Good choice of bike for rear mount goldenmotor?

JinbaIttai

100 W
I am considering purchasing this bike from Wally world: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2061606

Does anyone foresee any problems putting a rear-hub goldenmotor on it and going with a ping 36v 12ah lifepo4? It's only 7 speeds, will the 7 cogs clear without interference? The goldenmotor comes with a 5-cog.

I don't see a problem with it. You can limit the derailleur shift by turning the screws on the back. Or, you can just not shift to gears 6 and 7. I like the fact that the bike comes with a chain guard. No messing up your pants. Maybe a seatpost rack that is braced with p clamps on the rear triangle to hold your stuff?

On my Schwinn the motor fit very tight in the rear dropouts and they required a slight bit of spreading. Others have stated the same with different bikes. Talked with one of the more knowledable bike shops near me and they said more would not fit without some serious dishing of the wheel which was not recomended. I would doubt you will get more than the 5 gears the motor comes with. I think you will find you only use two or three gears once you start riding. Get a torq bar to keep from damaging your bike. Some info on my experience of the purchase and build in the link.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=279.0

biohazardman,

So you kept the 5 gears the motor came with? What are the teeth counts?
My greatest concern is losing the tallest gear ratio, which might negate my ability to assist the motor when cruising 15-20 mph, unless I flap my legs at a million RPM. I imagine that the 5 gears are simply a wide ratio version of a typical 6 or 7 gear hub, but I am not sure.

Your bike has been in my photo album for stealthiest conversions. That rear hub motor just disappears into your bike, especially with the silver and black Schwinn paint job. Is that a Sierra 7? http://www.schwinnbike.com/products/bikes_detail.php?id=975

Most likley you will still have the small cog gear on a five, and lose some of the larger ones, or just have more space in between. I've been wanting a bigger front crank for mine, which is hard to peadal along with above about 22 mph. But I'm getting the hang of it, today I was actually putting power into the peadals at 28 mph. Must look funny as hell. I almost bought the same bike, it looked real good to me, but then I ended up getting some good deals on the mongoose bikes wally sells at garage sales. I really like full suspension. On the ping, get a 20 ah, it will not cut out on you on hills. Some folks have problems with smaller sises, and you will soon be using the extra range with joy.

JinbaIttai said:
I am considering purchasing this bike from Wally world: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2061606

Does anyone foresee any problems putting a rear-hub goldenmotor on it and going with a ping 36v 12ah lifepo4? It's only 7 speeds, will the 7 cogs clear without interference? The goldenmotor comes with a 5-cog.

AVOID that bike.

The motor sounds fine.

The bike is a problem because it has no rear pivot point, if it is the same model they had in the store. it uses the bottom arms to flex as a pivot mechanism. That might work for steel, badly. on aluminum it will fatigue. Add the weight and stress of a motor and its going to fail.

Ahem.

DSCN0142.jpg

Schwinn S-40. It's more expensive than the one you listed (think I paid $240), but a pretty good ride, and it has a front disc brake. Had to get the paint out of the drops to make the axle fit, but otherwise works fine. Rear 8mm aluminum drops are fairly beefy and seem to be holding out to 48V/40A, but I'd still like to put torque arms on it.

The derailleur is a 7-speed, so I adjusted that to where I just don't use the bottom two gears.

48V too fast for this bike's current gearing, but I think you should be able to pedal on 36V.

Pretty torquey motor. Love to get it into a 20" with a crapload of voltage. 8)

Drunkskunk said:
JinbaIttai said:

AVOID that bike.

The motor sounds fine.

The bike is a problem because it has no rear pivot point, if it is the same model they had in the store. it uses the bottom arms to flex as a pivot mechanism. That might work for steel, badly. on aluminum it will fatigue. Add the weight and stress of a motor and its going to fail.

I'd bet you money that the rear swing arms are steel on that bike. That's the way the chinese are making them nowadays. alum up front and steel in the back.

Thanks, I didn't even think of seeing if it lacks a pivot point.

Here's a higher res shot of somebody else's Next Avalon. I can't find any photos of the other side to see if there is some kind of hidden pivot point.
nextavalon2nz8.jpg

I could grab a refrigerator magnet from another part of the store to test the dropouts for steel, but I think I am going to pass altogether on it now.

JinbaIttai
Yes it is a Sierra a 1991 when the aluminum was US made 7005. I had to stretch the dropouts a bit over 1/8th inch to get the motor in the frame. It was a $350 bike in it's day so thought it was a good starting point. No problems as of 600+ miles. I am using the stock 5 speed freewheel that came on the motor. Can't get a smaller ring, 13 tooth I think, on the screw on type freewheel arrangements the low gear is a 29 tooth. I can keep up with the motor at 36v at 20mph without to much problem and take it up to about 23 on level ground but that’s pedaling pretty fast. The front chain ring could be larger for higher gearing. Spend as much as you can afford on the bike as your life may depend on it's strength someday. The S-40 does look nice expect it is heavier than the 30lb of the Sierra. Still full suspension is a definate plus and I am building another with it now. Don't try to use the stock rim or axle nuts that come on the kit as you would just be asking for trouble.

Ive had good luck with Next bikes ffom Walmart for my rear trike suspensions. I usuall get the bikes from Goodwill for $10 or so, but I did have to buy one new when GW was out of suspension bikes. All had steel trailing arms, a rudimentary shock and legitimate pivot bearings, usually separate from the bottom bracket. They all rotated around a bushing type bearing, but roller or ball bearings would enhance the suspension action. At 230 lbs, bushings well lubed are fine for me!
otherDoc

I almost bought the same bike, and there is a pivot hiding behind the sprocket. It had very little travel in the rear end though, compared to cheapie mtbs. Not a horrible bike though inexpensive, and comfy to ride, like my trike. But like my trike, it will be geared for a max speed of 15 mph or so. So if you need to peadle at 20 mph to fool a cop, it won't be easy. It looks to me like you could easily get a garage sale mtb cheap and put the crank and deraliur on it and have a pretty good ebike. And it won't scream steal me, like an expensive bike does.

It seems like every Walmart on the island has sold every one of its Avalons.

Well it doesn't matter to me anymore because I ended up picking up a used Schwinn S-30 off of craigslist today!

I will also confirm that a MTB will fit in the passenger's seat of a Miata without having to remove the wheels. Good thing it was a short ride :p .

Now for a motor and a LiFePo4...

Ya know, it just dawned on me! Duh!!! We actually have a nearly new Avalon sitting in the back of the bike shed! It needs new tires, but I think Ill electrafy it for a guest bike!!!! Really, the stuff we forget!
olderthan dirt
otherDoc

If U have a rear motor with a disc attachment, U could drop the rear wheel size to 24 or even 20", and use a better, longer shock for increased rear suspension travel and softness! I do this all the time for my trike trailing arms, and plan to get a long travel Honda or other pit bike shock! 3-4 inches of travel at the shock really makes a plush ride. U need to lower the spring rates usually to 300 inch/lbs or so, less on a trike.
otherDoc

Back