Why you should get a frame bag; em3ev vs. falconEV

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
[youtube]-NJTktQ1_q0[/youtube]

I made this video just for 'yalls.

interesting video, i do like the frame bag concept..

however, i cringe every time i see those tape covered lipo packs in a soft canvas bag...... a lot of guys doing that and i personally feel it's not adequate protection, there should be some rigid material protecting the packs from impact, it adds a bit of weight and bulk, but it's extra insurance that is well worth the effort ( also helps prevent puffing )

Agree with Y. I have eaten it too many times off roading not to have a riggid, insulated enclosure protecting my battery pack.

I don't do any off road, so i don't worry about it. If you set the strap tension correctly, the battery cannot move side-side much at all, and even if you dump the bike, the cranks, wheel, axle, or handlebars will hit the road before they hit the battery.

The soft pack in frame bag config has worked for a long time for me. But i don't do offroad. I've dumped a bike hardcore ( went flying off of it at 20mph ) and the frame bag didn't even get a scuff on it though.

Hogwash. You must protect your batteries better than that if you are using RC lico soft packs. The round cell packs may be protected enough by the bag, the padding on it is pretty good.

Just because you didn't scuff your bag on the rail tracks, doesn't mean you wont next time.

If you don't want to make actual boxes for each section of battery, it won't be hard to put some Masonite, coroplast or something just a bit more dent resistant on the sides of the pack. Just cut to fit, and slip them in to both sides.

Personally, I shudder to think of pouch lipo with the internal bag straps cutting into them. Hard case packs would be fine of course.

But other than that warning to users of flamey easily dinged RC packs, I give the EM3ev bag a huge thumbs up. Among other things, I got much better cold weather performance from my batteries this year. My old metal box stuck in the frame let the batteries get very cold, and it rattled. The frame bag, a proper one built for batteries, is really nice.

Just echoing what others have said. I put my hard packs in a plastic box, which I put in a metal cage, which I put in the bag.

Such a mesh might be a good lining for other bags. It gives many anchorage points and could have some corrugated plastic (sign board) sides or even alloy sheets cable tied too it. You would certainly need coroplast on the bottom for soft packs to sit on, and a layer between packs though. You couldn't just tie soft packs in place. Although I understand that is exactly what the velcro straps do in the commercial bags.

Few more pics on this thread: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56886#p856739

j3tch1u ("dogati") made a triangle pack for 18650's that is my new gold-standard for triangle packs. Of course for LiPo, I'd make hard-cases for each brick (since the corners seem to be the most vulnerable in a crash), thin layer of foam, and semi-hard plates on all sides:

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=51612#p763955
file.php

I like using a very tight coroplast box around either 10 ah or 5 ah of the 14s I have settled on.

Here is a pic of 10 ah in the EM3ev bag. A foam piece creates a platform to support the battery bottom, so it won't mash the corner of the box.48v 10 ah in the bag.jpg

Then a 5 ah box can just fit in the tip of the bag, with another foam support under it.

No doubt about it, the stout bags kick ass. It's only a problem if you put notoriously vulnerable stuff in there, like soft pack RC lico.

Back