Better deal than electric bike?

mvly

10 kW
My brother just got this scooter from www.superscootersales.com and did a review on it.

Here is the youtube link to the his review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLriQNPStYg

After trying it myself, I think it might be a better deal compared to building one yourself.

It accelerates as fast as my 74V Lipo HS3545 motor ebike (no pedal assist of course) and reaches speeds up to 35mph. Eventually I pass him because I top out at 47mph. We might do a drag race video later on. : )
Just for reference, I was doing 4500W at startup and around 3700W after the startup at WOT just to match his acceleration. Yes... I know people on this forum have ebikes that can put out more power than that, but considering it's only $1600 out the box without any ebike building, I say it deserves a standing ovation!

Claims to be 1500W, but I have a feeling it reaches 2000W+ during acceleration.

I think this might be better solution for those who do not want to spend the time to put together a high power bike.

In Australia, you'd probably be pulled over by the first cop that saw you. These are illegal in Australia, no ifs or buts.

I've built 40mph bikes and felt a little jittery on them, but generally safe. Going that fast on something with what, 6 inch wheels? fine enough if you lack a self preservation instinct, or have a death wish :shock:

I rode GoPed for long time until potholes swallowed small wheels. Then I tried kickbikes with up to 26" wheels but they have other inherent issues even if the wheels don't get swallowed. Mainly, lack of ground clearance for bumps and dips in the road.

The simplicity of a stand up eride is awesome but unfortnately it's not all sunshine and unicorns.

There's a standup scooter section on ES btw....

But the discussion seems to be comparing it to a bike, so I won't move this thread. As long as the cops ignore you, this looks like a much better offering than the typical 500w stand up scooters of the past.

More power, always good with the ES crowd. 1500w will get you up hills nice, if it's geared right. This one is, and as we well know a typical 26' hubmotor is not.

Suspension helps, even cheap pogo stick shocks clearly help if you have a 2x4 in the road you can't avoid.

Disc brakes plus regen braking, what's not to love there?

Clearly it handles ok, as seen in the vid. Likely it corners better than typical bikes, due to the wide tires. Small might suck in the pothole, but wide rocks in the corners.

It also clearly lacks the problem the only stand up electric scooter I ever rode had. The one I test rode once went into high speed wobble at about 12 mph.

But if the cops don't ignore you, there's one problem. And of course, you can't possibly pedal home if you run the battery down. Not that you will enjoy that on a bike. Sucks like hell either way to run out. The battery must be ok, 22 miles at 30 mph aint bad at all!!! Should be able to get home on that much range.

Sunder said:
In Australia, you'd probably be pulled over by the first cop that saw you. These are illegal in Australia, no ifs or buts.
Same in the UK. It goes in the crusher. You are also on an unregistered bike that has paid no road tax, carries no Ministry Of Transport test certificate and you are not insured.

Those stand up scooters are fun but can't compare with a bike.
If it can, your bike is sh*t, sorry to say.

neptronix said:
I've built 40mph bikes and felt a little jittery on them, but generally safe. Going that fast on something with what, 6 inch wheels? fine enough if you lack a self preservation instinct, or have a death wish :shock:

Actually it is pretty stable even at high speed. I mean don't stand vertical at 35mph and ride. You definitely need the seat and hold on to thw handle bar when you pull the throttle WOT.

Like I said before, it is pretty sick power due to the gearing and pretty low in terms of price. I have put over $5K on my ebike just to get it to similar acceleration level, albeit faster top speed.

I wonder if the guy selling is willing to sell the motor and controller seperately. It might make for a killer mid-drive setup.

Ya that thing is going to get you pulled over easily. You can't have any fun riding it of you think a cop might give you a ticket. No thanks!

Jason27 said:
Ya that thing is going to get you pulled over easily. You can't have any fun riding it of you think a cop might give you a ticket. No thanks!

Odd to me, you're in CA which is one of the most standup scooter friendly DMV regs in USA.

Must be over 16, wear helmet and have a drivers license:

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/scooters.htm

Jason27 said:

I don't know if it's the cops here, but I have been seen riding this thing pass cops and sometime pretty fast too(35mph), albeit I was going way under the speed limit (45mph road), and they do nothing about it. I think just as long as you obey the rules. This goes similar for my ebike.

Maybe it's where you live, but the cops here are generally more lacks when it comes to the scooter.

Yeah I think ebikers may be feeling the competition from this thing! May be getting a bit uppity about the problems with the law with this thing. If any other stand up scooters can get by, this one can too with some slow riding. Maybe remove the stickers and wear a bicycle helmet + lights, the lights show them your not hiding from anyone and want to be seen. If it was belt drive or could be made silent in some other way that would help a lot too!

How much is this thing? I'd love to see some GoPro3 footage shot at 270fps of this thing going over square fixed objects, like a up a small curb.

This is fairly impressive. 48v 20ah lifepo4. 100a peak current is why it is faster.

This is the best urban transit. Much easier to store and transport than an ebike.

I don't like the small front wheel though. The only thing it needs is a 16 or 20" front wheel.

I don't care for the stand up scooter appearance, but it's by far the best performance I've seen.

I may be wrong, but I think in CA you'd have to get a moped plate for it to exceed 20 mph. So seen doing 30 mph without that plate might be plenty for California cops.

So tell em it goes 30 mph at DMV, and get that tag. Then ride off all happy.

Where I live, it would be completely illegal. We have the stupid pedals required thing here. But I bet most cops here would also completely ignore you as well. :mrgreen: Just like they ignore people turning left through the red light. They'll notice you when you start bleeding in this town.

dogman said:
They'll notice you when you start bleeding in this town.
What does that mean?

Heres an idea for this scooter... There is no point having a bicycle-style saddle as there is no peddling. why not go with a seat shaped more like a scooter seat. Like the original a2b metro seat. Its just more square, and 'Looks' more comfy to the average person. Not sure where to find a seat like that...?

I have a 36V 1000W model over-volted to 55.5V (lipo) running a 50A controller. These scooters more reliable, easier to mod, lighter and cheaper than e-bikes. My ebike gets to 35+ on the same 15S pack. The scooter hits 33-35. Pretty stable at speed. I run 11" off road tires dual disks, dual suspension, aluminum deck, Easton bar and stem. Comes in at 58 lbs. without pack. Lots of room for controller and batteries. Does great on hills as well. Down side is no pedals. The great thing is, after you are done, you folded it up and throw it in the trunk or back seat. :D Just another toy to add to the electric hobby.
IMG01656 (Medium).jpg
View attachment 3
DSCN1121 (Medium).JPG
DSCN1123 (Medium).JPG
DSCN1124 (Medium).JPG

neptronix said:

Let me introduce myself: My name in Minhvu and I am the subject in the video of discussion. These wheels are a legit foot in diameter. I personally measured them myself. And I don't want them to be any larger because it probably wouldn't qualify as "compact electric scooter" and subject to complications such as DMV registration, insurance, etc.

neptronix said:

Let me introduce myself: My name is Minhvu and I am the subject in the video of discussion. These wheels are a legit foot in diameter. I personally measured them myself. And I don't want them to be any larger because it probably wouldn't qualify as "compact electric scooter" and subject to complications such as DMV registration, insurance, etc. Honestly, I have never felt unsafe riding on these relatively small wheels. I also have the 1000W Lithium scooter running on 10" wheels and I have logged over 6000 miles without incident sometimes riding at night in very low light conditions.

wheel.jpg

Re a few posts back. Cops here ignore you till you are getting loaded into an ambulance after your accident. That's what I meant by "ignore you unless you are bleeding".

Part of this is how the local police operate. In a town of 100,000 plus a lot more that live outside city limits, the police have exactly 4 officers assigned to traffic duty per shift. Two fender benders, and there are exactly zero cops in this town enforcing traffic laws. So ride during rush hour, and you are safe from traffic police. 8)

The rest of the cops are quite busy with other problems, and ignore any traffic violations that don't have blood flowing. Even minor accidents, they just drive on. For example the drunk guy last week waving a bb gun that looked exactly like a real assault rifle. They are too busy heading to the next call like that.

As a result, you can drive around this town on illegal vehicles for years and get by, so long as you don't bleed.

Awesome review!

Thank you!

Tommy L sends....
mosh.gif

Back