Sensored/Sensorless Infineons auto hall mapping

el_walto

10 kW
Anyone tried one of the new ebikes.ca controllers? The auto hall mapping sounds like a nice feature.

"Our stock of 20, 25, and 40A Infineon Controllers has now been updated to run in both sensored AND sensorless configurations. So if the hall cable is not connected, they will automatically engage in a self starting sensorless mode, and if the halls are later plugged in the controller will automatically map the hall table and run sensored so that you don't have to play around with hall/phase pinout combinations.

As well, we now have them made with two levels of regen intensity to accommodate those who want maximum stopping power, as well as those who want regen current but want to keep it low to prevent damage to the battery or tripping a BMS circuit. There is an extra wire loop that can be snipped to double the electrical braking force if desired. "

Sounds amazing... will have to check this out. I guess it's only a matter of time before we get some "clones" :?

EDIT: Got a link? I can't find that part on their site

cal3thousand said:
Sounds amazing... will have to check this out. I guess it's only a matter of time before we get some "clones" :?

EDIT: Got a link? I can't find that part on their site

The link is here: http://ebikes.ca/store/store_controllers.php
They are the same price as the original ones. Win :mrgreen:

I can't find that blurb about the auto hall configuration on that page though :?

cal3thousand said:
I can't find that blurb about the auto hall configuration on that page though :?
It says they swapped all their controllers with them. I would shoot them an email to be positive.

I have not seen inside one of these controllers but I have worked with some Xie Chang controllers of the EB306-C and EB312-C that have this feature and it works pretty nice. Only downside on the Xie Chang is without the hall sensors connected you don't get a speed display on the Cycle Analyst. Does ebikes.ca specify if the controller outputs a speed signal in sensor less mode?

I am curious to see what board they are utilizing.

cal3thousand said:

It's on their home page,if you scroll down abit it's mentioned in the New Items section just under the Rolling Jackass Stand.

http://ebikes.ca/index.shtml

Eric

Eric G said:
cal3thousand said:

It's on their home page,if you scroll down abit it's mentioned in the New Items section just under the Rolling Jackass Stand.

http://ebikes.ca/index.shtml

Eric

Thank you for sharing it.

I have an Edgerunner frame coming to me in the September container and now there's ALL these goodies I need :mrgreen:

Does anyone know if there is a light that goes on or something when a hall fails and the controller switches to Sensorless mode?
Other then the ye olde' stand your bike at the base of the hill and see if your motor will advance?

I don't see anything on their site that discusses that, but since the old sensored controllers had a light that blinks to indicate "ready", perhaps the new ones have a blink code to indicate which mode they're in (sensored or sensorless). I think you'll have to ask Grin Tech directly, though.

FWIW, you could *build* a small device to tell you if your halls are working. It'd need a timer and/or a counter or resettable flipflop (perhaps just some 555s for both functions) for each hall, and a logic gate (or diodes) to merge the signals to an LED. The timer would be reset by each time a hall toggles, so if a hall stops toggling and is stuck on or off, the timer would run out and turn the LED on or off, depending on how you set it up. You'd set the timer for whatever length of time it takes a toggle to occur at the slowest speed you'd want to test the motor at.

As long as the motor is spinning and the halls are toggling, the LED would stay in the state you set up for "working".

I purchased a 20 inch rear wheel HS3548 C-lyte kit from Grin at the end of June of this year,the Infineon 25 amp controller that came with this kit is the sensored/sensorless type.This controller also has 6x AOT290L mosfets,If I remember correctly Adam said that these were better than the 6x IRFB4110 mosfets.

Eric

Eric G said:
I purchased a 20 inch rear wheel HS3548 C-lyte kit from Grin at the end of June of this year,the Infineon 25 amp controller that came with this kit is the sensored/sensorless type.This controller also has 6x AOT290L mosfets,If I remember correctly Adam said that these were better than the 6x IRFB4110 mosfets.

Eric

Nice!

I see those AOT290L mosfets have rdson of 3.5 mOhms vs the 4.5 mOhms of the IRFB4110.

cal3thousand said:
Eric G said:

Eric

Nice!

I see those AOT290L mosfets have rdson of 3.5 mOhms vs the 4.5 mOhms of the IRFB4110.

Seems like a nice fet at first glance of the spec sheet. Even better than the low rdson it only has 126 BC Qg be the 4110s 210nC Qg. What does all that mean? It means the aot290l should switch on faster than the irf part which means less wasted power and heat. I need to look into these and other parts to see how they stack up against the parts I am use to working with.

I got my new 40amp controller today.

I am amazed how small they are . and the tidyness of heatshrink over all the wire groups is a nice touch.
Also the sticker is good with lots of info about the connectors and shunt resistance.
Thick rubber grommets for weather proof to.
Im very happy with this product, so far, I haven't connected it yet though. I got it cos a have a dodgee hall wire and CBF replacing all hall wires.

Sensorless usage impressions

-painless to install

-incremental speed is noticeable at low rpm . a bit twitchy.

- relatively smooth with high power no pedal launch(considering no halls)

-smaller size is very nice (still 40amps)

-plastic sleeves on wire groups is tidy.

-two level ebrake is good

-water resistant grommets look very water tight.

-flashing led to remind "ON"

I'm quite happy with this new controller and may mount it in the triangle instead of under due to its smaller size from the previous controller.

Back