Yamaha EBike

RevDon

100 W
From Auto Blog Green / Endgadget:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2008/08/03/yamaha-gets-in-on-the-ebike-phenomenon/

Don

Four amp hour, lithium! WOOOOO. Perfect for walking distance. Another usless PR bike. Like the soon to come PR cars.

Sure, but my bike cost $300 less, and goes 25 mph for 20 miles, no peadling. But I did have to put it together and have the nerve to send a lot of money to china for a lifepo4. I just expected more from a motorcycle company. Why bother with lithium if the range will be less than most lead battery packs, i thought.

8-1-08-pas_brace.jpg

Optibike like multiple speed gearing with a price tag (japan only) of just $1,150. :shock:

(that's not far from WalMart pricing)

Yamaha certainly has plenty of experience making sporty two-wheeled vehicles, as riders of the firm's R6 and R1 sportbikes can certainly attest. Now, though, it seems that the Tuning Fork company has decided to branch out into human power, specifically with a new hybrid bicycle. What makes this particular machine, knows as the PAS Brace, particularly interesting is how it manages the electrical assistance. First, an eight speed rear hub is used and allows shifting at any time, even from a dead stop. Depending on what gear the bike is in, a computer controls how much electrical power to send to the motor for assistance. Once top speed is reached, the system completely shuts down.

So they have a "speed limiter" built into the bike... I wonder how hard it would be to circumvent?

I wish they were an option to buy in America... it looks good for a start and then you could upgrade the battery and circumvent the controller. :twisted:

Remember the last time Yamaha built a bicycle?

I owned one of these! :p

moto6.jpg

I even remember the brochure:

motobike_cat.jpg

dogman said:
Sure, but my bike cost $300 less, and goes 25 mph for 20 miles, no peadling. But I did have to put it together and have the nerve to send a lot of money to china for a lifepo4. I just expected more from a motorcycle company. Why bother with lithium if the range will be less than most lead battery packs, i thought.

The bike is designed for the Japanese market and its regulations - you have to pedal. Comparisons with the situation/mentality in the US are pretty much irrelevant....

That comment would apply to most of my posts as well. I allways did talk too much. For Japan, that price may be very cheap.

safe said:
Remember the last time Yamaha built a bicycle?

I owned one of these!
moto6.jpg

I even remember the brochure:

motobike_cat.jpg

NO WAY! My neighbor down the street owned one of those, and I was so jealous at the time. To this day, when I see a full suspension mountain bike, I have a flashback to the Motobike.

Back