New project with a special bike

stijn13

10 mW
Hey

i have this bikke already a few years and now i am looking to convert it in to a e-bike.
I would like to put at least 2000W in. 1000W hub at front + a reare 1000W hub motor.

But how if you look at the pictures you see that the bike has no caine.

What do i do?
- Do it anyway and remove the peadels.
- Try to work whit a mid drive e bike kit
- Just sell the bike and buy something els.

169128700_1-unieke-fiets.jpg

169128700_2-unieke-fiets.jpg

169128700_3-unieke-fiets.jpg

169128700_4-unieke-fiets.jpg

169128700_5-unieke-fiets.jpg

169128700_6-unieke-fiets.jpg

Stijn

Interesting bike, but you sure can't keep the original pedal drive and have a rear hubmotor. I'm not even sure if a typical mid drive could be used, such as the GNG or Cyclone kits.

Your hub has a set of disk holes, is there room for a sprocket there? Without losing your rear brakes? Sprocket on the left seems to me to be your only option.

Or just front hub it, an go KISS.

It would make a great hooligan bike with no pedal drive, and a 3000w rear motor. HS clyte in 20" wheel would have some zing on 72v. You'd rarely want or need to pedal it, but might look illegal.

A fast ebike already obviously illegal even with pedals right?

That's a rather special and unique bike. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't screw it up by converting to an ebike. Get a much less expensive bike for conversion to an ebike. Best wishes.
Rich

Sell, that's the worst frame design I've ever seen.

richmpdx said:
That's a rather special and unique bike. Others may disagree, but I wouldn't screw it up by converting to an ebike. Get a much less expensive bike for conversion to an ebike. Best wishes.
Rich
I agree, the bike is rare and you could sell it at a good price. Then, buy a bike that is more suitable to build, expansive or not.

I don't know, the frame does look weak, but maybe it's not in fact. But the funny drive makes it less desirable for anything but a front hub commuter.

I have also given the advice many times, "don't wreck your favorite bike with a motor". But the same may apply, "Don't wreck your weird bike with a motor". Maybe it's weird enough to fetch a nice price from the right person.

Hey

Thanks for all your opinions

A rear hub motor and keeping the peadeling system is impossible.
The gears are mounted inside rear wheel. So the only option is the front hub motor.

So i will try to sell the bike an buy a less expensive bike for conversion.

Stijn

A mid drive still possible though. One that uses a bolt on freewheeling front sprocket on the pedals to connect the motor.

Neat bike. But I agree, its unsuitable for any kind of conversion. Left side mid drive might be possable, but why put a lefty chain on a chainless bike? And its generaly an epicly bad idea to mount a motor on an aloy fork, especialy a powerfull motor.

Sell it, and get something cheap with a conventional 7 speed rear and no front suspension if you want to run 2 motors.

I don't know how good you are with fabricating but that is a cool looking bike and I think it would be awesome to see if you can electrify it. Even though it will not be a strait forward bolt on build, I think you should convert it.

What I would do is weld a sprocket onto the shaft perpendicular to the drive line and then run a mid-drive sideways or rear drive on the other side of the wheel.

Good luck with it.

I would put a hub motor behind the seatpost, above the rear fork.
Get rid of the rear diskbrake and mount a sprocket, run a chain from the motor to this sprocket.
If you mount the motor reverse, you can use a small freewheel on the motor and get a good
reduction to the rearwheel sprocket. It'll be a wheely monster :D Get a bare HS3540 or something similar.

OK, I didn't see the little brace above and near the front of the upper rear stays. The brace they used is under compression and would be better placed in front where it would be under tension. But its still a weak design and not worthy of even more stresses.

bad design.jpg

The seat looks awfully far back over the contact patch - I'd be concerned about wheelies with a rear-wheel drive of any kind.

Put it in a museum. I'm pretty sure there's not a lot of them. Shaft drives fell out of favour when the roller chain got invented. They've resurfaced from time to time, kinda like the row-bike or step-bike but without the giggle factor.

Steal something steel and keep it real. Starting with a more mainstream design will make your job easier.

Hey~ Pretty cool 20" rig. I wouldn't electrify it, but I might want it in my stable. I had a studebaker once. How much to buy? Where do you live? Or...I could do a part barter for a nice battery enclosure for the bike that you find to build. What's the frame material>?? Thanks & happy trails.

dannyboyohyeah said:
Hey~ Pretty cool 20" rig. I wouldn't electrify it, but I might want it in my stable. I had a studebaker once. How much to buy? Where do you live? Or...I could do a part barter for a nice battery enclosure for the bike that you find to build. What's the frame material>?? Thanks & happy trails.

I'm from belgium, for a lot of people on es belgium is not that close. I'm happy to sell the bike for 250€, or we can exchange.
PS me with some pictures of the product that you want to exchange

Very sorry to take so long to reply. But yeah, you're right...Belgium makes the deal a breaker for both of us, I imagine. I'd just keep that little beast as a novelty, but I am not you. Thanks.

Back