At that price point new with a suspension fork, you are just north of the bikes that have a 75 mile semi-rebuildable design life, and just barely south of the bikes with decent quality compromise components. By dropping the fork, the mfg can put $15 wholesale more into the other components, which is huge at that level.
Yeah sounds all easy to buy a nice second hand 29er in the US but it doesn't transfer that well here.
www.bikeexchange.com.au is AUs best by far used/new bicycle site and there are only 8 used 29ers for sale in my state of Victoria: http://tinyurl.com/achw9nc

emaayan said:
oh i allready had the ergonomic grips, ergons and a lot of others, i'm thinking about trying ones with memory foam.

I have a hard time believing you're not making some basic mistake in setup.

To check that you're in the right general range for comfort and fit, verify that your handlebars are between the same height as your saddle and 100mm above saddle height. Then use your arm (cubit) to determine whether your cockpit length is is the right range. With your elbow on the very front tip of the saddle, and the front wheel pointing straight forward, reach your outstretched fingers towards the handlebar grips. They should reach to within 100mm of the bars. If your fingers reach past the middles of the grips, your cockpit is too short. If they have more than 100mm of space to the grips, your cockpit is probably too long for best comfort.

This isn't all there is to getting a proper fit on the bike, but if your setup is outside this range and you aren't comfortable, then it would be a good idea to bring your setup within the normal range before trying to fix your problem with add-ons. There are legitimate reasons to set up your riding position outside these general limits, but comfort is not one of them.

Back