Crystalyte NEW HIGH POWER hub motor...TheCrown

RoughRider

100 W
Hey guys

i just got some pics and specs from Crystalyte about their new high power hub motor called "TheCrown"...and i want to share them with you...

Here are some pics of it:

TC_1.jpg

And here is the stator...alot more space for the copper wire...
tc%20stato.jpg

According to Crystalyte this motor is made for high Voltage(over 100V) and high Amps(over 70Amps).
The weight is only 9kg.

Very interesting...

How did you find out about this?
Geez man that thing looks like a completely different crystalyte Hub motor :shock:
You have an specs and more pics of this thing?

Power to weight ratio should be pretty good. Eager to try one fed 15Kw :twisted:
I wonder about the spokes. From the pic it doesn't look like the flange accepts standard. That would be a big turnoff.

9 kg is NOT very light....I have seen one open in person and was disappointed the stator inside is only about as wide as a statndard motor even though the body looks very wide...guess maybe there is a lot more copper winds ?..or maybe the one i saw was a prototype? seemed as wide as a 3000 or 4000 series motor inside

i got the information direct from Crystalyte

i have just one more pic:

TC_2.jpg

according to Crystalyte:
This motor is with 40mm width magnet and 6mm2 motor phase wire.
It will run up to 100km/h @72V...in the speed version.
It will run 80km/h @72V...in the torque version.

more copper wire inside the stator means that it can handle more current...and more current means more power...

well the X5400 is over 10kg...so, 9kg IS light to me...:)

I guess to get more power you have to add some weight to it. Goes against the rules of a bicycle but I guess most of us are not building bicycles any more, we are building motorcycles.

Looking forward to more info on this one too.

Tom

The idea is to build with the power to hit high speeds but in a bicycle for covert operations.

Get a thick beach cruiser frame, low bars, and fly like the wind.

When's the release date and price?

9kg ( ~20lbs ) and 40mm stator... that's quite good!
That motor is going to have a stupid amount of copper in it, those slots are insanely deep; maybe they will be filled with super thick copper to reduce losses? Too bad they did not reduce the pole count any. I guess they are still designing these thinking that 26" wheels will be standard for a long time.
Don't like the spoke configuration at all, looks like a pain in the ass to deal with.

This motor makes the 53xx look like slow heavy dinosaurs. Makes the 54xx look like a generic copy of the real deal :mrgreen:
I think crystalyte earned my respect again, unless they self-sabotaged these motors by design like they did with the HS/HT motors.

neptronix said:
Too bad they did not reduce the pole count any. I guess they are still designing these thinking that 26" wheels will be standard for a long time.
What does the pile count decide? The less amount of poles the stator has, the higher the KV per turn of the copper?

Cool it looks like it is an all new design
Hope they upgraded their facilities to cast the stator
The last video I saw they were using scrap metal
Which is kind of cool too
Wonder how many x54s will end up in the for sale section

Trackman417 said:
What does the pile count decide? The less amount of poles the stator has, the higher the KV per turn of the copper?

A lower pole count motor would be more efficient at higher RPMs ( given the same lamination thickness ), giving a notable power advantage in a 16" or 20" wheel.

Higher pole counts are better for taller wheels, say 26" and above.

I just finished lacing my own 2 wheels, and first thing I noticed was that replacing broken spokes on this new motor will be major PITA. Or going with different rim size.

broken spokes ?
OK, i am new to electric bikes, but I was riding downhill / mx / enduro for years without broken spokes. And I am a 100 kg rider that doesnt have a "soft" riding style. So if they break they are to small. Once you using the correct size you can forget about the spokes... so its a one time job to lace the rim

dh-paule said:
So if they break they are to small. Once you using the correct size you can forget about the spokes... so its a one time job to lace the rim
I think it's more like a tension problem not spoke size. 13g spokes are really strong if tight enough. Lifeforphysics used to run 14g spokes on a 30kw bike...

Crystalyte is going to use 12g spokes for this baby...so, what do you worry about?

Yes...the spokes are special...but i dont see any problems about it...it is sooooooo easy to bend a spoke to the shape that you want/need...

If you dont want or cant bend a spoke to the right shape, just order some spare spoke directly from Crystalyte...they are not that expensive

If you are complaining about spokes shape...than you shouldnt work on high power bikes...

I am looking forward to see the first test of this motor from a board member...

I would order this baby for sure...just dont have the right setup of a bike at the moment...

Hi All,
Just to give some background information on this motor- It was conceived mid 2012 to out do the competing Cro-Motor in terms of weight, power and efficiency. We had this motor made at first as an all CNC'd aluminum motor to beat the Cro-Motor in a drag race up pike's peak. Magnet Stack is about ~40.5mm and it features an aluminum rotor with much deeper slots for the windings than other crystalyte motors. Diameter is also .5" larger than HS or 5400 series. Weight is right at 20 lbs even. We were planning to attend the race last year, but a high number of sales and a shipment of batteries about 3 weeks behind forced us to call it off and watch from the sidelines.

However, we continued development of this motor. The sample we have had since last year proved incredibly fast and torquey. With a 60 MPH top speed, we decided not to bring it to market just yet and to test further samples with higher torque windings (our insurance is already crazy enough selling what we currently offer). It was developed initially to work with a 104V nominal 60A 15FET IRFB 4115 mosfet sensorless controller. We currently will offer this motor to the public in about a month or so. I would expect a standard retail version of The Crown (If they choose to sell to other dealers) to go for $699 motor only. Our version with myriad changes including 138mm dropout spacing, provisions for multi speed freewheel, new axle, 11g silver plated phases, neo magnets, higher grade laminations, air cooling w/ temperature monitoring etc. I would expect to have a $100-$200 premium above a standard motor. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

The difference from our versions of the 35mm to 40mm is so marginal after all the modifications we have done that we are not going to sell the 40mm version except by special order. The difference from the 40mm to The Crown in terms of acceleration and feel at high power levels is very perceptible and definitely worth the upgrade. The production version can use more of a standard spoke instead of the strange pattern seen in the picture the OP posted (which is used on our samples).

Thanks hi-powercycles for the background informations of this motor...

To me this motor looks more and more like the real deal...with the proven weight of only 20lbs=9kg and better performance than the X5400...

@hi-powercycles
would you post a foto of your prototype...i am curious about the different spoke pattern you have on your motor

Let's release it now, today....yesterday.

Please don't be like Canon. Man, I wanted a camera they announced, but it took about five months before the actual release. I ended up with Nikon.

If you guys are interested in the motor only, I can see about getting some in a hurry by air. We have three versions- Ultra high torque Wound for about 39-43 MPH at 104V nominal, High Torque wound for about 47-51 MPH at 104V nominal, and High Speed wound for 55-60 MPH @ 104V nominal. If you want a custom wind, we can do that as well, just let us know what you want. You can email us at hipowercycles@gmail.com

We can do the first batch for a special price for you guys. We will offer 10 total for the first production batch, unlaced for $699 shipped to your door in the lower 48 states. The version will come with everything we mentioned in our previous post minus the air cooling holes. We can do air cooling, but that will be with the next batch.

I guess I will ask the question everybody is wondering. How do you lace this thing? Lol

We can give you guys the spokes it comes with for no extra charge... we can also lace it for you, but the cost and shipping will increase.

I only have my pre production versions here which were CNC'd from aluminum, and I know the production version spoke angles have changed a bit. So I couldn't tell you exactly how to lace it until we have the motor and matching spokes from the production version here in stock.

Back