Putting a disc-brake on a rear-wheel 40XX?

swbluto

10 TW
I bought the 407 rear wheel from ebikes.ca. Is there anyway to adapt it to accept a disc brake? A short step-by-step summary would be nice if it can be done.

I think they sell an affordable thread on disc there. Like 15 bux or so. Two threaded covers should get it on there with the sprocket on the other side. One of my brushed 409's came with two threded covers. Sorting out the spacing is the hard part.

Did you use that expensive thread to six bolt adapter? Or did you screw it right in to the cover? I forget.

I used the screw on type.

Once upon a time, crystalyte supplied the thread on adapter( with a 6 hole screw pattern ) with a seperate rotor and caliper for a good price, now things have changed and what you get is a 6" disk with a press-on threaded collar all in one piece.. so you can't just simply use your stock bicycle's rotor anymore.. :evil:

I don't have my electric bike with me at the motor, so I don't really have much a reference beyond my not-so-perfect memory. But.. I'm still stumped. Would I have to order the...

"1/2 inch Threaded Disk Adapter with 44mm BCD" and the "6 Inch Disk Brake with Threaded Adapter" available at ebikes.ca? How would it connect on the motor? Would it connect on the rear-gear side? The other side? Does the "other side" have threads to connect the above adapter to? It doesn't seem like the PDF diagram depicts any. Would it have to be... *gasp*... glued on? :shock:

You need threads on both sides. If you don't have both, you need to buy and install a threaded cover for the left side.

vanilla ice said:
You need threads on both sides. If you don't have both, you need to buy and install a threaded cover for the left side.

Ok, so I'd have to order a threaded cover and replace the "other side" and also a "6 Inch Disk Brake with Threaded Adapter"? Would I also have to order the "1/2 inch Threaded Disk Adapter with 44mm BCD" or is that only for using your own special rotor?

Just the $15 disc and the $25 cover is all. Installing the cover may not be so easy, better search or ask how to do it. I've never done it myself. Then you gotta figure out the spacing for the disc/caliper/frame..

I just did the conversion.

You'll need the side cover, it's tricky to change, but overly complicated. Just a real tight fit.

You can order just the disk, which may fit your bike better, but sits so close to the disk, that finding a caliper to grab it will become a problem. its cheaper, but you'll spend more on the brake caliper to make it work. I went this rout and had an overly complex problem getting a caliper on the bike. http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5267

Or you can get the thick thread on adapter and use your a cheaper brake caliper, but fitting to the bike might be a challenge.

Back