Multi-Voltage Testbed - eZip

DrkAngel

1 GW
I picked up a, presumed, fair quality multi-voltage capable brush controller. (20-72v 25a CONTINUOUS 30a SURGE.)
72V capable - confirmed 80V caps.
20V 24V 36V 48V 60V 72V PWM High Power DC Motor Speed Controller - $38.88

Just confirmed that the controller in my 2008 eZip Trails was getting a bit flaky, so it shall receive the new controller and serve as a testbed for various voltage and re-gearing combinations.
Yes, it will fit as oem replacement.
Tho, I will scavenge connectors from dying oem controller.
At 5 years and 5500+ miles it has proven very durable ... after I re-spoked the rear wheel.
One side of pack contacts "melted", and I replaced with a durable AC power cord plug, So I will be able to test oem style packs, as well as anything I can hook a power cord to.
Most importantly, the motor has served sufficiently well ... that a fiery Viking style funeral might be appropriate.

I intend on testing 22.2V, 25.9V, 33.3V, 37V, 44.4V + ... ? See - Homemade Battery Packs
I also will try 20T and 16T wheel freewheels. See - EZip - IZip 20mph Upgrade $20!
As well as motor sprockets of 9T, 11T, 12T, 13T, 15T. See - Re-gearing the eZips - Simple Mods!

Results, impressions, problems etc. will be documented and posted.
I intend on using the results for determining mods for my more "upscale" eBikes.

dnmun said:
can you take close up pictures of the insides and the traces on the back side?

they have a simple pot for a throttle, two wire.
Probably won't disassemble unless I have a problem ... noticed 7 FETs and 2 large 80V caps.

3 - wire pot (3 wires connected anyhow )
Also HALL capable ...

In Chinglish, but decipherable ...
" 7) the line of control functions: (a variety of control methods)

a: default potentiometer control.

b: Hall handle the control wiring methods: The Thin Red Line, then Hall's positive, the thin green line connected to the output side of Hall, the thin black line. Hall negative.

c: control (voltage signal analog control 0-5V): positive voltage connected thin green line, the ground then a thin black line, The Thin Red Line vacant then. "

DrkAngel said:
3 - wire pot (3 wires connected anyhow )
Also HALL capable ...

In Chinglish, but decipherable ...
" 7) the line of control functions: (a variety of control methods)

a: default potentiometer control.

b: Hall handle the control wiring methods: The Thin Red Line, then Hall's positive, the thin green line connected to the output side of Hall, the thin black line. Hall negative.

c: control (voltage signal analog control 0-5V): positive voltage connected thin green line, the ground then a thin black line, The Thin Red Line vacant then. "

Hall configuration does not work with DY-1 model multi-compatible controller!
Still have to try DY-2, CK-1 and CK-2 models.

Works fine with included pot, so would be fine with pot based throttle, Magura etc.

Wanted to investigate an oem eZip run at 29.6V (8s) as an alternative to my 25.9V (7s) w/16T mod, object being maximum power while limiting to the "legal" 20mph limit.
Combined with maximum capacity fit into oem eZip battery pack.

Found my testbed!
My 2009 eZip Trialz LS has a controller that runs at 22.2V, 25.9V, 29.6V, 33.3V and 37V.
22V to 42V capable.
(Surprised - controllers after mid-2008, 2011 and 2013 were tested as limited to ~30V input)
I will be building a 9s14p Lipo pack (33.3V 30.24A) with 3 - 3s14P bricks, the 3rd brick with each parallel lead being of 10-9ga tinned copper braid. The purpose being ... to have a multi-voltage capable pack capable of quick swapping of input voltage.
Pack will be in a sturdy cooler mounted between bars and fork, mounting volt-amp-watt-Ah meter on bars, with 12ga wire run to controller.

This will allow me to determine my cruising amp, more importantly watts, at various cruising speeds and input voltages.

Will post results sometime after NY rains end.
Might get a lot of projects going.
Weather forecast is for rain and flood watches for the entire coming week!

Back