49 xml-u emitter water cooled bike light

Lemlux

100 W
Thought you guys might be interested in one guy's project which he claims to be able to run continuously at 350 watts. Next time Luke travels to Germany he might want to collaborate on an over-the-top night rider with this guy.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?344877-49-XM-L-U2-40-000lm-watercooled-bike-lamp

That thing might consume more power that some ebike motors themselves. Why would anyone want a light that bright? I am sure it'd be illegal to use almost everywhere. There is a point of diminishing returns when illuminating an area you are going to be riding a bicycle in. I think sticking with something around 10w is likely plenty.

No argument with your comments, BowlofSalad.

I'm just easily amused when I encounter guys with the apparent mantra: "anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!"

edit: No offense intended toward LFP - just the opposite. I'm truly impressed by Luke's projects which focus on testing and extending technical boundaries - exactly what one would hope to see from a design engineer trying to further ev performance.

bowlofsalad said:
Why would anyone want a light that bright?
Off road, night mountain riding requires a lot of light power if you're gonna ride nearly as fast as in daylight.
I prefer to avoid night riding in the mountain trails though, because in the eventuality of a bad crash no one is likely to pass by before the morning.

Back