Human interest story

Reid Welch

1 MW
By chance, an hour ago, while testing out the Drain Brain,
I came across a bike and trailer.

I asked the owner, would he mind my photographing the trailer?

In Jamaican lilt, "I surely don't mind; in fact you're most welcome."

I made a video interview on the spot.

(to be inserted here when uploaded)

I can only upload the shorter of the two takes this early
(upload woes)

http://www.youtube.com/v/2N12fPH5wx8

Mr. Anderson grants permission to share his video on the web.
(YouTube really compresses things. It was an 8mb file upload...)

Bonus: He did not realize that my ride is electric until I started to leave.

"My bike is worn out. It's time I bought a new bike. Your bike looks like the kind I should get. It looks strong"
(he still didn't know it's self propelled).

"Electric?? Oh, show me!"
(I powered it in a circle)
"Oh, man! I will buy a bike just like that.
I'm ready, now where do I get one?"

I think that a Mongoose like Michael just bought will be ideal for Joe.

He has to haul that heavy trailer home at the end of every workday.

I pointed out to Joe that his trailer can easily contain two used car batteries in series

"I know about hooking up batteries and making things like that".

IMO, Mr. Anderson could not be better off, for less money spent,
than with one of these Currie bikes from, say the local Walmart,
if any are to be found there.
I'll have to check.

Whatever, he'll front me the money if we have to get a bike online.
I will gladly set it up and tweak the thing for a smile.
He has lots of smiles now.

He's so looking forward to this. He said nice things about me... :roll:
so! Don't any of you dare dare disabuse him of his misconception, ok?
:wink:

A nice day for all concerned.

Mr. Joe Anderson

Wal-mart can order them and have it shipped to the store for free (I think). I think the bike would certainly make his work day easier. For what the bikes lack in speed, they make up in torque for such a cheap price. It's true, with a trailer, he could hook up two huge 12 volt car batteries and get a lot of distance out of it without having to worry about melting the motor. As far as the motor is concerned it will seem like the batteries never get tired, hehe.

This would certainly be an interesting story to follow, keep us all informed. Inquiring minds want to know :wink:

Yeah, his bike looks ratty from what I can see of it, but I think I got him beat with Besik. Though it is no more:
besik-1.jpg

knightmb said:
Wal-mart can order them and have it shipped to the store for free (I think). I think the bike would certainly make his work day easier. For what the bikes lack in speed, they make up in torque for such a cheap price. It's true, with a trailer, he could hook up two huge 12 volt car batteries and get a lot of distance out of it without having to worry about melting the motor. As far as the motor is concerned it will seem like the batteries never get tired, hehe.

This would certainly be an interesting story to follow, keep us all informed. Inquiring minds want to know :wink:

Yeah, he'll be so happy with a Currie. And I know their weak points well enough now to prevent dissatisfaction.

This is the first bike trailer (a work trailer) that I've seen.
He's the first guy I've met who sounds really serious to get an ebike--really serious.

So I think it will be a go.
When you hear him speak about his trailer, I think you all will agree:
this is a man of genuine good character.

I meet the best people, and always have, by making acquaintance with strangers.
I used to do it via the Model T I drove every day for my transportation in town. I'd go to the ghettos and give rides to poor people who paid me amply with cheer and amazement that anyone would think of them.
I like to meet people from disadvantaged backgrounds.
They are the best, some of them; no, make that many of them.

They strive and they survive, and some of them get their kids through college,
such as Mrs. Brooks, a retired housekeeper. Her son is a physician and her daughter is an attorney. She is from Honduras and is of color too.
I've known her for 25 years now.

It's so little to do, to give a sign of interest in people whom we meet.

bleh--I am preaching--bleh, stop!

PS: Miami is the poorest per capita of all USA cities.
It is a focal point of entry for immigrants.
Yet the very richest of Americans live here too.
It's pretty stratified here in town.
I live in a multi-million dollar neighborhood--property values are through the roof.
Yet, barely a mile away are the poorest of the poor.
I see them every damn day. I give a buck or a fiver to the genial drug addict even--
am not in a moral position to judge nor discriminate or dictate
just what a person should do, other than perhaps give him reason to be a little less angry.

'Harris' was delighted to have a new set of v brake pads.
He shook my hand next time he saw me.
I didn't need those pads. He did, he really did.

And he puts his spare money, mostly, into a pipe.
So what? He's well adjusted and sane and decent
and no-one bad.

Thats a fantastic trailer. I'm going to save that pic because that is the kind of trialer I'd love to have. I think I could get away with using something like that for work and getting rid of my expensive deisel van alltogether.

Another great story Reid. Its a shame you don't have broadband coz I'd love to see longer vids! What's the deal with broadband in Miami? Where I am (uk) broadband is cheaper than dialup.

Do you have a program like virtual dub? You could hack the larger video into smaller sections.

Like this.. http://www.7gen.com/blog-entry/electric-car-documentary-from-pbs/2074

Hi Nick and Lesss,

The solution is to get broadband--I just hate the local choices/providers, ugh.
It's more costly by far than dial-up; but that's not my objection; it's the providers. They're distasteful. But I gotta do it.

---

for the meanwhile (I'll replace this content eventually), here's audio of the video, along with some screenshots; crude sound dubbed via computer speaker to hand mic. Very lame.

The tiny camera--I'm not used to it yet--
and had my finger over the mic hole at the first.

here is the audio
http://img394.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sound203cv9.swf

the wind chimes

Ah well I can't get the sound to work.
Love the horseshoes though.

Yesterday I met this 40-ish year old dude riding an icebike, it was a really cool looking pre-flatbar era mtb with fenders that had broken and were riveted back together with snips of aluminium sheet. And the most worn-out rings I've ever seen, biopace. The guy said he kept using 'em cause he couldn't find replacements, and although they'd been flipped around at some point he couldn't hammer his bike or the chain would skip across the lumps that used to be gears on the rings. Said it was his 3rd winter commuting. And for some reason, he'd assumed my hub motor was a brake?

End of story.

This is all you need to play the sound file.
http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi
Most browsers already have the Adobe Flash player.

His speech is key.

I need to get in the habit of always taking a camera along for rides.
It's one reason I got a pocket digicam--easy to take along.

Thanks for the icebike story. But we need pictures!

best,
Reid

Allready have flash player, tried it in both browsers, wmp, winamp, vlc. it loads up in some of them and I see the pic, but no sound.

And well I didn't have my camera, sorry.

I was just toodling along with the guy, but at some point we were under the impression we were heading different routes and waved each other goodbye. So I turned right and hammered up a short steep hill (I was getting cold) to stop at a red light on top of it. As I was waiting, he eventually caught up. Apparantly, he had gained a new appreciation for power-assist.

Thanks for posting all that Reid, it was very interesting listening to Joe. Glad you had the camera with you and were able to get the interview.

If you happened to take a side shot of the trailer would you post that, I would really like to see how he connected the body of the trailer to the bike. A local guy here has a utility trailer that connects to the seat post posted on the craigs list for $100 but no photo.

Ah money money money the things we could do if we had it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll get pictures of the trailer in all details some day.
Don't have the needed shot, sorry.

The conestoga wagon look really makes it. He say he got the idea from
"Little House on the Prarie", Francois, and designed it all in his head.
He did the artwork too.

The real authentic roofing is genuine canvas. Painted canvas lasts indefinitely. It's what early trucks and cars employed--before vinyl.

A coat of black, then a color coat whatever you like.
Black absorbs the UV and so prevents rot.
Can last for decades if kept painted.

Elmweaver said:
If you happened to take a side shot of the trailer would you post that, I would really like to see how he connected the body of the trailer to the bike. A local guy here has a utility trailer that connects to the seat post posted on the craigs list for $100 but no photo.
Taken from his post above :wink:

Attachments

• screenshot401wb2.jpg
    screenshot401wb2.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4,541
Thanks guys, I saw that photo also, what I want to see is where it goes after it leaves the seat post and travels down somewhere and somehow to connect to the trailer.

I don't think I can attach a regular axle trailer hitch to my currie motored bike so I am looking for ideas on how to go about buying or making one that attaches to the seat post or elsewhere.

There is a seatpost trailer for sale here but I have no more money this month , he also lives to far away to ride over and see it, thought joe's trailer might give some idea as to how that could work for me later on.

The nashbar kid trailer (now disc.) attaches nicely to a Currie bike.

I saw tonight that they have one, a return unit, for sale for 53 bucks or so.
It's strippable: down to the steel, rectangular frame.
It's light and is not nearly the size of Joe's trailer, but it'd make a good platform for making a half-sized copy.

I have a kiddie trailer. I'll show pictures of it here.
Used to have this stuff up at the old V forum...

I will look for that picture...it's here somewhere.

It works, it's not super HD, but it's secure for towing the unit's rated 100 lbs.

You will have to eat beans for another month now,:cry:
if you like it...
and get that returned bargain unit from Nashbar.

----

Google's new freeware program, Picasa, is pretty neat for organizing and finding pictures.

----addendum: Still looking. Here's the neighbor's dog's better end.

-----addendum: still looking but finding many interesting pictures unrelated to your question.
Picasa also lets me caption the pictures. Neat!

stilllll looking! Will find that hitch shot for sure
:p

---addendum: too many good pictures to pass up.
I have a theory that nobody will buy:
It's impossible for a thread starter to detrack his own thread.
So nobody complain. It would do no good. ha ha!

http://tinyurl.com/ykrx9v

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I get the message...all right, all right!

Sayyy :lol: are there any other trailer pictures you wish to see?
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I just needed $66 dollars more this month then I had so I raided the food money. I will have to save for several months to get a trailer and batteries for what I want to create. But in the meantime I can spend my time designing and thinking it through.

I will watch for a special buy somewhere, my friend got his bike trailer for $20 at a yard sale. Now that I have transportation I can look for a deal like that myself.

If I can find a trailer cheap and a couple old car batteries I should be good to go. I was just trying to figure out how to add the trailer hitch to the already crowded axel bolt on that side of the bike. Thought about maybe attaching it using the fender screw holes instead of the axel bolt but not sure that would be strong enough.

Might be able to have it cut and welded to the motor bracket since that is already using the axel bolt.

On the plus side, there's never much strain on the tongue.
Think about it: the only time any "massive" force can be put to the tongue
is when the brakes are locked.

Say you're going fast and have 100lbs in the trailer, and stop fast.
There's not much force transmitted, not really.

The nashbar type of connector is cool because it's fully compliant to all motions (that's a HD spiral spring) and the attachment takes no more time than to turn that hand knob tight, and loop the nylon safety strap around the chainstay.

Cutting welding, -reengineering- may be cheaper for you, if your welder works free. Add up the costs and see what you find. There are better quality trailers out there---the Burleys, etc. But I like this rig for its small 16" wheels give a low CG, and the all-steel construction is stiff and fatigue proof,
and yet, it weighs but little. It could become a great miniature Conestoga wagon.

I've done nothing with it yet, though.

Ok cool I never saw that type of hitch before, all the ones I have seen have a plate with a hole in it that fits over the axel bolt and is bolted on, then the trailer connects to it.

So yes the type you have is very simple to use and does not have anything to do with the axel bolt. Thats the kind I need to find also then. You said it was a nashbar type hitch but the only trailer I saw on the site was a "bob" type trailer costing mega bucks.

I need to look for what you have for sure. Thanks for finding the pictures that really helps me know what to look for now.

Good news, maybe: Nashbar now offers a Bob trailer knock-off.

It's relatively affordable.
The bob design tracks neatly behind a bike without adding hazardous width.
Weight 12lbs, steel construction, capacity 45lbs.

Let's see I can find a picture. I recall that nashbar recently had a returned bob-copy for discounted resale
-I think it was a hundred bucks or so. Gone now.

Found--with shipping to Fl as an example, it's $145.
Base price, $129.

http://tinyurl.com/ycredl

How would it hitch up to a Currie, I wonder?

Back