inflating tyres without air ?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
justlooking   1 kW

1 kW

inflating tyres without air ?

Post by justlooking » Aug 09 2013 1:00pm

my new bike trailer arrived yesterday, and was wondering if there is anything that i can use to inflate the tires , im hoping that there is something i can use so that they are solid tires and no are in them , the last thing i want to get is a puncher some time when it is loaded up with items,

bowlofsalad   1 MW

1 MW

Re: inflating tyres without air ?

Post by bowlofsalad » Aug 09 2013 5:16pm

Are they airless tires? Do you know anything about the tires themselves? Do you see a valve stem? Do you own a presta/shreder pump and or psi gauge?

Of course, any bicycle tire with an inner tube requires air. Have you tried e-mailing the people you purchased your trailer from for information about the tires or wheels? Perhaps there is information about the tires or wheels on some webpage of theirs, try giving that a read while waiting for a response. High resolution clear full pictures of the wheels and a careful inspection for a valve stem, or a rod the size of a finger stick from the rim pointing towards the center of the wheel, would probably tell you plenty. If there is a valve stem we can go from there.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Aug 09 2013 5:22pm

justlooking wrote:my new bike trailer arrived yesterday, and was wondering if there is anything that i can use to inflate the tires , im hoping that there is something i can use so that they are solid tires and no are in them , the last thing i want to get is a puncher some time when it is loaded up with items,
In the UK, see if you can get Greentyres. Be advised that while you won't get flats, there will be a performance penalty and both your cargo and wheels will get beat up worse than with pneumatics. If it were that easy, we'd all be using foam tires.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

justlooking   1 kW

1 kW

Post by justlooking » Aug 09 2013 5:42pm

bowlofsalad wrote:Are they airless tires? Do you know anything about the tires themselves? Do you see a valve stem? Do you own a presta/shreder pump and or psi gauge?

Of course, any bicycle tire with an inner tube requires air. Have you tried e-mailing the people you purchased your trailer from for information about the tires or wheels? Perhaps there is information about the tires or wheels on some webpage of theirs, try giving that a read while waiting for a response. High resolution clear full pictures of the wheels and a careful inspection for a valve stem, or a rod the size of a finger stick from the rim pointing towards the center of the wheel, would probably tell you plenty. If there is a valve stem we can go from there.

the wheels are normal tyres with innertubes m8, i was just thinking along the lines of doing something to stop any chance of a puncher, there will be quite a few items on it at times, and if i get a puncher it will be a right pain in the neck

justlooking   1 kW

1 kW

Post by justlooking » Aug 09 2013 5:44pm

Chalo wrote:
justlooking wrote:my new bike trailer arrived yesterday, and was wondering if there is anything that i can use to inflate the tires , im hoping that there is something i can use so that they are solid tires and no are in them , the last thing i want to get is a puncher some time when it is loaded up with items,
In the UK, see if you can get Greentyres. Be advised that while you won't get flats, there will be a performance penalty and both your cargo and wheels will get beat up worse than with pneumatics. If it were that easy, we'd all be using foam tires.
thanks i will look into these,

knighty   10 kW

10 kW

Post by knighty » Aug 09 2013 5:50pm

get some more tyres the same size, cut off the inside edge (the bit you have to stretch over the wheel rim to get the tyre on/off)

fit that inside your tyre, then put the inner tube inside that

I went from 1 flat a week to zero flats in the siz months since I did it :-)

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Aug 09 2013 6:26pm

knighty wrote:get some more tyres the same size, cut off the inside edge (the bit you have to stretch over the wheel rim to get the tyre on/off)

fit that inside your tyre, then put the inner tube inside that
Riders from the thorn-ridden wastelands of New Mexico and Arizona refer to this method as "The System".

I did it on a crazy three-wheeled people carrier with 20 x 1.75" slicks inside 20 x 2.25" slicks. The fit was perfect, and rolling resistance was not as bad as I thought it would be.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

bowlofsalad   1 MW

1 MW

Post by bowlofsalad » Aug 09 2013 6:29pm

There is a lot to say about flat protection. There are a lot of different kinds of tires and approaches.

Paying attention to the road, you can avoid things in the road if you are careful and diligent.

Keep your inner tubes filled to appropriate PSI/Bar.

Tires with flat protection built in, see the schwalbe marathon line.

Tire liners like mr tuffy and rhino liner.

Thorn proof inner tubes.

Tubeless with something like stans tire sealer. (see UST)

Stans sealer or slime in the inner tube.

Layering between the tire and inner tube, something like a tire without the bead or edge, or several inner tubes, or maybe a thorn proof tire cut in half with the stem ripped off.

Tire wipers, they knock things off your tire before they can get pounded in and puncture your innertube.

These are some of the ideas that comes to mind, you could try one or some combination of these. I cannot comment of the effectiveness of these ideas, there are infinite variables. There are pros and cons to all of this, rolling weight and ride comfort and complexity are ideas that come to mind, it might be hard to find a pleasant middle ground but maybe that is half the fun.

You might change the subject of this post to something that makes sense like, "How to avoid getting a flat." "inflating tyres without air ?" Sounds like you are asking someone to magically transmit air to the correct pressure to your inner tubes without touching your bike and maybe doing so in vacuum or something. However, flat protect isn't a new subject and far from one avoided being talked about, I bet doing some searches will yield you a tremendous amount of information.
Last edited by bowlofsalad on Aug 10 2013 10:52am, edited 1 time in total.

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Aug 10 2013 7:10am

The system works well for street riding. But you can still get flats from a really bad caltrop in the road.

A while back, I put a brand new set of tires on my cargo bike. 10 miles later, a 16 penny framing nail bent into a funny shape slashed hell out of it, trashing it.

Same route I got flats in my car too. Turns out, one dumb %*^&#@^& has a driveway there, where every day bent nails bounce off his flatbed construction trailer. Perfect caltrops for a half mile in that area all the time.

Not much you can do, if a place like that is on your route. I stop there regularly now, and pick up a half pound of nails and screws each time.

Ykick   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ykick » Aug 10 2013 7:28am

Is this a Bob or inline single wheel trailer or a double wheel trailer? If later, picking up road debris is very low probability. Same reason we see so many more debris punctures (nails, staples, etc.) in rear tires than fronts.

Example - Nail laying road, 1st tire (front) runs over it and no damage. However, it's then kicked up at an angle that will more often than not spear the rapidly approaching rear tire. If you run an inline trailer like a Bob or similar than the odds of debris puncture would go way up as opposed to a pair of wheels trailing in offset to the center of your bike.

Thorns are another matter and depending where you live, they can present their own set of challenges much different from metal road debris.

Thing to remember is that if airless tires were that great we'd all be using them. But we don't so.....
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

RLD70   100 W

100 W

Post by RLD70 » Aug 10 2013 8:17am

I know that Wally world sells airless tubes for bikes now made by Bell and Im thinking about trying a couple out but the thorn resistant tubes work as well plus theyre cheaper too. I know all about flats on the rear tires as Im usually having to either patch up the tube or buying yet another one. It goes without saying pay attention to the road that youre riding on.

justlooking   1 kW

1 kW

Post by justlooking » Aug 10 2013 8:22am

Ykick wrote:Is this a Bob or inline single wheel trailer or a double wheel trailer? If later, picking up road debris is very low probability. Same reason we see so many more debris punctures (nails, staples, etc.) in rear tires than fronts. ...
its a 2 wheel trailer,
i was just hoping that there is something that some one has tried in the past, since its a trailer ride comfort dont realy come into it, but yes i see the point that some one mentioned about everything in the trailer bouncing around more,

the main problem is that (apart from the amount of items at times ) i have C.O.P.D of the lungs, so bending over to strip the tires off to repair them is a hell of a job for me, this is why i made a e-bike with a gen-1 gng,
fixing a tire at home isnt much of a problem as i can do it whilst sitting down in a chair, but on the side of the road it will be a real struggle for me to do,

Ykick   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ykick » Aug 10 2013 8:34am

Seems like turning a trailer on its side to repair a flat would be easier than bending down and working on the ground? A can of fix-a-flat can be useful and learning to patch a tube without dismounting the wheel/tire is a valuable skill.

Flats are a crazy thing. I can ride for years without any trouble but in one week have 3 flats. Nature of the beast but I think you might be worrying too much about something that may never happen? My wager is the bike rear tire will get a flat long before the trailer tires, IMO....
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Aug 10 2013 9:58am

Those airless tires have more rolling resistnce, and can be a real drag. :mrgreen:
Nothing will stop every puncture, but there are things you can do to stop most of them, and even more things you can do to make the ones that happen a non issue.

My plan for a flat free life is Slime. Not the bicycle stuff, but ATV or 4x4 stuff, which has a thicker medium and larger granuals to plug big holes. I've been running this in several bikes for many years with no flats yet.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

justlooking   1 kW

1 kW

Post by justlooking » Aug 10 2013 10:07am

Drunkskunk wrote:Those airless tires have more rolling resistnce, and can be a real drag. :mrgreen:
Nothing will stop every puncture, but there are things you can do to stop most of them, and even more things you can do to make the ones that happen a non issue.

My plan for a flat free life is Slime. Not the bicycle stuff, but ATV or 4x4 stuff, which has a thicker medium and larger granuals to plug big holes. I've been running this in several bikes for many years with no flats yet.

just looked at this on the auction site ebay, looks inpressive and still allows the tires to have air in them ??

To use Quick Spair, simply remove the valve cap, attach the hose and press the green button. In just seconds, the puncture is sealed and the tire is inflated. Quick Spair is non-flammable and cleans out of the tire with water, making a professional repair possible.
but it says to repair or change the tires within 500 miles ?? have you found that this is a problem ?? or dont it matter ?? im thinking that the slime might break down after a bit ??

Repairs Punctures & Inflates in Seconds
New Emergency Formula
Non-flammable
Tire Sensor SafeSlime Promise: Safer for you and your tire.
Great for Slow Leaks
16oz For Standard Tyre Size
Maximum Speed 65mph after use Repair Or Replace Tyre within 500 miles

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Aug 10 2013 10:49am

You can ride a worn out tire with slime for an amazingly long time, as long as you are not after performance.
I stand no sh*t in a new tire though, for it must ride as good as a new tire should.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

Drunkskunk   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Aug 10 2013 10:57am

justlooking wrote: just looked at this on the auction site ebay, looks inpressive and still allows the tires to have air in them ??

To use Quick Spair, simply remove the valve cap, attach the hose and press the green button. In just seconds, the puncture is sealed and the tire is inflated. Quick Spair is non-flammable and cleans out of the tire with water, making a professional repair possible.
but it says to repair or change the tires within 500 miles ?? have you found that this is a problem ?? or dont it matter ?? im thinking that the slime might break down after a bit ??
What you found is their quickspare. Its a different product. running a liquid at highway speeds on a car can unbalance the wheel and cause it to go out of round. But an lower speeds its fine. notice they said keep it under 65, OR replace it in 500 miles.

But what I sugested is just the TireSlime. Its not a repair but a prevention. Its a bottle of liquid you put in your tube before you inflate it. The liquid patches any hole that occures from the inside. Its not replacing the air in the tube, it just stays in the tube with the air to glue holes shut from the inside.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Aug 10 2013 3:00pm

justlooking wrote:just looked at this [Slime] on the auction site ebay, looks inpressive and still allows the tires to have air in them ??
It's a non-drying sealant, basically a goopy mixture of glycol and lint-like particles. When you get a small hole in the tread side of the tube(where the Slime washes around), glycol carries fibers into the gap until it's stopped up tight. It does work.

As for drawbacks-- It adds weight and viscous drag to the wheel. Over a long period of time (like more than a year of regular riding) the fibers can clump into a big mat that no longer works as designed. Of course, the sealant works on the tube's air valve the same way it does on a large puncture, clogging it. Punctures much bigger than a nail hole won't hold, and they spew bright green Slime all over. The seepage of glycol around punctures makes them difficult to patch permanently because the tube surface must be intensively cleaned.

If you have to contend with lots of thorns, small glass chips, tire belt wires, or other hazards that cause small punctures, sealants can be well worth the trouble. For most riding conditions, I reckon you'll spend at least as much time and effort dealing with the complications of Slime as you would dealing with punctures. But often it allows you to choose a more convenient time and place to deal with your problem.

Kingfish   10 GW

10 GW
Location: Redmond, WA-USA, Earth, Sol, Orion–Cygnus Arm, Milky Way. Age: > yesterday < tomorrow

Post by Kingfish » Aug 11 2013 9:59am

+1 on Slime with the black bits.

In 2010 On The Road #1 to Cali I ran over some bad wire from the remains of an exploded wheel/tread just coming into Auburn on Hwy 49 from the north. Had a lot of bike problems that day with failing spokes and now this... Got off the bike, found the wire and pulled it out. Crap - now the tire is leaking air - but wait! Rolled the bike backward so the hole was covered up - and Slime did the rest :mrgreen:

Fast Forward: In 2011 On The Road #2 to Cali I experienced a nasty flat tire and had used Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex Tire Sealant (Amazon link) inside the tube. Latex squirted out and covered almost the entire external rim and suspension instantly freezing into web-like goo that solidified PDQ. Once I was able to remove the tire, the inside was a #$%^&*@ sticky mess to clean up - and anything, dirt, twigs, leaves, shit - all stuck to it, and I used every curse word in my Salty Navy Engineer's Compendium trying to remove the substance to affect repair.

If you use any type of liquid sealant - Slime has my vote because it only takes a rag (or water if you can spare it) to clean up. :wink:

Inserts - > Rims and Tires Reference: Tubes & Foam Inserts
Always wanted to try an insert. Still lurking on one that might last a season.

Still Inflated, KF
* My 2WD Garden Wall
* Kinaye MotorSports
* Primary ride: 2WD Disc 9C 2806-equiv / Dual Lyen 12FET / 20S7P LiPo.
* Epics: Going to California: 2011 8)
* 50-mph, 101, 10k-Club. 12,527 miles-to-date, 7037 as 2WD.

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed.
The hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

RLD70   100 W

100 W

Post by RLD70 » Aug 11 2013 10:43am

Drunkskunk wrote:Those airless tires have more rolling resistnce, and can be a real drag. :mrgreen:

+1 on slime. I know that bicycle slime doesnt work all that well as Ive continued to have flats on the same tube that the slime is in while not running over anything just simply riding around. Ill have to try the ATV or 4x4 slime and see how good it works. Thanks DS for the heads up.

7tronics   100 mW

100 mW

Post by 7tronics » Aug 15 2013 8:10am

Has anyone tried the Kenda Airless innertube replacements? So far the only place I can find them available in the US is here:
[url=http://www.indemedical.com/EZN-Airfree- ... _1482.html]IndeMedical.com[\url]

Past attempts at airless tires/tyres have been way too squishy for my ebiking preference. However for a velomobile without much of a suspension such as the OT ELF, perhaps this is a great idea!?

My prior attempt at being thorn resistant is the thick thorn resistant Sunlite tubes with Stans Sealant added to them, and Biria 700c tires with thorn resistant liners. The Biria tires aren't designed for high pressure, but seem to work well at the 45psi that I typically inflate them.
Mark Smith, @W4CHL W4CHL Wiki
Light Electric Vehicle Assn
eBikes: 2001 Currie eFolder, 2001 Currie Mtn, 2005 Giant LaFree Lite, 2008 & 2010 Currie Trailz, 2010 iZip Via Rapido, 2011 Powabyke Shopper, 2007 Optibike 600, 2010 Marin Bikes BionX MTB
Other LEVs: 2007 Currie Tech eZip 500 eScooter, 2013 OT ELF (4Q2013), 2014 OT Naked ELF, 2019 Segway/Ninebot GoKart

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Aug 15 2013 8:30am

During the War we used grass.

Lebowski   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Lebowski » Aug 15 2013 8:33am

how about a stiff spring of about 2 meters length and about 1.5" to 2" in diameter ?

Maybe something like that is available on a motorcycles breakers yard