NEW 3 Freewheels bike from Cyclone

Don't wear bell bottom type pants with all that chain. :shock:

...and you boys thought getting caught in your zipper was bad.... :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Direct Pull

If this is actually coming from Cyclone it's interesting. They seem to be grappling with the fact that without a "direct pull" motor to rear wheel chain line you force the motor to crank it's full force through an extra bearing. Their upside down and backwards (stock) approach places the motor underneath and behind the front sprocket which means that the motor has to pull through the front bottom bracket freewheel under force.

I've said this before... the right configuration for these things has NOT been found yet. My guess is that someone will come up with an RC motor based geardown motor that blends into the drivetrain in such a way as to make everyone go "wow", but I don't think we're there yet.

:arrow: At least they are thinking and doing... that's how you get progess, trial and error... (with a little theory and "thought experiments" to aid in the process) Research and Development... it's a two stage process. It's like with "liberal ideas"... when it comes to actually making something "real" you develop down to the most "conservative" outcome. It's just natural for things to flow this way... it's a cycle of wild imagination tempered with down to earth practicality...

All that can be said is that if the 750 watt rule is the accepted baseline for electric bikes and the law makes no mention of gearing that the way manufacturers will improve on their power (legally) will be to alter their gearing. And that makes this experiment valuable... (even if it's not a big success)

I have a good idea in the works. It isn't perfect, but it will be 1bajillion% better than what I am seeing here. Hopefully my patent is accepted, I haven't been able to find anything similar in the patent records so far. It seems that honda has a TON of patents for electric bicycles.

You are quite right actually. Once the papers are in and I get a prototype running you bet I will be sharing here. Should take a month or so, and one of my big friends will be testing the design for me (250lb man) to be sure it is stout.

Miles said:
Seems a bit pointless to boast about something you have no immediate plans to reveal... :p
Yeah... just because safe does it, doesn't mean you should. :p :p :wink:

The proto might be a month away, but your patent application might take a while to process (to get your application# from USPTO). If you show your proto before you are ready to market, the knockoffs may beat you to the street.

I have a friend who holds a few pattents, and I went to her when I was considering getting a pattent on something a few months back. She had 3 pieces of advice for me.

1, Incorperate, or form a LLC. anything you pattent, you're liable for, even if the design is stolen. She did point out that someone sueing over injury from a stolen iodea would probably loose, but it would still go to court, and could be expensive.

2. Don't show anyone. if you post pics on the internet, then someone can see it after the pattent, copy it, then claim they saw it before the pattent was given, and be able to produce your design at will.

3 Don't bother. If its a good idea, it will be stolen by someone, produced in china, and sold. There is almost no recourse. You can sue, you could even win. But they still won't pay, and they will keep on producing your idea.

I have an LLC

Only my best friend knows the idea

I fully expect the idea to be ripped off in china, I have already had other products ripped off. Patents would still give me legal recourse in the US however, which would be my main market.

Now we are totally OT. Back to the Pants Shredder Cyclone!

+1

Patents can protect you domestically... but marginally. You need to be able to fight any challenge or infringement, or it's a waste.

The good news is: with the Internet, youtube and free graphic & video tools, you can market the sh!t outta something when you are ready to produce. Knockoff suppliers will not take the time to do that stuff well... so if you establish brand-superiority and doubt about competitors, you can still make $$ with a gizmo or system.

:mrgreen:

My guess is that someone will come up with an RC motor based geardown motor that blends into the drivetrain in such a way as to make everyone go "wow", but I don't think we're there yet.

I'm still really interested in the idea of setting a motor (rc motor probably) to run off of two different voltages, one for high amps (say, battery configured as 12V30Ah, motor configured for top speed@12v of 15mph) and one for high speed (battery configured as 24V15Ah, motor configured for top speed@24v of 30mph).

Alternative idea: high torque RC motor running chain drive to right side of rear wheel; pedals running separate chain drive to right side of rear wheel. Rear sprockets set-up as a cassette that slides left-right on rear cassette hub, 2-3 big gears for RC motor and 2-3 small gears for pedals. Shifter controls the left-right movement of the cassette; two rear-derailer-like contraptions (but without left-right movement capability or the bulky parallelogram linkage that allows left-right movement) force the chain to shift when the cassette moves side to side.

For an e-bike with a lot of power, 3 gear ratios are more than enough, especially if they are fairly widely spaced ratios.

Yep! 3 gears correctly spaced is enuff for a well powered Ebike!
otherDoc

safe said:
Direct Pull

If this is actually coming from Cyclone it's interesting. They seem to be grappling with the fact that without a "direct pull" motor to rear wheel chain line you force the motor to crank it's full force through an extra bearing. Their upside down and backwards (stock) approach places the motor underneath and behind the front sprocket which means that the motor has to pull through the front bottom bracket freewheel under force.

Hi Safe,

Do you know how much difference (done any testing?) this makes?

If you are not sure how much difference do you think this makes?

It looks similar to the Pi with a different physical layout. I'm pretty sure the Pi uses a Hienzmann Geared Hub Motor with two freewheels on the Motor shaft:
file.php

BTW I talked to someone who rode one of the first ebikes Marcus (Pi builder) built. He said with a 36V 500 watt Heinzmann it would go up hills so steep he couldn't hang on and had a top speed of at least 25 or 30 (I forget which).

Here's another method:
Rahmennews_400.jpg

Which design or layout do you think is best (disregarding the quality of the components :) )?

Thanks!

Mitch

I like the PI mid-drive implementation. I plan on doing something similar using a geared hub motor for the built in freewheeling capability. If there's not enough room for two separate sprockets (freewheel sprocket to the pedals) on the hub threads, I'll see if Tyler's idea of adding a threaded BB cup will work. It'll have to be mounted using the axle and it seems prudent to cover the spinning hub somehow.

If I'm thinking about this correctly, it will allow the front chain to the pedals to remain stationary while the motor drives through the rear gearing. It will also allow pedaling without any drag from the motor if its not being used.

I have a stretched cruiser with plenty of room under the seat for the motor.

Back