After having my baby stolen a few weeks ago..need advice

I had posted my e-bike theft from Albertson Market a few weeks ago. I have recovered my sanity I think. Bought a e-bike on a online auction. I want to minimize the risk in the future. I would love to hear from you guys your ideas to make the bike secure when I shop in the future. Kryptonite lock ,huge chains, booby trap hand grenade? How do you guys cope? Right now I am still in paranoid mode. I don't want to let it out of my sight. Don't want to live like that.

Personally I would never trust to leave my ebike out in public for more than 10 minutes. If I had to leave it out in public, I would invest in some kind of GPS tracker. This way if it gets stolen you have a way of possibly tracking it. You would have to hide this tracker very well in the bike.

Someone posted videos on this site from UK about how easy it was to defeat any type of locks. Those cordless angle grinders can cut through most anything in seconds.

I'm in the process of building one in Chicago, and this topic is also very much on my mind, since I'll have to park the bike in public from time to time.

I figure the most important things are: 1) Make your bike appear less desirable than others around it. This is a bit tricky when you've got disc brakes, let alone a motor, controller, battery, handlebars with wires coming out of them, and an aftermarket fork. Casual bike thieves tend to go for bikes that *look* valuable, ignoring beat-up looking courier bikes that are actually fast as all hell. Serious bike thieves look at components, not the condition of the finish on the frame. There are a whole lot more casual bike thieves, but both groups notice disc brakes.

My only solution here is to build off a bog-standard beach-cruiser model in matte black, make the battery removable, and hide the rest as best I can.

About the best I've got going for me in this regard is that e-bikes are exceedingly rare in Chicago. I don't think I've ever seen one. And so I reckon, anyone seeing mine when the battery pack is removed will not know what they're looking at. It will be an odd-looking bicycle with what looks like a large hub gear system. Heck, Chicago's shared bicycles look more electric than mine will.

2) Make your bike harder to steal than the other bikes around it. The plain truth is that bicycle theft is a crime of opportunity. Nobody is *planning* to steal your bicycle; they're just looking for *a* bicycle. In Chicago, it's fairly normal for people with good bikes to use two or more locks. Generally it's a heavy-duty D-lock and a heavy chain, the logic being that a thief would need two tools, but would likely only have one, and it would take at least double the time. Also, other bikes nearby would likely have easier locks to break.

I figure on two D-locks and a chain, though I won't need to use all of them every time I pop to the shops.

But still, it's Chicago. Bikes get stolen -- in fact, there's a market where you can buy your stolen bike back within a week or so. Still, I'd prefer not to do that, and am very interested in hearing what others here do about security.

Surely one of you has figured out a security system that delivers an electric shock to anyone who touches the frame or handlebars, right? I'd like one of those.

Theft resistance ebikes require riders who are secure with themselves, because the uglier the better. Rattlecan paint job, exposed wiring, and duct tape are your friends. Ever notice that those with beater bikes don't need to carry locks of any kind?

Long-term though what we should work to change is the real cause of bike theft. That is the lack of any consequences along with no effort to catch the criminals. We should all install hidden tracking devices and see that swift sure and fair punishment is doled out to those caught red-handed.

Having a removable battery pack makes me feel a lot better about leaving the bike in public.

Would it be possible to short circuit the motor with a hidden switch? I know from playing with little brushed motors that they become a lot harder to turn when they're connected back onto themselves. I figure the same principle would apply to brush-less hub motors since regen is possible, is that right?

I feel like if someone overcame your bike lock and tried to ride off they'd ditch it pretty quick if it was ridiculously hard to ride.

I just touched 2 phase wires together and it was much harder to turn the wheel by hand. Would riding with a short like that damage the controller, hall sensors or anything else?

Maybe if you're feeling particularly psychotic you could just run a defibrillator across the handle bars. :lol:

I feel like if someone overcame your bike lock and tried to ride off they'd ditch it pretty quick if it was ridiculously hard to ride.

This would certainly deter a good number theft cases, but in any big city, there are crews that just cut the lock and toss the bike into a van. They'll be far away before they find out the pedals don't work.

I never leave my ebike outside in public if I cannot glance at it every minute.
You all forgot about that all equipment we carry on ebike, CA is over $150, powerful LEDs, etc.
Bicycle rack are jokes, they are for dep. store bikes junk.
Also I plan where I go. Place must accept bikes inside legally or illegally or I do not go there by bike.
I can roll my ebike into some shopping like Safeway, Superstore, Sobeyes, and leave it by the cashier, no questions ask.
At Home Depot I simply walk bike everywhere, so far no comments from stuff.
Other like doc office are more tricky, IMPORTANT to get through lobby into elevator fast .

miro13car said:
I never leave my ebike outside in public if I cannot glance at it every minute.
You all forgot about that all equipment we carry on ebike, CA is over $150, powerful LEDs, etc.
Bicycle rack are jokes, they are for dep. store bikes junk.
Also I plan where I go. Place must accept bikes inside legally or illegally or I do not go there by bike.
I can roll my ebike into some shopping like Safeway, Superstore, Sobeyes, and leave it by the cashier, no questions ask.
At Home Depot I simply walk bike everywhere, so far no comments from stuff.
Other like doc office are more tricky, IMPORTANT to get through lobby into elevator fast .

True dat.
The best theft deterrent is your hands on the handlebars. I take my folding bike inside when I shop. It has a basket, so it doubles as a shopping cart (at home depot, grocery store, etc.). When I go out for drink with friends, its locked outside with a tough-ass Tigr lock and a cellular connected GPS tracker hidden on the bike (or two). Paranoid? Yeah, that's my favorite song actually. Have I lost a bike? Never.

MattyCiii said:
When I go out for drink with friends, its locked outside with a tough-ass Tigr lock and a cellular connected GPS tracker hidden on the bike (or two). Paranoid? Yeah, that's my favorite song actually. Have I lost a bike? Never.

Drinking and riding. Obviously your paranoia is misplaced.

Kriptonite's New York lock "fagettaboutit" is probably the hardest lock to defeat, but no lock is bullet proof. An audible motion sensor alarm is also a good idea if you will be within earshot of your bike. I also like small disc brake locks. If you couple the locking mechanisms with the motion sensor, in theory you have enough time to respond to the alarm before the locks are defeated. They have cell phone apps that will send the alarm to your phone. The problem with the GPS systems is that you have to pay a monthly fee for the sim/server...but if you hide it well enough you can send the cops (or a hitman) to the thieves location. :twisted: :twisted:

I'm starting to think two e-bikes are better than one. A beater for running errands that weighs a ton but is super sturdy so even if they get the lock off they'll need a flatbed to cart it off. Of course it would also need something like Golden Motor's wheel lockout function. Then you could have your fun flashy bike that you never park anywhere and keep safely secured indoors when you're at home.

Right now I have my one and only e-bike which I use long, winding locks on when I go shopping. I wrap them through the wheels, the frame, the bike corral, around the battery pack etc. Sure it's kind of a pain to lock/unlock it this way but if it's difficult for you, and you know how you wrapped it, imagine how tough it'll be for a thief? It gives you that much more to time to catch a thief if they get past the locking mechanisms.

I tend not to keep my bike locked up for more than 30 minutes most of the time and even then I'm checking on it through a window. I have a sense of urgency when shopping so I can get back to my bike quickly. When I want a bit of extra security I use a huge padlock and chain plus a cheap u lock. The security aspect of the ebike is a nuisance. I'm sure the majority of nice bikes on this forum are only used for recreation. I'd estimate 99% of the time a heavy lock or two, to a solid object, will prevent theft. I just don't think there's many thieves out there with angle grinders. Still if i see a pack of teenagers or something that I don't like I won't lock my bike up there.

A beater bike is a good idea too. It's always good to have a backup.

lbz5mc12 said:
I'm starting to think two e-bikes are better than one. A beater for running errands that weighs a ton but is super sturdy so even if they get the lock off they'll need a flatbed to cart it off. Of course it would also need something like Golden Motor's wheel lockout function. Then you could have your fun flashy bike that you never park anywhere and keep safely secured indoors when you're at home.

Make that 2nd bike a cargo ebike. An ebike capable of loads and or a passenger or two is an incredibly useful machine.

Shorting the phases will help, very unlikely the thief will understand to remove that jumper plug, unless he watched you put it on. Bet they watched you park that bike that disappeared.

Short the phases to the motor. NOT the controller side. Harmless to the motor.

Ugly is good. Nobody can hock that crazy homeless guys bike. But as Amberwolf will testify, d---heads will still mess with it.

Make that your starting point. Two ebikes, one very nice, the other looking like shit is a great strategy, and one I use. I don't EVER park the nice bike anywhere but in my garage.

Longtail is a good idea. It's part of my ugly bike strategy. So far, this has been plenty ugly for my town. At 160 pounds loaded with battery, if they don't get the thing running, they won't ride far. Loading it into a van would even be a bitch. Being a very unique bike would seem to make it less hockable.Bouncing Betty 5-2013.jpg

I leave this bike outside walmart, or other stores for up to 30 min. I put the cheapest possible chain on the front wheel only. at 160 pounds, they are not carrying it off.

I had an idea to install a motion sensor on the bike, and then have a radio set to transmit next to the motion sensor.
If it went off I would hear it transmit the alarm. So, if I went into a store I would have time to run out and stab someone in the face.

My shitty motion sensor lock die in a week of having it, so I said screw it and never leave it outside.

Thanks everyone. All your ideas helped. The bike that got stolen was a old Diamond back with red tires and a red metal toolbox that encased the battery. Goofy looking my friends all said. They called me Pee Wee Mike. I also thought no one would steal it realated to the looks. WRONG. Anyway I like the quality locks you guys recommended. I also will follow up and look into the Phone app thing. For the time being I don't think I will use it to go shopping. Not unless I can visibly keep an eye on it.

This is what I use to protect my cargo e-bike: http://www.bullylocks.com/alarm_lock.html.
You can find it online for around $100 - spendy but worth it for peace of mind.

WhatcomRider said:
This is what I use to protect my cargo e-bike: http://www.bullylocks.com/alarm_lock.html.
You can find it online for around $100 - spendy but worth it for peace of mind.
Now that is a nice lock.
I like these motorbike vibration sensitive alarm locks, for the price, they are mighty loud, just takes a little touching of your bike and they go off.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6mm-Steel-Motorcycle-Brake-Disc-Safety-Lock-w-Security-Alarm-/390452831813?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae8cd6645
or this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-New-Motorbike-Cycle-Bike-Bicycle-D-U-Lock-with-130-db-motion-detection-alarm-/290972968608?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43bf5726a0

John in CR said:
MattyCiii said:
When I go out for drink with friends, its locked outside with a tough-ass Tigr lock and a cellular connected GPS tracker hidden on the bike (or two). Paranoid? Yeah, that's my favorite song actually. Have I lost a bike? Never.

Drinking and riding. Obviously your paranoia is misplaced.
Most people enjoy a night out with friends and leave the bar in safe riding/driving condition. Living in CR, you should be more concerned with getting mugged at gunpoint for your shoes. They do have all you can drink buffet clubs in CR so maybe that is where you get your concerns. Stay safe John. :mrgreen:

CR = Costa Rica? Being in AU I am extra clueless about south america and what life is like down there. Seeing people from any part of south america in australia is probably the most uncommon event in terms of most of the worlds people.

I think I need a way to inplant that GPS tracker device into the bowels of the Lip04 battery? The bike is only worth $180 but the battery is over $500. However I really apreciate you guys giving me all the ideas. I think I will go with that TIGR titanium lock. A motion alarm. And of course the shotgun shell booby trap incased in the seatpost. Its a win win set up. I pity the poor fool that takes this bike. He well never suffer from constipation again.

TheBeastie said:
CR = Costa Rica? Being in AU I am extra clueless about south america and what life is like down there. Seeing people from any part of south america in australia is probably the most uncommon event in terms of most of the worlds people.

Cost Rica is in central America. :mrgreen:

psychonurse said:
I think I need a way to inplant that GPS tracker device into the bowels of the Lip04 battery? The bike is only worth $180 but the battery is over $500. However I really apreciate you guys giving me all the ideas. I think I will go with that TIGR titanium lock. A motion alarm...

The TiGr lock's power comes from the "WTF" factor of a thief prepared to cut a cable or use a bottle jack on a D-lock. But a cordless angle grinder would probably get through it in 2 minutes instead of the 1 minute of a normal lock.

The GPS I use is a GeoGram One, costing $130 + antenna and battery. It's pretty bare bones (BYO/DIY enclosure), but also pretty powerful. It can be programmed to go into deep sleep mode (preserve battery), it has an accelerometer (to wake from sleep), and it's Arduino compatible with digital and analog IO pins, so you could pretty much expand it to do anything you want. I use a SIM from Telna mobile - unlimited incoming text messages and 1000 outgoing tests a month, for $20 a year. Not a bad insurance policy.

The Geogram One runs off 1S LiPo, but can charge that cell through USB. Many modern wall wart chargers work just fine off DC power. So I have a USB wall wart charger on a pigtail that I can use to send power to the Geogram One USP port: basically the main battery (charged just about every day) keeps charging power to the GPS system, so its battery is topped off. I'm still working the bugs out of that, it's all extra wires and stuff to manage. But it's peace of mind when my back is turned. And if I ever get around to using those general purpose IO pins, I plan to implement a remote activated loud horn. GPS position of your bike gets you close, then activate the screech tone to close in on the bike, and hopefully the thief (police in tow, of course).

My roommate uses one of those heavy duty cables that stores use to lock up merchandise on their front aprons. You can see where thieves have tried to get through the cable to no avail.

Back