10 kW
Before:

FILE0211.jpg

After:

FILE0179.jpg

FILE0180.jpg

FILE0181.jpg

FILE0182.jpg

I have a ping 48v 15 Ah pack and Clyte 407 700c rear wheel hub motor, w/ the 20A immediate start controller and a direct plug Cycle Analyst.

I still plan to add a torque arm to each side, I have some thin 1" wide steel that I plan to cut down, I could use some pointers though.
I also am looking into a rear view mirror that would go well with the bike. Other than that I think its pretty ideal. I was shooting for a steathly commuter, that would take me around 20-30 mph for 40-50 miles, and so far it seems like it will do that. I still need to test the battery some more but I got 38km with 8Ah seems to be getting 3 miles per Ah, although I haven't figured out how to setup the CA yet and its still on the default 26" wheel and mine is a 700c, I don't know if that would improve my numbers or not.

I calibrated my Cycle Analyst today, seems like I get 2 miles per Ah at full throttle(into the wind, and it was gusty) and about 4 miles per Ah at 20-22 mile per hour. So I have a 30-60 mile range with my 15 Ah pack. I am pretty pleased with my bike, and I feel much safer commuting downtown now that I can keep up with the cars.
http://www.vimeo.com/1261573

what is the locked black box on the back, sort of under the rack??? Iam guessing that its a locked controller box????

bob in phx.

p.s. very very nice work...

That's the reverse keyswitch on the Crystalyte controller.

Thanks for the kind words Bob :D
I got a little over 37 miles in today with 14Ah, about half full speed (28-30) and half 20-23. Had to keep the amps down for the last mile or two or the power would switch off. I figure its because I have only charged it twice, I expect to get the full capacity after a few more cycles.

well done, nomad

has the beast seen pavement yet?

here's a link for some prefabbed torque arms, post started by jeff d:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4660&hilit=+torque+arms

there are two size holes for 5 and 4 series motors. if you choose to go this route, make sure you select the appropriate arms...

peace,

len

Lenk42602 said:
well done, nomad

has the beast seen pavement yet?
Thanks Lenk, I have put about 110 miles on it in 3 days:)

here's a link for some prefabbed torque arms,
I already bought some 1/8th inch 1" wide steel to make my own, just need the right drill bit. Do I need to harden/temper the steel? how is it done?
Justin at ebikes.ca told me I dont really need a torque arm, but I would like to have one(or 2) just in case. My controller is 20A so its nothing crazy, but it works really well for my purposes. It's fun shooting up a hill at 26mph...

Not much room left on the bars for a mirror on that really nice looking bike of yours. I like this oneMIRRORon_moustachebest.jpg

Available here http://www.rivbike.com/search/run?query=mirror&commit=Search#product=20-177 for $22. They say it can be mounted on the fork if you like.

Sturdly said:
Not much room left on the bars for a mirror on that really nice looking bike of yours.

Yeah your right, I ended up going one you mount the in end of the handle bar. I ordered all my bike/motor stuff with my amazon card and I got a 25$ gift card free, so I got this one http://www.amazon.com/Mirrycle-Mirror-Round-Black-109519/dp/B0009R96YK/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1215058278&sr=8-1
31n0Z5O61oL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I also got an air horn, which I will have to paint black, orange doesn't really do it for me... and a nice rear light with built in side lighting as well. only cost me 27 dollars with the gift card :D

I have gone 129 miles in 4 days, using 46 Ah, so I get about 2.8-3 miles per Ah, and I usually go full speed(probably 65%/35% fast/moderately fast) I hit 33 mph today, it was nice to have a tailwind finally.

nomad85 said:
I already bought some 1/8th inch 1" wide steel to make my own, just need the right drill bit.

Hi,

You can't do it with just a drill bit. It's not a round hole.

MitchJi said:
nomad85 said:
I already bought some 1/8th inch 1" wide steel to make my own, just need the right drill bit.

Hi,

You can't do it with just a drill bit. It's not a round hole.

I'm planning on drilling 2 holes that will create the right shape

That looks completely awesome. It doesn't look like it has a motor or batteries or anything.

How is the weight balance on the rear?

nomad85 wrote:

If you haven't drilled those out yet, I found a great way to make a perfect fit. At the local hardware store I found a coarse round tapered file, about 8 inches long and just over 3/8 inch at the largest point. Then I just drill a 3/8" hole where I want the slot, and with a little filing work the 3/8" hole can be transformed into a perfect slot for the axle.

JinbaIttai said:
That looks completely awesome. It doesn't look like it has a motor or batteries or anything.

How is the weight balance on the rear?

The balance is pretty good, its was awkward to stop sometimes, but I am used to it now, when riding it is very stable, which surprised me as I had heard all the weight in the rear would be unbalanced, in practice its not a problem. The only problem I have had(other than over tightening a nut...) is the support for my rear rack snapped, and caused the rack to pivot on the lower screws(one of which fell off today). Had I been riding it would have been really bad, but I was only pushing it off a curb... Now I have it reinforced with cable ties until I can replace it, seems to work better this way... No problems with the electronics and its been 286 e-miles since June 29th:)
As far as stealth goes, I get some funny looks going 26mph up hills, but no one seems to notice the electronics, which was very important to me. Only one person I've seen on the road knows I have a motor, and I had to tell him, he just thought I timed the light I blew by him at perfectly :lol: All the guys at work think its pretty cool, and a couple are considering making their own.

Rassy said:
nomad85 wrote:

If you haven't drilled those out yet, I found a great way to make a perfect fit. At the local hardware store I found a coarse round tapered file, about 8 inches long and just over 3/8 inch at the largest point. Then I just drill a 3/8" hole where I want the slot, and with a little filing work the 3/8" hole can be transformed into a perfect slot for the axle.
Thanks for the advice, I actually wussed out and bought some ready made torque arms like the ones from evtech.com

Quick update:
I have put 286 miles on my ebike in about 2 weeks and its going really well(other than my stupidity and my rear rack failing) my issues so far have been dealt with and I don't expect anymore problems. I've saved about 55$ in gas so far(I used to drive a premium gas guzzling passat) and I now have my rain gear; Marmot precip shell and pants from http://www.e-omc.com so I am ready for just about anything.
I seem to get between 12wh/m and 21wh/m(fast and faster).

346 miles so far and loving it:)

Today I did a 23 mile ride at about 15-16mph average on flats, 14.1mph overall. I didn't use my motor at all:) I had my battery loaded up and all my gear, I wanted to test how well I could ride it if I ran out of juice, and its better down hills and at speed on flats, but harder to get up to speed and up hills, still I lead my group of roadies almost the whole way with my 30 pounds of dead weight... I am pleased:)

Finally got to test my rain gear today. It was pouring and lots of thunder. The Marmot Precip Jacket and pants were awesome, I was going 28 mph for about 7 miles and stayed almost completely dry. The only issue was the pockets in the pants, the zipper let a little water wick in, a bit of tape or water proofing spray will fix that and then I have the perfect rain solution. Now to figure out winter... Anyway I highly recomend the Marmot Precip rain gear. I only paid 130 bucks for the pants and jacket at http://www.e-omc.com. So far I havent had any motor or controller problems in the rain(knock on wood).

Back