Charging Station Idea

Did you see this thread, Nuts?
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4536&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=relay+charging
If you have lockers, I see two dangers:
1. Charging Lead Acid gives off hydrogen - explosion risk
2. Good place to park bombs :roll:
Not that I want to squash you idea :D

"Lockers" can be done with expanded metal mesh, or any other perforated metal for the doors. Enough ventilation eliminates the explosion hazard.

As for bombs, they can just as easily be placed in a trash receptacle as in a locker; you only need an hour or so of delay to be useful. I doubt every trash can in the city is emptied on an hourly basis. Heck, if you let vehicles park anywhere you have a perfect place to put a very large explosive charge.

the science park i work at is always trying to be green, they have a good car share scheme. i sent them this letter about putting in e-bike charging points.

Hi

I have just started work at the science centre. I notice you have a car sharing program which is very good and easy to use. Well-done!

I have a suggestion that could make the site even greener and more pleasant for people to commute to. -An electric bicycle recharging point.

I cycle to and from oxford on an electric bicycle every day and I know of several other cyclists who are doing or thinking about doing the same. Since the centre promotes cycling and is in a remote location I think it would be good to offer facilities for electric bicycles. At the moment recharging at work is difficult. An electric bike charging point wouldn’t take many resources to implement and could offer a good publicity opportunity. All we really need is a socket near a bike shed. Multiple outdoor sockets under a fully covered bike shed would be even better. This would really help those that have to cycle long distances and yet still be in a condition to work at the end of it.

i got this back

I am now in a position to be able to respond to your enquiry below regarding electric bicycle recharging points on site.

the site have recently financed a scheme to upgrade cycle and motor cycle sheds and supply smoking shelters around the site. At the time of the setting up of the scheme, other 'nice to have' factors are also looked at to see if these can be incorporated where possible and practical at the
same time. With regard to recharging points for bikes, this threw up
rather a lot of issues not only from where to take the supply from but how to meter it fairly and indeed how to police it to ensure that people dont misuse the points for other things. This together with the actual demand, made it uneconomical to do at this moment in time.

With the current trend of change in the way people get to and from work, we will keep revisiting these suggestions and wherever possible will try and work them into our future plans.

i responded with this

Thanks for considering my request.

I suggest that to prevent abuse of a charging point system you could issues keys to a locked switch power outlet. And you could put an energy meter on the other side of the wall outlet. You could even charge users for the power used and make a profit on top because the amount of power used is so small (1-5p/charge). You could decide a flat rate charge or charge for the amount of energy used. It wouldn't need to be policed just a simple check once every 6 months to see the meter reading.

This would be v. cheap to implement (less than £100). And facilities such as this would enable others to use electric bikes instead of cars.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=energy%20meter&source=15&SD=Y
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=key%20switch&source=15&SD=Y

Regards, Matthew

Well done, Monster! Keep up the good work! :D

Makes me glad I work where I do. My bosses laughed when I offered to pay them twenty five cents a week for the power. Another good reason to make the battery easy to carry inside.

oh don't get me wrong, i can charge at work, our company is all for it. i just have to throw an extension cord out the window of my office to my bike outside. electric is free to our company on this site. although the site don't know i charge at work! i just wanted to see if they would enhance these facilities tho for other riders.

oh don't get me wrong, i can charge at work, our company is all for it. i just have to throw an extension cord out the window of my office to my bike outside. electric is free to our company on this site. although the site don't know i charge at work! i just wanted to see if they would enhance these facilities tho for other riders.

I bring my battery inside - no need for extension cords. But I use a 7 pound battery, too.

Back