Anti-theft GPS tracker, $20

spinningmagnets

Staff member
The unit is only 4.3-cm by 3.2-cm (1.7-inch X 1.3-inch). Rechargeable battery. I don't know anything about them. Does anybody know of a better product? (even if slightly more expensive). I believe it requires a SIM card that is not included, no idea what that would cost.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-GPS-GP...-for-Children-Old-People-Car-A8-/360740312349
$(KGrHqIOKosFIK2WFIkLBSK!YbCjmw~~60_35.JPG

Heaps on ebay. Search for gps tracker. Cheap ones like this usually use just the mobile towers to locate, once you've put a sim card in. More expensive ones ($45+) start to use mobile and proper gps as well.

Although you can get trackers cheap like this, they are easily found, battery doesn't last very long and you need to roll your own mapping solution.

This is much better:

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

Kudos

The "integrated Trackers" product comes with a SIM card, and the pre-pay monthly fee is $5.68. Can this be installed, and then don't pay the monthly fee until it's stolen?

Lots of good choices, thanks for the posts. For an E-bike, there are many choices for a small DC-DC converter to keep the tracker charged up from the 36V/48V/72V battery pack.

kudos said:
Although you can get trackers cheap like this, they are easily found, battery doesn't last very long and you need to roll your own mapping solution.

This is much better:

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

Kudos

I bought one of those, and are facing a lot of issues getting the GPS tracker communicate over GPRS with the servers on my prepaid SIM card. I actually had the GPS tracker tell me it's position over SMS, so it does work. The battery claims it lasts for 3 months, and the tracker will send you an SMS with the voltage when low on juice.

As soon as I get it to work, I will write a more elaborate review.

Did you get the rear light version or the steerer tube version?

Kudos

I have spent 200 $ last year for a GPS tracker.
20$ is very cheap, any reliability reviews ?

kudos said:
Did you get the rear light version or the steerer tube version?

Kudos

steering tube version.

Must admit I haven't tried them myself but they seem to be widely used.

Maybe it's just a config issue perhaps.

Looking forward to your opinion when you get it sorted.

Kudps

Spicerack said:
Heaps on ebay. Search for gps tracker. Cheap ones like this usually use just the mobile towers to locate, once you've put a sim card in. More expensive ones ($45+) start to use mobile and proper gps as well.

The gps location is often useless, as it won't work indoors. The cheaper phone based units like this often offer audio, so you know where it is and can also gather names. The police are not going to act upon anything else. They won't get a warrant based on the gps location given by an unapproved device as there accuracy is not good enough. Add audio to that though and they can be quite certain about the address by both watching and listening to tie events together.

This unit may offer the eve's dropping facility, but I can't be sure. I'm waiting for such a device to appear as there a bit old skool now, having been replaced by devices made specifically for the job, instead of mobile phone tech. You can get gps trackers with online tracking through the suppliers website for similar money, but I simply must have audio or it is barely functional imo.

payg sims can be annoying if they need topping up every month. Contracts are as bad. You should be able to buy a device loaded with a number of 'finds' and buy more for it as and when you please. There not phone based though, so no audio. I really want something like the OP posted with a payg sim that keeps it's credit till it is used, and does not disconnect if no calls are made for a few months.

Back