Does a rear suspension protect a wheel?

pizark

10 W
Hi ya'll,

This ebike thing is really addicting, and I can't help but think of different configurations to run. Anyways, I was wondering if having a bike with a rear suspension does anything to protect a rear hub motor wheel (5303) from getting bent or otherwise damaged. I can't figure out if a rear suspension is more for my protection or the bike's.

I'm currently running 26" trek hardtail with 2.125 tires at 55psi. The ride is fine, but once in a while I'll hit a crack, bump, hole, or whatever is on the road that day... and I can't help but be fearful that my rim will dent, tire pop, or whatever. I'm using this to commute 12 miles to work, each way.. so having a reliable bike is absolutely critical. Got no doubt a FS will make the ride and handling better,... but protect the wheel assembly? Suspension or not, on a hub motor wheel,.. it's still unsprung weight, right?

thanks,

pzark

That's a good question... let me know what you discover. I'm running a hardtail Jamis Durango and I've popped 3 spokes and had 3 flats in my first 450 miles of commuting. I've been thinking about a FS also. Go figure. :roll:

I stopped bending rims and breaking spokes on my ebike when I went to full suspension.

With suspension you don't slam all your weight down on the wheel with every bump - say 3g's of accel - that 260KG delivered in .001secs on a non suspension bike. With suspension the 'attack' time is spread out over say .5 seconds making peak load much lower.

So yes, suspension greatly improves not only traction but also saves you and your bike from harm!

dirtdad said:
How are they popping? i.e., where on the spoke are they breaking? That can tell you a lot about why they are breaking.

They pop at the motor every time so far not the nipple. Searching ES forums has revealed to me that default Clyte spokes aren't exactly the best out there. :roll: Unfortunately my commute is 50% off road mountain trail so it's pretty abusive. My bike race nerd friend (think lycra) told me to just get the motor 3x laced with good steel and I'd be fine (he was pretty surprised at how it was laced 1x "almost no flex at all", but he's used to racing/downhilling and not commuting in Beijing :lol: )... just waiting to have the money to do that and in the meantime are replacing as the pop at the local LBS for $1.00 a piece... *shrug*... whatever gets me to work and back.

3x is ok with a small hub, but with a big hub motor 1x is good. 3x will cause the spokes to connect to the rim at an angle that is too sharp.

Is there play or visible movement of the spokes where they go through the hub? This can happen with Crystalyte hubs even if the spokes are properly tensioned.

dirtdad said:
3x is ok with a small hub, but with a big hub motor 1x is good. 3x will cause the spokes to connect to the rim at an angle that is too sharp.

Define small hub... I got a rear 4011.

dirtdad said:
Is there play or visible movement of the spokes where they go through the hub? This can happen with Crystalyte hubs even if the spokes are properly tensioned.

There isn't really any play when I check by hand, but there are quite a few spokes that don't exactly sit flush against the motor holes. :?

I lowered my pressure this morning from 55psi to around 45psi in the hope that maybe that'll provide a little more cushion. Definitely noticed the extra peddle power needed.. wasn't bad, but noticeable. :|

I mean small hub like Shimano, etc.

I have heard that spoke washers can help the spokes sit more flush in the holes. The bigger the contact area the better.

I have never tried spoke washers myself so I can't speak from personal experience. DT Swiss sells spoke washers, but if you just get small thin washers at the hardware store that fit close to the spoke that should work. I got a bunch of #4 washers at the hardware store list time just in case.

Suspensions rule! On my Tricruiser, when I get the rear shock and spring just right, i can hit 3-4" drainage ditches and not get the sh*t knocked outa me! Ideal is 1-2 hz and figure spring rates at around 300 inch/lbs or less if U have the travel! U gotta have at least 3" or more at the shock! See the great suspension article in Speed Week on Trike suspensions! It is definitive! Good suspensions rule. Check out motocross! Rock on!
otherDoc

"My commute is 50% off road" As the mythbusters love to say, well there's your problem" Definitely get a full suspension bike if possible.

Back