The USA really needs to convert to Metric!

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Eskimo   10 kW

10 kW

Re: The USA really needs to convert to Metric!

Post by Eskimo » Dec 11 2013 7:07am

My chinese springer fork came with SAE bolts, which amazed me. It was easy to make it tighter with just next bigger metric bolts, which were roughly 0,5mm bigger.
It"s identity question for you guys. Bit like losing your currency when converting to euro. Yeah, it"s kinda easier now, but still it feels something is now missing. Identity. Pride.
I have to re-write some of my lyrics if you do that conversion. "Down the highway 60 kilometres" is kinda missing that old country-flavour.
Member of a 10 000 mile club
http://helsinkiheroes.com/

izeman   100 GW

100 GW

Post by izeman » Dec 11 2013 7:28am

it's strange: though we have metric in europe, there are still some thing that's are produced in imperial. like all gas/water installation. it's all INCHES. who knows why???
and someone should convert this stupid 24h day to a 10h day. or 100h day. it's still A QUARTER or HALF an hour. even in a otherwise metric system.
but the USA are a bit shizoprenic themselfes: 1/8", 3in and an 1/8th. ok. but 3.125" wtf? ;) mixing up imperial and metric? *ggg*

Ykick   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Ykick » Dec 11 2013 7:53am

40 years ago grade school teacher said we'd be Metric in 10 years....
Ypedal wrote:The carpentry trade is what's keeping imperial alive, work with drywallers, framers, ductwork, etc, they all use inches.. a lot of times you learn this stuff from older people who have never used metric, and if you are the young newb on a job site, or with family tradespeople, you shut the hell up and do what you are told lol.... that's how metric is being held back.... old dogs and new tricks... ya know.
I was surprised working in Canada few years ago - fellas told me they buy 2x4's and most other lumber using inch/foot dimensions.

My friend from Scotland uses Miles when describing road trips in England.

Temperature is where I still have to "do the math" - 32F = 0C and roughly 2F for every 1C in either direction, yes? Yet, still don't find many Celcius thermometers in USA.

One of those things, I guess? Thank heaven we don't suffer Metric/SAE electrical values!
Talent must not be wasted.... Those who have talent must hug it, embrace it, nurture it and share it lest it be taken away from you as fast as it was loaned to you.

- Frank Sinatra

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » Dec 11 2013 7:53am

izeman wrote:and someone should convert this stupid 24h day to a 10h day. or 100h day. it's still A QUARTER or HALF an hour. even in a otherwise metric system.
but the USA are a bit shizoprenic themselfes: 1/8", 3in and an 1/8th. ok. but 3.125" wtf? ;) mixing up imperial and metric? *ggg*
Stupid? Hmmmmm The inadequacies of a base 10 numeric system. The Babylonians got it right.......... Too late to unpick that, though.....

At least we should use SI units on the Sphere............

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by jonescg » Dec 11 2013 9:00am

Miles wrote: At least we should use SI units on the Sphere............

Yes, but you'd want us to use bloody pi-radians or some nonsense instead of revs per minute :P . Meters per second could work out, but would take some getting used to.

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » Dec 11 2013 9:03am

:mrgreen:

jonescg   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by jonescg » Dec 11 2013 9:14am

Pleased to say Australia is 100.00% metric. Decimal currency, degrees Celcius, km/h, metres, litres and kilograms.

In about 1972 we went metric and never looked back. Some say we should have changed to right-drive to make cars cheaper - not a bad idea, but impossible to turn around now.

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » Dec 11 2013 9:27am

jonescg wrote:Pleased to say Australia is 100.00% metric.
Wish I could say the same about the UK :(

footloose   10 kW

10 kW

Post by footloose » Dec 11 2013 12:48pm

Miles wrote:
USA by contrast is probably about... 3/16 metric.
Possibly as high as 7/32, but I doubt it :wink:

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Dec 11 2013 1:07pm

Metric is way too easy, so be smarter and learn both. You just need to move to a country where metric is the standard, and then you'll be able to use both freely and have a good enough feel to covert freely between each.

izeman   100 GW

100 GW

Post by izeman » Dec 11 2013 2:00pm

why should i use imperical outside the usa?

Dlogic   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Dlogic » Dec 11 2013 2:14pm

Simple, logical, a bit Dlogic perhaps -lol- and easy to grasp. That makes it the worlds industrial standard.

I bet if someday aliens invade earth they´ll spare everyone who still uses anything else but the metric system. :mrgreen:

But still, metric rules. Yeah!

The fingers   100 GW

100 GW

Post by The fingers » Dec 11 2013 2:43pm

Metric threads seem to strip easier, or is it just me? :roll:
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

cal3thousand   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by cal3thousand » Dec 11 2013 3:05pm

The fingers wrote:Metric threads seem to strip easier, or is it just me? :roll:

It's because metric threads CAN be finer than SAE threads. usually SAE has 2 threads types: regular and coarse.
Get a Cycle Analyst and a Multimeter, you're still a noob if you don't have at least one of each.

Planning on posting questions or buying anything on this site? Put up your country (at minimum) on your profile. This is a worldwide forum and we haven't reached clairvoyance.

zzoing   10 kW

10 kW

Post by zzoing » Dec 11 2013 3:46pm

Miles wrote:
Uk is officially metric for commerce, companies have to provide both metric and imperial in almost all products, save perhaps roads and tv diameters and clothes.

all foods have grams and litres and all professionals that use measurements alot use metric.

it's nice to know how to convert one to the other fast, it's pretty easy.

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » Dec 11 2013 4:14pm

This is an interesting read. 1668, the start of the quest for a coherent system of measurement. I see that Wilkins thought that a base 8 numeric system would have been preferable but realised that it wasn't going to happen...
Attachments
CommentaryOnWilkinsOfMeasure.pdf
(228.98 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

teslanv   100 MW

100 MW

Post by teslanv » Dec 11 2013 6:46pm

Ypedal wrote:The carpentry trade is what's keeping imperial alive, work with drywallers, framers, ductwork, etc, they all use inches.. a lot of times you learn this stuff from older people who have never used metric, and if you are the young newb on a job site, or with family tradespeople, you shut the hell up and do what you are told lol.... that's how metric is being held back.... old dogs and new tricks... ya know.
I have worked in the construction and custom cabinet industry for years. The cabinet shop I worked at considered changing to metric at one time, because the software and CNC machines all run on metric, but the older shop builder's wouldn't have any of it. As a drafter/engineer It would have saved me so much effort to dimension in mm vs 1/32" you have NO idea!!!

So yes, we need to make all workers over the age of 40 retire, so all of us since the 80's who have metric education can just get on with the conversion.
DD Hubs, Batteries, Controllers & Custom Ebikes.
http://westcoastelectrics.com
West Coast Electric Cycles
Bellevue, WA
USA

footloose   10 kW

10 kW

Post by footloose » Dec 11 2013 6:47pm

teslanv wrote:... we need to make all workers over the age of 40 retire, so all of us since the 80's who have metric education can just get on with the conversion.
I'm up for it! What's the retirement package?

t3sla   10 kW

10 kW

Post by t3sla » Dec 11 2013 6:55pm

I've been pretty stubborn about never wanting to learn imperial since it really should have been passed out by now, the only thing I retain is 2.54cm to the Inch.

Fast forward to being in a room with a US engineer discussing product changes and my mind has to work double time.

Interesting because some of my friend that work with US companies are strictly metric. Just depends on the industry I guess, like others say trade would be the ones thwarting change, you even see this in AUS lots of oldies are half half with measurement
Endless Spirit.

full-throttle   10 MW

10 MW

Post by full-throttle » Dec 11 2013 7:07pm

Miles wrote:I see that Wilkins thought that a base 8 numeric system would have been preferable but realised that it wasn't going to happen...
Interesting.. That would make computers so much easier to learn :mrgreen:
If only we were born with 8 fingers.. :roll:

The fingers   100 GW

100 GW

Post by The fingers » Dec 11 2013 8:34pm

full-throttle wrote:
Miles wrote:I see that Wilkins thought that a base 8 numeric system would have been preferable but realised that it wasn't going to happen...
Interesting.. That would make computers so much easier to learn :mrgreen:
If only we were born with 8 fingers.. :roll:
Count again! Eight fingers, and two thumbs (for texting of course). :lol:
Black Schwinn High Sierra
Blue Schwinn Cruiser 5
Blue Schwinn High Plains
Black Fiore Cruzer 5: Amped Warp Drive 26" Front DD/SLA kit
http://ghostbikes.org/
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php
Hebrews 9:27

full-throttle   10 MW

10 MW

Post by full-throttle » Dec 11 2013 9:36pm

I must be a mutant then :mrgreen:

granolaboy   100 W

100 W

Post by granolaboy » Dec 12 2013 2:07pm

Ykick wrote:40 years ago grade school teacher said we'd be Metric in 10 years....
I was surprised working in Canada few years ago - fellas told me they buy 2x4's and most other lumber using inch/foot dimensions.

My friend from Scotland uses Miles when describing road trips in England.

Temperature is where I still have to "do the math" - 32F = 0C and roughly 2F for every 1C in either direction, yes? Yet, still don't find many Celcius thermometers in USA.

One of those things, I guess? Thank heaven we don't suffer Metric/SAE electrical values!
Yah...that's kinda screwed up eh? Sometimes finding a metric bolt is like pulling teeth...you'd think in Canada one could find metric hardware easily, but it's a real PITA
2010 EVT 168 @ 69v

dnmun   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dnmun » Dec 12 2013 6:56pm

then the guys who hang rock can boast how they hang 121.92cm X 243.84cm sheets of rock so it seems like they are doing something really bigger and more precise than it is.

t3sla   10 kW

10 kW

Post by t3sla » Dec 12 2013 11:14pm

[quote="dnmun"]then the guys who hang rock can boast how they hang 121.92cm X 243.84cm sheets of rock so it seems like they are doing something really bigger and more precise than it is.[/quote

regardless of what unit of measurement you are using, hanging rock or is impressive/back breaking
Endless Spirit.