UK Police hassle

gazmunch

100 mW
Evening all,

I just wondered whether anyone has ever had any hassle (in the UK) from the police regarding an illegal e-bike. I've got a 1000w hub-motored e-bike running on a 48v battery, and travel around main roads regularly at speeds just above 30mph. At the weekend, I was overtaken by a police car whilst I was travelling at 33mph, and as I hadn't noticed the police, I hadn't been clown-pedalling. I thought "uh-oh", but they just kept on going. Think I'll be getting a handlebar mirror...

So, have you ever had any hassle? If so, what happened?

Thanks.
G

Just have gearing that lets you pedal at 30mph (even if it's a bit fast). I coast downhill but pedal uphill or on the level. It looks passably legit, gives me a workout and does extend range. At 1000W I can't help not pedal - acceleration feels too slow otherwise...

I spend a lot of time on the UK forum,and I've never heard of anybody on an electric bicycle getting hassle, but most people pedal; however, if you ride an electric scooter without a number plate, you'll get stopped a lot.

No hassle but I reckon if too many riders start to ride recklessly then they will clamp down. I ride 25mph max and do moderate pedalling. Not only is it a good work out, it increases range and is safer at that speed. Cars don't expect bicycles to go 30mph and it causes them to act dangerously I found in London.

Just don't be too reckless and spoil it for the rest of us

We have cyclists that can do 35mph on our coast roads sometimes, bearing in mind the max speed on the island is 35mph then it would be a bit amiss for me get hassled doing 25ish,

We also don't seem to have that many diy ebikers with high power setups, plenty of commercial ebikes around though so flying under the radar right now, just how I like it :)

Kudos

hi mate,i have had no hassle at all riding my mid drive at 30 mph everywhere.i am based in sheffield so i have huge hills to deal with and get to some quite fast speeds on the downhill bits (45 to 60 mph).i try to pedal as much as possible so it does not look suspicious although it is really obvious its an e bike.

My rear light went out once, and I was pulled over at around 8:30pm in the dark.

From the car, they warned me about the risks of riding without a rear light, had a good glance over the bike; realised it was 'different to the others' and went on.

My latest build almost attracts attenion, so I am not sure if I would be as fortunate as the last encounter.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. 30mph on UK roads is asking for trouble. I suppose it depends on how briefed UK Police are these days on electric bikes. It is still quite a small thing at present. Just make sure the bike looks steathly :wink:

I have found that about 24mph is a good limit to get away with things, but if you have a big hub motor and wires every where then its just a matter of luck or unluck. Traffic police are probably more clued in, than normal patrol vehicles.

If you get stopped you just have to say the motor is 200watts. They will probably radio it in to find out the legalities, and you will have to lie through your arse to get away with it, by saying that you go faster with pedalling. The other thing to do is to have a hidden switch to flick that limits the motor to 15mph and 8 amps. :) also remember that over 48volts on batery is a no no, as far as I know.

Must say I'm a little concerned. Notts police do know what an ebike is, they had a fleet of them on loan. The officers that passed you may not of known the law then, but could well of found out as a consequence of your actions.

If you pass people on such a toy, some of these people will decide they want to know more. Other cyclists especially, but commuters too. Some of which will be Councillors and law enforcement. Your leaving breadcrumbs. You don't want other people deciding they want one. Each is a step closer to tighter regulation.

Turning the crank can only be a good thing. It keeps you warm and evens out body wear. People just think your well fit as you pass. Importantly it is the done thing. I wouldn't be impressed if everyone was wizzing around at double speed without pedaling. It would be close to the day our bikes are seized and insurance altering convictions laid upon us. I have had a mounted copper point at my bike and say "I want one of those" And I thought "Oh f**king Sh*t keep rolling" And that is as close as I want to get. If I were not pedaling his interest would certainly of been different.

At 33mph you would want some steep gearing. 52 front and 11 rear would still have your legs going nuts.

Here is what you do, get a sticker that says what ever the legal requirement is for Watts. Stick it on the motor. Black out, scratch, paint any incriminating evidence.
Next if all you do is power cycle and hardly ever pedal then get the hugest crank wheel you can install. Joker pedalling is good. Next dont do anything stupid, cutting vehicles off, doing wheelies down main street, blowing past stop signs, red lights, near misses of pedestrians in cross walks, drinking alcohol and bicycling.....yes I've been known drink n bicycle back in the day. Next you should always have all the required lighting, helmet if required. Be up to date on all the laws, because knowledge is power and if you can regurgitate statues/laws to the donut-eating copper thats even better because I have run into a few "power-hungry" pigs, you just have to know when to just agree with the pig and when to spout off law when hes writting you the ticket.

Speaking as a UK PO and past owner of electric bikes/Ev's I would say if you take the Pi55 then the legislation will inevitably be tightened up.
If I see anyone on an obviously (special ebike) ;) i would likely have sensible words of advice for them.
30mph without pedaling is clearly OTT. I'm no saint and have ridden tweaked bikes on the road but not at 30mph.

Personally I think the UK electric bike speed limit should be raised to 20mph which would be adequate for 95% of people inc me.
Motor power limit commensurate with that limit and average weight rider. So 400-500w or so.
If you can manage a bit faster than that with pedaling then that's fair game.

Cycling helmets mandatory for the higher speed E-Bikes would be a condition as well, seen too many head injuries over my career. :(

Guys, we've been rumbled! Scaaaaatter! :mrgreen:

I do agree, If you take the piss, then expect to get pulled.

I use a 500w bpm motor high torque that does 18-20mph for commuting. A bit of light exercise and the buzz at the same time.

Saying that I have a 2000+ watt motor, but i would only ever use that in the hills and woods away from mankind.

Ex wise PO here 8)

I agree that the UK law needs to be changed or at least have something like Germany has. A second class of ebike that requires some sort of licence but is still a bike eg 25mph 1,000w

Who's to say how much extra hard peddling you are doing when you are Joker Peddling?
But if something bad does happen, and the "trafffic reconstruction" team comes out, or the police cameras and measuring tapes come out, you better have a good lawyer or else say buh bye to your house, vehicle, investments etc.

peterperkins said:
Speaking as a UK PO and past owner of electric bikes/Ev's I would say if you take the Pi55 then the legislation will inevitably be tightened up.
If I see anyone on an obviously (special ebike) ;) i would likely have sensible words of advice for them.
30mph without pedaling is clearly OTT. I'm no saint and have ridden tweaked bikes on the road but not at 30mph.

Personally I think the UK electric bike speed limit should be raised to 20mph which would be adequate for 95% of people inc me.
Motor power limit commensurate with that limit and average weight rider. So 400-500w or so.
If you can manage a bit faster than that with pedaling then that's fair game.

Cycling helmets mandatory for the higher speed E-Bikes would be a condition as well, seen too many head injuries over my career. :(

I'm an expat (Brighton boy) but the same shite laws in Australia, 20 mph/32 kph is my speed setting one, on a three position switch. Comfortable cadence in the lowest gear, perfect. Just like you would ride unassisted with the wind or a perfect day on the flat. The difference is, when assisted being able to mantain that speed with a head wind, uphill or being dead shagged

Very good of a Police officer to make this opinion, its a shame the legislaters dont listen to a person of such high ranking and social standing

Helmets are mandetory in OZ, and your stupid if you dont wear one anyway werever you live, i feel naked without it

I guess they have to implement these pathetic/mean and archachic laws for the children and halfwhits who will fuk themselves and others up

Yes maybe a license/test/age limit and some sort of registration is the answer

Until then i'll run the gauntlet and hurt nobody, until some stupid rookie books me to look good to his chief

I prefer turning my legs to holding a throttle, it gives better center of gravity and keeps my legs from freezing. The effort I put in only takes me to 10mph unassisted. It is nothing really. Just as much as I please.

Controller choice is an issue. My bike just cares that I'm turning the crank, but my m8's looks at how fast you are turning to decide how much help to give. He can't get a free ride.

its a shame the legislaters dont listen to a person of such high ranking and social standing

Ha, in UK Police Officers severely lack any of that from any authorities, it's part of what makes the job a bit soul destroying. Just to add though, am not PO anymore as have started own business.

I completely agree that it is down to being sensible. Using the extra speed where it stands out is like saying please stop me. most of the time there are more important things for the police to do than stop ebikes, but if you start getting noticed too frequently then it's probably just a matter of time. If they get one it will be publicised and it has a chance to be like a line of playing cards getting knocked over.

Don't forget they can impound your bike while it is examined and tested if they are pretty sure it's not legal. That's likely to mean you will be without your bike for a long time, if not forever.

Be sensible, don't make yourself stand out- it's not just you that can be affected.

As stated previously, get into an accident and you may get a very nasty surprise, riding carefully doesn't stop a ped stepping out in front of you.
Also if you have insurance (also sometimes provided as a perk of your state cycling organization if you are a member) it will be voided on an illegal bike.

Anyone know what is the law if a car pulls out and cleans you up but your bike is illegal?
I know in Australia an illegal ebike is classed as riding an unregistered vehicle and unless you hold a full Motorbike licence also riding without a license.

I've had no issues as yet riding a 48v /1000w rear drive. I switched the chainset for a single 60T chainring (had to fit a wider bottom bracket) so I can still pedal at 28mph which probably helps look a little less obvious.
I have a mate on the force and he tells me he would be very surprised if any of his colleagues would look twice at it and they certainly wouldn't know about the 250W limit off hand.
get into a serious accident though and it might be a different matter...

Back