Battery theft

Lock

100 MW
Walked by a Schwinn ebike today and noticed TWO chains and locks.
One chain to the post and the other appeared to be locking the battery pack...
PBA only I suppose, but Lipo et al raises the bar. Heard one sad story about a mobility scoot where the batts were stolen... a year or more ago.

Not sure how easy it is to remove the batt pack on the Schwinn or other product but has anyone considered pack theft yet?
Just curious!
Tks
Lock

Attachments

• Schwinn.jpg
    Schwinn.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,337
Lock said:
has anyone considered pack theft yet?
Haven't seen any other ebikes to hit.... yet.

Hehe... I wouldn't cross the street for a PBA pack anymore...
but LiFePO4 packs right now are worth waaaaay more than the rest of the bike!

I always been more paranoid about losing the pack than the bike. My current project is working out a way to have the battery box connect to the seatpost rack so I can remove it when I need to leave it somewhere.

I may rethink my ez bake battery box plan and go for one of these instead. Not that much more than the cake pan set up and already non-conductive.

Im2100Yel.jpg

http://www.dscases.com/store/product.php?productid=5&cat=1&page=1

I've got mine in a metal version of that, and the cookie sheet inside. I bolted it to the bike with wingnuts, but now that I have a good messenger bag I just put the cookie sheet and battery in that when shopping for long. Most of my shopping is on the way to work, at 6 am, so then I just count on lowlifes being asleep, or drunk. I don't go into the store with a box with wires hanging out of it visible for sure!

I use two cables, one around the front wheel (motor) and frame, the other around the rear wheel and the LiPo4's. In reality you kinda have to know what you're doing to take the batteries off but someone with wire cutters and a box knife and a little courage could have it in less than a minute. The cable will at least slow them down. Part of helping to solve the theft problem is, IMHO, being as aggressive in keeping your bike as people are in stealilng it.

Other threads have mentioned taking it into the box stores with you and I've done that at Home Depot and Lowes, at least parked it near the entrance but inside. No one has ever said anything. At grocery stores or drug stores I park it where I can see it every minute or two and lock it every time.

Mike

Back