ZombieSS's Official Greyborg Warp build thread LOTS OF PICs

zombiess

10 MW
I plan to use this thread as an illustrative guide as I build up my Warp frame. I will be including prices, will be back to list them a little later tonight.

So here is the breakdown, prices include tax & shipping.

Warp9 19x2.15 aluminum rims in black = $225.19
Shipping motor and hub to Volt Riders = $26.16
Wheel build front & rear by Volt Riders = $444.20
Shinko 2.75 x 19 MC tires + Tubes + Rim strips = $109.01
V2 Cromotor = $595
DNM Dual Disc Hub $50
Tire mounting $40

Total for complete wheel set = $1489.56

For now, here are the pictures of the wheel set that Volt Rider built for me.

These are 2.15" wide 19" MC wheels made by Warp9.
Tires are Shinko SR244 19 x 2.75

Weights
Front wheel 6lbs
Rear wheel 30lbs
Tire + tube = 7.5lb each

Front total 15lbs
Rear total 38lbs

View attachment 3

Warp Wheels2.jpg

Warp Wheels3.jpg

Warp Wheels4.jpg

The 31.8 seat post I bought doesn't fit, it binds up about 1.5" in. I'm guessing this is because of the coating on the frame, either way it's just too tight for my liking, I do not want to worry about it becoming stuck. I just ordered a 31.6mm seat post, hopefully it fits, if not I need to go a bit smaller.

Now that I see how wide these rims are I'm wondering if I should have gone with the 3.0 wide tire, these rims are very nice and surprisingly light, I'm thinking about exchanging them, it's a tough call. Wheel build looks beautiful as always thanks to Volt Riders. I always give them a challenge with wheel builds and they never fail to get the job done and have the wheels look beautiful.

nicobie said:
$222 to lace one rim? That's got to be a typo....

Front wheel labor-$110
Rear wheel labor-$139
Rear spokes-$79.20
fornt spokes-$36
estimate shipping-$80

Still way cheap compared to what the Lycra people spend on wheel builds. Seems correct to me. The last 20" bmx build I had done with a MTB disc hub cost me around $250 including all parts and it wasnt high end components. Good wheel builds are not cheap. I will happily pay someone $250 in labor to build 2 wheels like this for me. I am not a wheel builder and I want top notch work. I don't think any of my local bike shops would touch this and most motorcycle shops charge even more and are not familiar with what I am need done. These are out of the normal comfort zone of most people since it combines motorcycle parts with bicycle parts.

Yes, totally agree, custom mix and match wheels for ebikes are very hard to put together.
BTW, Zombiess, could you measure actual OD of your tire? Thx

LSBW said:
Yes, totally agree, custom mix and match wheels for ebikes are very hard to put together.
BTW, Zombiess, could you measure actual OD of your tire? Thx

After it is mounted I will. I am told it should be just over 25" from what I saw the Stealth guys using.

I received the shock mounting hardware from Proshox today, it works great, perfect fit. Time to mount up the shock. Need to drop off the wheels at Cyclegear and have the tires mounted.

I'm thinking about carrying a few 240mm Fast Ace shocks in stock along with the correct mounting hardware to offer frame buyers. With the preload all the way loose and the 600lb spring it feels like it is going to be just about right for me since I weigh 175lbs/79kg. I should have the 240mm DNMs with 650lb springs next week. Even the 550lb 280mm Fast Ace shock felt like it could work well, but I have a feeling it will change the geometry more than I would like, it also lacks a compression adjustment. I won't really be able to tell until I get this rolling and a proper seat installed.

This is starting to really come together nicely, even my wife is excited to see it all together and has commented how good it looks.

Seems like you are making some progress :)

Unfortunately, I am weighing in at circa 115kg @ 6ft 4"; any idea which shock/spring I should be looking at for the Greyborg?

sacko said:
Seems like you are making some progress :)

Unfortunately, I am weighing in at circa 115kg @ 6ft 4"; any idea which shock/spring I should be looking at for the Greyborg?

Greyborg and myself are both testing DNM shocks with 650lb springs. They got a single 260mm and I ordered 240mm. I thing the 240mm will work well because all someone needs to do is adjust the preload for the correct sag. At your weight a 650lb spring will probably be good. I have a 600lb spring on my fast ace and I have to have the preload almost completely loose to get the needed sag. Not sure if 260 or 240mm is better. I would thing 260mm if you plan to run small diameter tires for some extra ground clearance. I am thinking its is basically a wash. I mounted my 280mm fast ace 550lb spring and with the preloaded loose it too can work. It lacks adjustable compression but that is not so bad.
I am pretty sure I will be stocking both shocks, I just need to test ride them. I should have the fast ace mounted today along with my wheels. DNM shocks should arrive this week and as long as everything fits correctly I will have 3 of them for sale. I will probably order 5 fast ace shocks and have the mounting hardware made for them as well. I plan to offer kits with shocks. I have 20 frame sets on order.

So I finally got the bicycle together. Tire diameter ends up being 25.3" and mounted on these wheel the 2.75" wide tire ends up being just shy of 3.3" wide. Does this meet the definition of a fat tire bike?

Here are 2 quick pictures of me 6'1 standing where the seat will go once I get a post and one of my wife 5'0 holding the bike.

I scaled it just as you see in these photos and it comes in at 86lbs even as pictured. I'm guessing my all up build will be just over 100lbs depending on how much LiPo I decide to carry. I can already tell it's going to have a super cushy ride. The crank placement seems like it's going to be good for pedaling. standing on this and sitting on the seat tube reminds me of it being an extremely light weight dirt bike. I can't wait to get the Schlumpf and crank installed so I can pedal it around and see how it really feels. Seat post should be here in a day or two.

I will be posting more detailed photos soon.

warp-jw.jpg

warp-gg.jpg

very nice build. cant wait to see the final bike!

how many volts and amps are you going to run?

i see you put it together in the living room just like i did :)

OMG, that thing is manly, thanks for the pics. Mind doing me a favor and measuring the wheelbase from axle to axle?

Also, do you have a weight figure for the frame?

Gret job! Looks awesome.

Looking forward to you getting this completed.

I am however concerned that my 21" MotoX rim with 90/90/21 tyre will not fit that rear swingarm, or if it does it is going to be tight.

sacko said:
Gret job! Looks awesome.

Looking forward to you getting this completed.

I am however concerned that my 21" MotoX rim with 90/90/21 tyre will not fit that rear swingarm, or if it does it is going to be tight.

I do not see a 21" fitting based on what I have so far. A 90/90 is going to be almost 4 inches wide mounted and your tire diameter will be somewhere around 28" based on tire calcs I did previously. 19" mc is the biggest that will fit. Some tire width is based on rim width. My rims are really wide compared to normal. I didnt measure before the tires were mounted but they look wider than 2.15". I wa s aiming for a 25" or tire and got it jUST right.

Neptronix, the wheel base is 54"

Balls, certainly looks tight :/

How much are the shocks you are selling with fitting kit? I have looked at a few, but am no closer in making my mind up.

sacko said:
Balls, certainly looks tight :/

How much are the shocks you are selling with fitting kit? I have looked at a few, but am no closer in making my mind up.

I'll sell a DNM 650lb spring setup for $245 after I'm sure the hardware fits. I can sell the Fast Ace 600lb setup for $165, but I have to wait about 3 weeks before I will have the mounting hardware in stock for Fast Ace.

My build is on hold for now because I do not have any working brakes front or rear because the amazingly incompetent Hygia completely screwed up every single one of the 40 sets of brakes I ordered from them.

I'm totally pissed off, I was hoping to go for a test ride this weekend but no brakes = no riding.

Subscribed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looking awesome!!! BTW, those are SR244s, not 241s. I was wondering why your tires came out to 25.3 inches and not 25.1 inches when you posted the data on the Stealth thread. There is about 1/4 inch difference between the 241s and 244s 2.75x19.

///Edit/// just re-read your post, you did say 244. For whatever reason, I had it in my head you said 241s. My bad.

Rick

zombiess said:
Tire diameter ends up being 25.3"

Here are 2 quick pictures of me 6'1 standing where the seat will go once I get a post and one of my wife 5'0 holding the bike.

View attachment 1

thanks so much for this info and pics, it's exactly what I wanted to see. As I was thinking this bike will probably be too tall for me. I would like to stand over flat footed as you are in the pic but I am only 171cm tall = I think 5'6...

That's one reason I now would like to see how 22" rear and 24" front or 20" rear and 22" front mtb sized wheels would fit. that would lower the bike just right. Is the geometry wrong to have shorter front suspension/single crown forks?

My concern is once going that low when that huge shock fully compresses will the chain ring or frame hit the ground and would I need shorter crank arms. If so are there crank arms that would be compatible with the speed drive system?

I am not too worried about peddling efficiency, they are there for helping the motor at start and on steep hills and the cops. :)

thanks again - watching this thread closely and want one of these when a group order can be done in Australia.

hint: Aussies out there interested in a group order let me know.

subscribed.

looking great!

Back