Crystalyte X5 axle, who wants one?

Tench

100 kW
We have a UK ES member who is in need of a new spindle for his X5, if I took this on for him it would be wise to make a batch of them, but how many? I don't want to be stuck with a shed full or leave someone without that has a need.
So if you want an X5 spindle or a few let me know. When we know how many we can get a price put on the job.

Simon.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

i'm not sure what you mean by spindle .. but i'm guessing you mean axle...

is this the new generation x5 or old gen x5?

front or rear axle?

you may wana specify price too!

-steveo

I think the one I need to make is the new generation rear X5 motor, I will know more when it arrives in a day or 2.
I cant put a price on them yet but they will not be expensive, the cost will depend on how many we run off while the cnc is set up.

Tench said:
We have a UK ES member who is in need of a new spindle for his X5, if I took this on for him it would be wise to make a batch of them, but how many? I don't want to be stuck with a shed full or leave someone without that has a need.
So if you want an X5 spindle or a few let me know. When we know how many we can get a price put on the job.

Simon.

Sorry if this post is in the wrong place.

So in light of all the broken axles (spindles?) as of late, you are going to spec a better quality steel fully heat treated and hardened?

I am going to take advise on this, it will certainly be a much better quality steel than is used for the std one but I don't think hardened is the way to go, just very good quality, something like EN24T.

Allex said:
Good idea to advertise on Stealth topic. A bunch of guys who have 5403 there :)

doesnt stealth upgrade from the stock axles etc during assembly???
or spec a higher quality??
havent heard of any stealth owners w broken axles yet??
after all stealth wouldnt want a bunch of warranty problems..
if the axle broke on a $10K+ ebike i would be more the pissed!
i could be wrong though.. :?:

The axle is strong enough when mounted correctly, the Stealth torque arm design will be responcible for their good axle reliability record. The Stealth I had did not appear to have an Axle different from any other X5.
The problems arise from pushing them further than intended and/or peoples home brewed mountings not giving enough support.

Tench said:
The axle is strong enough when mounted correctly, the Stealth torque arm design will be responcible for their good axle reliability record. The Stealth I had did not appear to have an Axle different from any other X5.
The problems arise from pushing them further than intended and/or peoples home brewed mountings not giving enough support.

thanks for that ;)
but what about axle strength for big drops/jumps/hits
as opposed to twisting or torque load???
any problems there???
rix, dhpaulie & some others are riding their stealth hard offroad
magnet slip & rim damage seems to be the problems there???

Hi guys this is for me. He's making a slightly larger axle with larger bearings for a 5304 mk3 it will still have the 10mm flats for ease of installation. Hopefully with a machine thread m16 nut.
Thanks si

I didn't know there was a v3. Does anyone know the difference between these (3?) versions of HS3540?

I got an axle made for BigSi on here for his X5, it is the new type motor with the pressed stator so maybe the same as the new 40xx series? it is slightly different dimensionally to the 35xx type of motor I have.
Here are some pics. I have also increased the jounals to 3/4" dia (19.05mm) up from 17mm and made it out of EN24T steel. You wont break this in a hurry! Simon wanted the thread size increasing and I have also made the spindle 16mm dia by 10mm across flats where it goes through the torque arms for added indestructability :) at his request.

If your stuck for an Axle I could get more made, if there is demand I could make them in batches to get the cost down. This one made as a one off was £100 inc the new bearings posted.

P1000773_zps00f06424.jpg

P1000775_zps5aabfae9.jpg

P1000774_zps37888288.jpg

P1000776_zpsc73355ac.jpg

Hey im semi-interested in getting one maybe although don't put me down for a quote just yet :p Although the price is a little high, but for the effort in manufacturing it yourself I can see why its at that. I have a Crystalyte 5403 and ive been pondering upgrading the phase wires to 10guage if possible and also just to have one on spare. The pictures look very nice and looks very well made.

Cheers,
Ugrd

Tench, in your above post, it's still not clear to me if these are for 5300 series or the 5400 series. Tell me why no splines (knurling) in center of axle?
Whats the cost US dollars? Thanks

Your quite right to call it knurling as it is not splines, the inner bore of the stator is smooth, I guess the axle is knurled so that the machined dimensions are less critical? the peaks of the knurling just squash as the axle is pressed in, which is quite easy when you have felt how soft the std axle material is!!
I don't have all the drawings, I cant tell you the difference between one axle or another, but if you sent me one to copy its no problem, it wont be knurled, it will be machined to be a press in fit with the keyway on the correct side so it can be used!
This is only the 3rd one I have made, the first for an HS3540 in aluminium :shock: for my project 2 below, then one in Titanium :lol: for the HT3525 I am building now and this one in EN24T which BigSi tells me is a new type X5, I suspect this will be the same as the new 40xx series as it had a 38mm stator of the same dia. The older X series where a few mm larger on the stator dia.
I will save drawings of each one I do.

So any body saying can you make me an axle for :?: motor the answer is yes if you send me the old one even if its broken and tell me how you want it and what material, then we can arrive at a cost.
Then one day I may have all the details and be able to supply to order, so if your really stuck and don't have a local solution to your broken axle then we can get you rolling again.

cassschr1 said:
Tench, in your above post, it's still not clear to me if these are for 5300 series or the 5400 series. Tell me why no splines (knurling) in center of axle?
Whats the cost US dollars? Thanks

That would be helpful, also which wheel. Some of us have front wheel drives.

Before simon got in touch I was quoted 180plus vat... This is a cracking deal...

Hi Si, carrier is booked to collect your stator with new spindle fitted from me tomorrow (Monday) for a 24h delivery so you should have it back Tuesday.

Cheers Simon.

Too bad your'e not making HT axles... I would take one

Hi all. Received my new axle. Fantastic quality and far better than original. Great service. Price and axle. Thank you very much Simon. Regards....Simon haha

cal3thousand said:
Too bad your'e not making HT axles... I would take one

trevc2 said:
Also interested in one for the HT3525 :)

I have made a few of the rear wheel HT/HS axles, I do have a drawing for these so could make some if there are takers?!

I can also offer the 3/4" bearing upgrade on these too. There will be a small amount of dremel work to do on the side covers to clear the larger dia journal that you would need to do yourself if I am just supplying the Axle/bearings.

PM me if your interested?

Simon.

Back