rigid disk forks?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
nonlineartom   1 kW

1 kW

rigid disk forks?

Post by nonlineartom » Jan 02 2013 3:59pm

I've been riding my 2012 Schwinn Panther for a year now and on the whole it's awesome, but V brakes on mucky winter roads are just rubbish, I burn through pads at an alarming rate and all the brake dust really soots up the frame and gums up the brakes. There is no easy way to add disk brakes to the frame, it does have 135mm dropouts, and the motor has a disc attachment but the aluminium frame can't really be modified.

Can anyone recommend a decent rigid front fork for a 26" wheel that has a disk mount that won't look horribly out of place on a swooopy beach cruiser?
Commuter bike: 10T MAC Schwinn Panther Beach Cruiser on 12S LiPo, super stealth hill eater
Forest trail eater: Crystalyte 5306 KMX Viper with 24" wheel. 100A controller 18S LiPo
Pocket rocket: 8T MAC e-BMX 18s LiPo. Missile for testing to destruction
Summer ride: 8T MAC Kona Joe MTB / chopper / beach cruiser hybrid bike. 24" wheels and a lot lot of style.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Respect and fear the ancient god LiPo and pray he is merciful.

Farfle   1 MW

1 MW

Re: rigid disk forks?

Post by Farfle » Jan 02 2013 4:04pm

If your going rigid just because if the looks, check out the choppers us Springer fork.
Test Review Revise Repeat

TucsonTNT   100 µW

100 µW

Post by TucsonTNT » Jan 02 2013 4:08pm

Check out salmon kool stop pads. Best on the market that I know of.

nonlineartom   1 kW

1 kW

Post by nonlineartom » Jan 02 2013 4:19pm

I wouldn't mind proper front suspension if it will fit, but I think it will make the front wheel too far back, not enough caster angle. I would love springer fork but they are near impossible to get in the UK and I haven't heard great things about the Monark fork.
Commuter bike: 10T MAC Schwinn Panther Beach Cruiser on 12S LiPo, super stealth hill eater
Forest trail eater: Crystalyte 5306 KMX Viper with 24" wheel. 100A controller 18S LiPo
Summer ride: 8T MAC Kona Joe MTB / chopper / beach cruiser hybrid bike. 24" wheels and a lot lot of style.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 02 2013 7:03pm

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jan 02 2013 7:14pm

salmon kool stop pads are pretty good but nothing beats a big disc brake.

Surly sells some rigid disc forks, so do a few other companies. I'm pretty happy with my surly 1x1 but with a 203mm disc brake, and me being 250lbs, it does flex a little too much for my taste.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping ... tegory=703

Here is a company who sells a lot of the rigid disc forks out there.. they're based in Portland, OR i think.
Efficiency is everything :bolt:

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

chisixer6   1 kW

1 kW

Post by chisixer6 » Jan 02 2013 7:24pm

Looking for a rigid disk fork? How 's $50 sound...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 1___202441
Motobecane ..bafang front driver.. 42v
24" girls bike ..ebikekit 20" fwd..75v
24" Schweinn 9c 20"rwd 75v
26" Schweinn Yescomusa 48v 800watt dd
Easy Racer clone LWB.....24" rear e-bikekit 48v ..ready for testing
Hooligan clone , longer rear chain stay.. twin 20"...
fun bike...twin 16" wheels. small rear motor... ready for testing
convert my CLWB recumbent to a front bafung@48v..ongoing

ions82   100 W

100 W

Post by ions82 » Jan 03 2013 12:34am

I've seen a few different types of triple clamp "chopper" forks on eBay that have a disc tab. I bought one for a trike project I'm working on. It was cheap as chips, but I have no idea if anyone is selling them in the UK. It is actually well made and strong as houses, too. It might be worth looking into. It would definitely look right at home on a cruiser bike. Most of them that I've seen have chrome legs. The downside is that they aren't very light.

sanford   1 W

1 W

Post by sanford » Jan 03 2013 3:43am

Came across this site and fork, as I have been looking at front fork options for my Cruiser;
http://www.bigbikes.co/accessories/street-king-fork#1
They have some springer forks on there too, but not with disc mounts. Not many options for Cruiser bikes and accessories in the UK really.

capo   100 mW

100 mW

Post by capo » Jan 03 2013 9:29am

nonlineartom   1 kW

1 kW

Post by nonlineartom » Jan 03 2013 1:39pm

Thanks for all the great suggestion, triple clamp straight forks are pretty but not really practical as they don't have any rake on them so the front wheel would be too far back, they need to position the wheel far infront of the pivot point to maintain that super stable ride and maintain the wheelbase. I'll see if I can get a Surly rigid fork cheap in the UK it seems to keep the cruiser aesthetic with a slow steady sweep with a hefty IS disc mount. I have a BB7 spare so that's sorted.

I'll have to check the headset arrangement I guess because it's not like a mountain bike where the stem clamps onto the outside of the steerer it's a bar that fits inside the steerer, will this cause any problems?

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 03 2013 4:29pm

then jsut make sure yuou get a threaded stem fork, not thraedless.

ions82   100 W

100 W

Post by ions82 » Jan 04 2013 4:15am

nonlineartom wrote:Thanks for all the great suggestion, triple clamp straight forks are pretty but not really practical as they don't have any rake on them so the front wheel would be too far back, they need to position the wheel far infront of the pivot point to maintain that super stable ride and maintain the wheelbase.

The rake on a chopper fork is created by the offset of the triple clamps (the fork tubes are "ahead" of the steerer tube) as well as the dropouts being mounted in front of that. On most of those chopper forks, the tubes are extra long so that you can set it to whatever axle-to-crown height you need (also affecting rake and trail.) However, it's no guarantee that you'd be able to get the exact amount of trail that the original fork has. Still, it would probably be pretty close.