why am i getting so many flats?

emaayan

100 kW
for some reason lately i've been getting way too many flats, i've examined the tube, and in this one i found 3 punctures, however they were surrounded by these abrasions you see, what could cause this? PHOTO_20130325_163643.jpg

Is that on the inside or the outside of the tube? You would be surprised how easy it is to have a spoke poke through your tube if the rim tape is not on just right. That type of thing will lead to repeat flats. Also, check there is no thorn or anything stuck in your tire.

Is that Abrasion on the rim side of the tube, or the tire side?

If it is on the rim side, you need to de-bur the rim and/or run good rim tape. Use either Velox rim tape, or hocky tape. nothing else is as good.

If it's on the tire side, then you are probably running too small of a tube for the pressure you're running at. It could also be a cheap tire or rim that isn't sized properly, an is slipping. Try running at higher pressure to keep everything pressed together better.

Looks like what I got. Use double rim tape or run ultra thick tubes. Or better yet, do both. So far after 1K miles no problem. I use to get flats around 500 miles before the fix.

this used to happen on both, the rim tape is really old on the front tire, i never considered it might a problem. the pressure was around 60 psi, (which was the max in the continental tire )

it's a conti 42 or 40, can't remember exactly. (tire is 700c).

I swear by the "slime" extra thick tubes. They are heavy but not an issue for us on electric bikes! Put on plenty of rim tape, use a slime tube and should not have to worry about flats again...

that WAS a bontrager slime tube...

i got a few flats - i ended up putting mr tuffy and it did the trick
i carry spare tube/pump with me as well just in case- as i do long trips

Dribbling out specks of information one post at a time is not gonna help your cause.

Please provide wheel/tire sizes, tubes sizes, liners and/or if any sealant is being used. In addition, are the punctures located on inner or outter tire/tube circumference? Are these punctures debris or unkown origin?

Abrasions like those in your picture can happen for the period of time the bike is ridden with very low tire pressure.

Do you know about and understand "pinch flats"?

Sometimes, even with all the best preparation, flats can happen in bunches. I've gone for years with nary a problem and then may experience 3 in one week.

What works for me and my 26" wheeled mtn bike might not work for everybody. But with 1000's of miles riding crap roads I've learned how I deal with this issue. Fat tires, thick tubes plus couple ounces Slime to hopefully slow the leak enough to reach service point. Slime works best with thicker tubes.

But when it happens, I learned my roadside repair lesson from poor African kids who can patch a tube without completely unmounting the tire. Merely slip the tube out from under the bead at the point of repair.

I seem to like to get flats only when the tires are new. Last flat tore a hole half an inch long in a brand new tire and tube. Like on mile 6. :roll: :evil:

My vote is the holes came first, then the rash as it was rode with lower pressure. Rough rim tape or any other pokies on the rim don't help.

Pound a wheel good enough, and you will poke holes in it with the spokes. Another possibility is debris inadvertently left between tube and tire. The one I do all the time is ride over thorns long enough to poke in the bottom and out again on the rim side.

Electric riding is hard on the rubber. On a racetrack, I wore out tires from the inside before the outside, so much heat in em.

Carry a rag if you ride slime. Otherwise you have to use your socks to clean the tire enough to patch a big hole using the Africa trick. If no water, use dirt, then the rag.

Many possible reasons why you are having many flats.

With power, bicycle wheels and tyres are wearing much faster. It is normal maintenance to replace tube and tyre quite often, and to lace fresh wheels at the beginning of every season. Old tyres and tubes are easier to puncture, and a wheel that is not true wears its tyre faster. Adequate air pressure is a must, riding a tyre too low or too high will result in shorter lifespan, and better chances of a flat. Build and maintain your wheels like you are gonna ride 50 Mph on a downhill trail, then they will be very good for the street.

I was getting flats every couple of months, 2-4 times during summer.
Ditch thin regular tube and get 3-4 times thicker heavy inner tube
I did this and no flats for 2 years flat, I do not even carry spare tubes, the box with such heavy inner tube is like 4 times bigger than regular inner tube.
On electric you are not crazy about shaving every 100 gramms like on lycra road bicycles.

ok, i have used several tubes thus far
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=83604
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26727
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=61938
as well as bontrager self sealing tubes..
for tires i've used
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24624
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39389 (the one i'n using on the front wheel)

at first it was going rather well, with protkek max and schwable tubes combo, but i've hit something i dunno, some major thorn convention, and i discovered later i had flats in both tires, from the on even though i replaced both tires and tubes i had flats all the time, only now the rear wheel seems to be holding out ok. but i'm still suspicious.

And you "regularly" inflate to what pressure?

In perfect world tubes don't lose air but every tube I've ever used loses significant pressure in a matter of weeks. This isn't automotive grade stuff.

Plus, merely 10F change in air temp will exhibit 2psi tire pressure change. 50F swing can result in 10psi change which can often mean the difference between pinch flat or not. For example, air tire indoors around 70F and move outside into 20-30F range - see what I'm getting at?

Looks like you've used good quality tubes but they're surely never intended for heavyweight electric duty. That's where 26" mtn wheels provide much broader choices of tube/tires IMO.

Other than thorns, debris flat on front wheel is extremely rare, or should be. More likely pinch flat or improperly fitting spokes than anything else on front wheel.

Practice repair makes it easier to deal with and there's always plenty of scrap bike parts to practice on. Good luck!

As others have said, use a good rim liner and a good tire liner (I use the Stop Flats 2 liners), in addition to a puncture resistant tube.

There is a difference between puncture resistant and heavy-duty tubes. Puncture resistant has twice the protection of the heavy duty, but it's ONLY on the outer edge of the tube, whereas heavy duty is like double thickness all the way around. Personally, I've only had one issue with a hole in the sidewall, and that's because I didn't mount the tire & tube properly, so there was a kink which caused a bubble that rubbed on the brakes.

There has only been TWO times that I've gotten flats in several thousand miles, and one I have reason to believe my bike was actually tampered with from leaving it outside. I also had a link on my chain come off that very same day. That was my one and only puncture, which I really don't believe came from the road.

Also, I wore my rear tires down until they were bald, then finally a hole started showing to where I could see the tire liner. Not sure when I noticed it, but I kept riding for a few hundred more miles, at least, until a hole was worn thru the liner itself... and then I got a flat. That was more an experiment to see how long I could go, but I wasn't actually keeping track. It was a LONG time, tho. There's a hole in the liner, but I'm still able to reuse it....no problem.

what's a rim and tire liner ? i've only heard of rim tape.

Every day is a thorn convention here in Utah.

schwalbes_rule.jpg

I am constantly pulling this crap out of my tires after every ride, especially in the fall... but i am not getting flats. And i don't use thick tubes.

The tires you've used are not particularly flat resistant, despite what chain reaction cycles has to say.
Many manufacturers and sellers exaggerate the flat resistance of most of their tires. There are only about a dozen tire makes out there which are the real deal. Everything else is a thin strip of rubber with knobs on it. If you put something like that on your car or motorcycle, you'd be on the side of the road fixing flats every day too :lol:

I have thrown away $300 of tires in the last 3 years due to this, until i wised up and stop listening to the advice of salesfolks. What amazes me is that they'd rather sell you slime, special tubes, and other gimmicks, but a tire with a thick tread? no way...

Look at schwalbe's web site. They do not list the puncture proof rating of your land cruiser tires - likely because they are not particularly puncture proof.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/land_cruiser

Here is a good alternative to your semi-knobby tire. It actually comes with a puncture proof later rather than a kevlar mesh or whatever.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/off-road_tires/smart_sam_plus

Notice that it has 3mm of extra material. So there is going to be about 4-5mm total at the absolute weakest point of a tire like that and your tube.

Pair that with a thick tube and a rather long goathead sticker / thorn won't even phase your setup.

ok, but before i do that, i'm thinking about a possible additional problem, one of the tires i purchased which was http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28138 didn't fit my frame when fully inflated, even though it was the same spec as the other tires i got, i don't know why but if other tires are so thick then perhaps they won't fit either.

i usually don't go by description, but by user reviews and ratings, unless i don't have a choice.

Strange, i have a pair of those ( which are getting donated to the local bike store ) on my pedal bike as they were basically no more flatproof than a cheapo walmart tire. I had no such problem that you're speaking about. If tires are popping off your rim, then i would blame your rim.

If anyone wants these pieces of crap, you pay the shipping and they're yours.... :lol:

A wide rim can help a really wide tire seat a lot better. Otherwise it is like riding on a baloon. Maybe that's part of your prob?

I've had 5 different types of tires on my MAC bike and never experienced that - including two different types of schwalbe flatproof tires.

I am understanding that you are using the 700 tube - I don't know if they have heavy duty tube for 700, However with my experience on my Tidalforce, Cargo bike and Farfie Genesis race bike with cromotor. ALL running on Hookworms 2.5x26 and CST Cyclops 2.4x26 equiped with Mr Tuffy tire liners and very thick heavy duty tube 26" (Made by Giant). I never had flat tires in commuter to work and included vacation at Yosemite and other places.

I abused my tires real hard and never happen to my tires. :lol:

*knock the wood*

Back