Would you guys pay for a CA-like App for iOS/Android?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
nukezero   10 kW

10 kW

Would you guys pay for a CA-like App for iOS/Android?

Post by nukezero » Jul 17 2013 7:28pm

I'm just curious, how many of you would prefer to mount your personal cell phones on your handle bar, and run an app whether it's IOS/Android that does everything the Cycle Analyst does, and more and in a awesome looking graphical user interface with rich colors and high resolution?

Just exactly how much would you pay for it? It would be convenient in a way since the controller could perhaps pair with the phone via bluetooth and transfer this data.

I'm wondering why the eBike market hasn't gotten to that tech yet. Maybe the market isn't big enough but everybody nowadays has a smartphone.

mvly   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Would you guys pay for a CA-like App for iOS/Android?

Post by mvly » Jul 17 2013 8:32pm

For this to happen the following must be there in the device/product.

1) I would like a proper mount for my phone. And I am sure others would want the same. Given the vast number of phone out there, good luck in building something universal. But if you do, let me know because I would be interested.

2) I would need a way to charge my phone while riding. Wireless comm to the reading device is cool, but if my phone is out of juice, it would mean moot! Hence I would like something to convert to retractable microUSB port to provide juice to my phone on long rides. For iPhone user, I would think there would be a converter.

3) the app has to be free or almost free. The complexity should be in the hardware interfacing to the ebike. Hence if I buy the hardware, I would feel cheated if I also have to pay for the app which only works with the provided hardware.

4) This is a big one. It should have the option to display Google maps at the sametime the CA stuff. This might be hard to do until Google provide some way of doing it. Since I am an engineer, I know of one way, but it would nasty and overly complicated. But it is the best you can do given maps on android cannot be easily modified.

5) the source code should be GPL V2 so other people can hack away. After all, this is a community base ebike forum.

mattrb   100 W

100 W

Post by mattrb » Jul 17 2013 9:22pm

I asked speedict if they would add ca support with a Bluetooth adapter but they never even bothered to respond. I even offered that I would and many others would pay $20 in Google play store for such support.

I'd think they would overlooking a great opportunity.
52v Crystalyte 4060 Phasor and 4000w Cyclone Elite

chas58   10 kW

10 kW

Post by chas58 » Jul 18 2013 12:10pm

Yeah, I think that would be useful, if for nothing else than to see how much juice I have left (how much watt/hours I have used). You would need some hardware to make it blue tooth compatible, but it is an interesting idea!
25^3 bike: 25 lbs, 25 mph, 25 mile range.
Road and Mountain Bike Cute Q100 builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=49691

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Jul 18 2013 2:33pm

mattrb wrote:I asked speedict if they would add ca support with a Bluetooth adapter but they never even bothered to respond. I even offered that I would and many others would pay $20 in Google play store for such support.

I'd think they would overlooking a great opportunity.

I would assume because the Speedict solution is supposed to do the same thing. Why would a person buy a CA and a Speedict?
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

mattrb   100 W

100 W

Post by mattrb » Jul 18 2013 3:56pm

They wouldn't. The free android app would have an in-app add-on for support if they actually cared about easy new sources of revenue.
52v Crystalyte 4060 Phasor and 4000w Cyclone Elite

7tronics   10 mW

10 mW

Post by 7tronics » Jul 31 2013 11:58pm

Is there any effort afoot to define a common Application Programming Interface (API) across some of the more popular motor controllers out there with external interfaces?

In addition to the CA app I see an app from Zero Motorcycles and Organic Transit providing virtual dashboards for their electric powered vehicles. (I know, odd to put Zero and OT in the same sentence...)

What other ebike industry players have external interfaces for their motor controllers and charge controllers?
Mark Smith, @W4CHL W4CHL Wiki
Light Electric Vehicle Assn
eBikes: 2001 Currie eFolder, 2001 Currie Mtn, 2005 Giant LaFree Lite, 2008 & 2010 Currie Trailz, 2010 iZip Via Rapido, 2011 Powabyke Shopper, 2008 Optibike R400, 2010 Marin Bikes BionX MTB
Other LEVs: 2007 Currie Tech eZip 500 eScooter, 2013 OT ELF (4Q2013), 2017 Osdrich A10 Hoverboard

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Aug 01 2013 12:13pm

The Android/iOS + their phone hardware can't do it alone; you need additional hardware to uptake the controller-provided signals and deliver them to a software interface that the platform can understand and display.

Speedict is closer to having that type of solution already; they just need another tweak or two to make a go of it. Although they may run into headroom issues; I'm not that type of dev so I really can't say for sure.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Aug 01 2013 12:42pm

I like the idea, but...

I get a call in the middle of a ride. I pick up the phone out of it's cradle and start talking, and lose my bike's computer. all the Amp limits, speed limits, and torque throttle input are gone, and I have no way to record any data while I'm holding the phone.

Either the phone carrier, or some app decides to load some data in the background, and the phone's processor is running slow for the moment. Suddenly, a big truck appears and I need full throttle NOW!, but the phone is busy and takes a moment to respond.

It rains.

I think I would be more interested in an app that worked with a CA or other device, rather than making my bike dependent on my phone.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

Secret1511   100 W

100 W

Post by Secret1511 » Aug 01 2013 12:52pm

For Iphone??? Yesssssssss!!!! I'd pay max 5 euro.
For the interface 80 euro max
Banshee Chaparral
GNG 1.1
Lyen 12 fet mod 50a
LightningRods UpperSheets
18s2p lipo
Chain mod. 11t <> 65t

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Aug 01 2013 1:36pm

Drunkskunk wrote:I like the idea, but...

I get a call in the middle of a ride. I pick up the phone out of it's cradle and start talking, and lose my bike's computer. all the Amp limits, speed limits, and torque throttle input are gone, and I have no way to record any data while I'm holding the phone.

Either the phone carrier, or some app decides to load some data in the background, and the phone's processor is running slow for the moment. Suddenly, a big truck appears and I need full throttle NOW!, but the phone is busy and takes a moment to respond.

It rains.

I think I would be more interested in an app that worked with a CA or other device, rather than making my bike dependent on my phone.
Good points and well described. It reinforces the idea that dedicated autonomous hardware should be maintaining state, whilst the phone interface just provides the visuals. Also, I'd have an ear bud so I don't have to disconnect the phone from the cradle. KISS.

~KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

Secret1511   100 W

100 W

Post by Secret1511 » Aug 01 2013 1:41pm

It should be like the audi ebike.
Check it out on youtube
Banshee Chaparral
GNG 1.1
Lyen 12 fet mod 50a
LightningRods UpperSheets
18s2p lipo
Chain mod. 11t <> 65t

Bike_on   100 W

100 W

Post by Bike_on » Aug 01 2013 4:48pm

You can get the app and mount for $500 from ibike.

http://store.ibikesports.com/power-mete ... ower-meter

pendragon8000   1 MW

1 MW

Post by pendragon8000 » Aug 01 2013 8:29pm

nukezero wrote:I'm just curious, how many of you would prefer to mount your personal cell phones on your handle bar, and run an app whether it's IOS/Android that does everything the Cycle Analyst does, and more and in a awesome looking graphical user interface with rich colors and high resolution?

Just exactly how much would you pay for it? It would be convenient in a way since the controller could perhaps pair with the phone via bluetooth and transfer this data.

I'm wondering why the eBike market hasn't gotten to that tech yet. Maybe the market isn't big enough but everybody nowadays has a smartphone.
IMO, using the phone / tablet as a user interface via Bluetooth with a free app would be good. Although a Cycle analyst type screen would be very cheap, the end user could benifit by saving on production cost and have larger and better display.
To eliminate the phone turning off - bike not working issue , a arduino or other pic could be used as the phone to controller interface. It could be a mostly 1 way communication, only sending to the pic / arduino when setting up or changing modes. Using the phones giro for extra coolness is another possibility eg Audi ebike. Considering a arduino and blue tooth module is about $20 I think $100 to $50 would be fair depending on how far the software was developed.
8)HYENA high power ebike kits
My builds
scott 29er + Hyena kit, mon-goose to MON-STER 6KW, Free Agent RC Mid Drive, videos

my bike goes so fast 'cos it charges the battery while I pedal