MAC or BMC geared hub motor on 96 volts?

flathill

100 kW
Anyone run a geared hub motor on 24s (96 volts) in a 20" wheel? Will the speed just melt the gears?

Bad idea IMO, if reliability is your goal.

Fun as hell I bet, if you enjoy a good test to destruction.

Entirely possible to ride it lame enough to never break it. Short rides should be possible, even romping on it. Very short.

Running MAC/BMC above 60v is not recommended - the clutch will take a beating and seize. The motor tops out not too far above 500rpm; beyond that you can pour in as much power as you want, but it will go straight to heat.

You can program the controller to limit the current and use a CA V3 to ramp the throttle on getaway, but without some kind of external limitation, what you propose will probably destroy the motor on the first ride.

So - if you are looking for speed - this won't do it. But - if you want more power, use dual gear motors at conventional voltages - this splits the heat across two motors and gives gobs of torque.

I've run my 8t in 26" x2.4 tires on 60v or 15s lipo. As for amps, it seems to vary from controller and motor. I have 3 8ts running all 3 vary even with the same controller.

12fet with 4110s it needs higher amps and phase to maatch a 6 fet with less amps, battery and phase.

I would like to try a 10t on 16s LiPo. I have a 7t but won't try it till the cold goes south, way south!.

As for the 100v in a 20" wheel, I agree with others. It will destroy the clutch or the gears due to the heat. Also unless you are running a way to tame the throttle you won't be riding as much as sitting on your butt. As the voltage that throttle gets real touchy.

dan

As far as how many amps you can run, add a temp sensor, and then track the temps as it's put under load. Raise the max amps slowly a little more each day. When the stator gets to 95C /200F during the worst part of the ride, don't add any more amps past that level.

On my cargo bike I run a 12T Mac on 20s A123 (72volts fresh off the charger) in a 26" wheel.
I have programmed it to about 2000w max to save the gears and clutch key, pulls like a train, runs efficently, no issues after 1000km, and tops out at 46kmh.
Cheers

Bear in mind, he used the 12t. Which is what I'd recommend for "the hilly part". And maybe run more voltage but enough less amps to tame the start up.

20s lipo, maybe not, but 20s lifepo4 is pretty close to 60v nominal. Using the slow wind, you'd likely see the amps drop off very quick regardless of your theoretical max, and your amps would remain below 1500w, which can be tolerated by the macs if you are careful about watching the temps.

I would say 12t, and highish voltage for the win. But not more than 70v or so when fully charged. 15s or 16s for lipo? 18s if you stick to a lower amps controller?

But again, a spare motor in the garage would be a very good plan if you run the very highest volatage or wattage.

Cellman has had two different types of gears made for the Mac..green and black.. the black are the most durable :mrgreen:

Back