More E-bikes found in NON-ebike media

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Re: More E-bikes found in NON-ebike media

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 7:44am

(Wiki:)
Mmegi is an English-language national newspaper in Botswana. Established in 1984, it is now published daily by Dikgang Publishing House in the capital, Gaborone. As of 2006, Mmegi is Botswana's only independent newspaper to be published daily.
No ranch for Khama from Palapye residents :
http://www.mmegi.bw/index.php?aid=74525 ... ebruary/19

Begins:
PALAPYE: The village Local Organising Committee (LOC) that was tasked with preparing gifts for the outgoing President Ian Khama has denied allegations that Palapye community has donated a ranch to the First Citizen.
Ends:
He explained that the fencing material that the community of Palapye bought for the President is worth P253, 981,65, and alongside they gave him gifts of four cows, four goats, two horses, three chickens and P30,000 cash.

The other gifts of an electric bicycle and a P25,000 cash came from Botswana Power Corporation and Botswana University of Science and Technology respectively.
8) 8)
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 8:09am

E-Bike Outlook: More Milestones to Come: :mrgreen:
http://onlinemagazine.bike-eu.com/nr1#! ... es-to-come

Starts:
When taking Europe’s biggest e-bike market (Germany) as an indicator of where the e-bike market is heading, then things look very bright. In the first half of 2017 e-bike sales in Germany has increased by 12% while in almost all European markets double-digit growth is recorded. Next to the growing popularity of e-bikes as well as e-MTB’s, sales is also spurred by government’s subsidies that encourage a shift in mobility choices.
8)

Includes:
In the UK Transport minister Jesse Norman said an e-bike subsidy could happen for bringing electric bicycles in line with electric cars for which the UK government offers purchase subsidies up to about €5,000 per vehicle. The Bicycle Association of Great Britain (BAGB) is pushing for such an e-bike subsidy scheme as the UK government states that Low-emission vehicles are eligible for it. Belgium is also encouraging commuting by bicycle. Employers can reward staff for commuting by bike, paying them €0.23 for every kilometre they cycle. Hundreds of thousands of e-bike riders in Belgium are participating in this ‘cycle to work’ tax scheme. This program has been extended to speed-pedelecs recently.
Ends:
Such subsidy schemes as well as electric mountain bikes are pushing the markets in Europe. In Germany the sale of Haibike and Ghost-branded e-MTB’s has increased with 19% in the first half of 2017. For the whole of 2017 Germany’s e-bike market is expected to grow again with double digit numbers to over 700,000 units. By the end of 2020 sales at Europe’s biggest e-bike markets is likely to cross the one million units mark.
:D

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 8:26am

(They say:)
eWorldtrade is a comprehensive B2B marketplace having over 10 years of expertise in digital branding and web development. The B2B Marketplace currently caters over 500,000 registered users and briskly expanding its database of manufacturers, suppliers and companies from all over the world.
Want to purchase electric foldable bicycles:
https://www.eworldtrade.com/importers/w ... ric/97759/
We want to buy electric foldable bikes: -The motorised bicycle can only be powered by an electric source; -The maxim um power output of the motorised bicycle must not exceed 200 watts; -The motor power of the motorised bicycle can only cut in when the rider starts to pedal; and -The motor power of the motorised bicycle must be cut off when it reaches 25km/h or when the rider stops pedalling.

Buying Frequency: Quarterly
Purchaser: Douglas Chow
Country Singapore
:mrgreen:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 9:38am

Huh. ESB "Search found 0 matches: GoTube"?

7 strange vehicles to get you from A to B:
https://newatlas.com/seven-strange-vehicles/53009/

Includes:Scooters go tubular
Folding electric scooters have proven particularly fertile ground for innovative ideas, and the GoTube is certainly one of the smoother solutions we've come across. It can have you zipping across campus at up to 10 mph (16 km/h) one minute, and then strolling between classes with what looks like a tube of architectural blueprints the next.

With a range of 7.5 mi (12 km) and an ability to tackle inclines of 10 degrees, the GoTube obliterated its Kickstarter goal after launching in December 2016, although a cursory glance at the comments there suggests that there is quite a bit of discontent among backers. So buyer beware.

:)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 12:03pm

Hehe... "Ebike-Related" articles now labeled as "Smarter Living"... :lol:

E-MTB vs MTB: which is best for a bikepacking adventure?
("T3 gears up with a Wilier e806TRB eMTB and Sonder Broken Road before heading to Dartmoor to find out"):
https://www.t3.com/features/emtb-vs-mtb

Starts:
Is an ebike better than a regular pedal-powered mountain bike for a big bikepacking race? To find out, Deputy Editor of T3 magazine Nick Odantzis took a Wilier e806TRB eMTB, while MBUK staffer Matt Orton straddled a Sonder Broken Road to find out.

Using a combination of roads and bridleways, the pair will be travelling 60 miles across Dartmoor in a day. There’s an element of danger, so we’re both carrying a Spot GEN3 tracker to call in the emergency services, if need be. Luckily, Matt looks like a bear so we don’t need to worry about wolves.
"MBUK staffer Matt Orton " who lives somewhere outside of any 21st-century urban world apparently... :lol:

And BTW... That's "Sondor" (without the "S"...):
https://www.alpkit.com/sonder/sonder-broken-road

Article ends:
E-MTB vs MTB: Matt concludes

I’m all for ebikes and I think they’re brilliant, to a point, but they’re overkill for bikepacking. This ride wasn’t about speed, it was about the journey; the destination is an afterthought. Sure, I’ll get one when I’m old and my knees are knackered. Until then, I’ll stick to the tried and tested way.
"the tried and tested way"... Spoken by the truly ignorant (who doesn't yet suffer from EA... "Ebike-Addiction".) :lol:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 4:41pm

City A.M. is a free, business-focused newspaper distributed in and around London, England. Its certified distribution was 90,911 copies a day in December 2016, according to statistics compiled by the ABC, a drop of 7.93% year-on-year.
Leave the skis at home. Here's how to tackle the French Alps by bicycle:
http://www.cityam.com/280889/leave-skis ... ps-bicycle

Starts:
Purple-faced and puffing like a steam train, I’m pedalling up what seems to be the longest and steepest hill I’ve ever attempted and my lycra-clad cycling buddies are miles ahead of me.

Cowbells jangle as a herd of curious Friesians peer over a wall, trying to find the source of the grunting. The stunning limestone peaks of the Haute Savoie are lost on me as I focus on the next bend, praying for a flat stretch. I have long since run out of lowest gears and my thighs are burning hotter than the sun.

I’m in the Northern French Alps on a cycling holiday with Bike Weekender, a company that offers short breaks in the stunning Aravis mountain range. For reasons that now escape me, I am trying to ascend the Col de la Colombiere, altitude 1,530m. Yellow signs helpfully show that it’s a relentless, eye-bulging eight per cent climb.
:lol:

Includes:
I enjoy a relaxing ride around the lake’s cycle route, stopping for a savoyard salad and glass of red halfway around. This is more like the cycling holiday I had in mind. I even attempt part of the 2013 Tour de France route on the west side of the lake, albeit at a more leisurely pace.

My relaxed approach pays off on the final day as my colleagues plan to tackle the punishing Col de l’Arpettaz. It’s a 14.8km hors categorie climb (the French designation for the most difficult climb there is), gaining 1,165m in elevation at an average gradient of eight per cent.
... and:
I am ready to make my excuses when Bike Weekender suggests another crafty tactic for beating my super-competitive colleagues. An e-bike.

E-bikes are gaining popularity in the Alps, as they enable less experienced cyclists to enjoy the toughest routes with electric power-assisted pedalling. It’s especially popular among couples, as they enable one rider to more easily keep pace with another, regardless of any differences in skill or fitness level.

On the e-bike I am positively smug.
“Who’s ready for another 50km before tea?” I ask.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 8:52pm

Hehe... and ANOTHER Win for Cake and their CALK ebike... here as "high performance"... :) (Really not sure watt defines performance as "high"?)

Electric Vehicles Research provides you with a free daily update of the latest industry developments. Launched in May 2010, this free portal covers progress of electric vehicles and the enabling technologies in all its forms. Electric Vehicles Research is hosted and written by IDTechEx, a leading analyst and event organiser on electric vehicle technologies and markets.
High performance electric off-road motorbikes:
https://www.electricvehiclesresearch.co ... motorbikes

(Maybe "high performance" means sells well.) :lol: Hehe... A "surfy experience". :lol:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 9:05pm

Hehe... ESB "Search found 52 matches: Prodeco" (in message Subject...) Mighta missed this PR from ProdecoTech from August, 2016...

ProdecoTech #1 American Built Electric Bike is First to Launch at DICK'S Sporting Goods:
http://www.marketwired.com/press-releas ... 148143.htm

Includes:
In addition to health, fitness, and eco-friendly enthusiasts, ProdecoTech electric bicycles are growing extremely popular and owned by some of Hollywood's elite and best-known celebrities, including Brad Pitt, Val Kilmer, Rosie O'Donnell, Jennifer Lawrence, P. Diddy and many more. In fact, P. Diddy was seen at Burning Man last year riding his ProdecoTech Phantom XRS, and in 2014 riding the Outlaw SE.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 19 2018 9:26pm

BikePortland.org is an independent daily news source that covers the Portland bike scene. Through our journalism, events, and direct advocacy we inform and inspire thousands of people around the world every day.

The site was founded in July 2005 by Jonathan Maus. Jonathan remains editor and publisher. Contact him – jonathan(at)bikeportland.org

BikePortland is run by Pedaltown Media, Inc., a corporation registered in the state of Oregon. The site is supported by a mix of advertising and reader support.
Chris Billman is the only Oregonian with a disabled parking decal for his bicycle:
https://bikeportland.org/2018/02/19/chr ... cle-268675

Starts:
61-year-old Forest Grove resident Chris Billman got a new lease on life when he discovered cycling.

He was born with scoliosis and suffers from a litany of degenerative issues including spinal stenosis and liver disease. He needs a cane to walk, and when he does, his legs can go numb.
Includes:
The bikes Billman rides are recumbents with electric-assist motors to make pedaling easier.

:D

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 8:10am

Part one: The Budget speech:
http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?i ... hyear=2018

Starts:
Treasury Minister Alfred Cannan MHK gave this speech during Tynwald:

‘Mr President. Last year I set out a budget of optimism, focus, support and a budget that defined and laid out the challenges ahead of us.
Tynwald (Manx: Tinvaal), or more formally, the High Court of Tynwald (Manx: Ard-whaiyl Tinvaal) or Tynwald Court is the legislature of the Isle of Man.
... and:
The Isle of Man (Manx: Ellan Vannin [ˈɛlʲən ˈvanɪn]), also known simply as Mann (/mæn/; Manx: Mannin [ˈmanɪn]), is a self-governing British Crown dependency in the Irish Sea between the islands of Great Britain and Ireland. The head of state is Queen Elizabeth II, who holds the title of Lord of Mann and is represented by a Lieutenant Governor. Defence is the responsibility of the United Kingdom.

Ranked by the World Bank as the 5th richest nation in the world by GDP per capita, the largest sectors are insurance and eGaming with 17% of GNP each, followed by ICT and banking with 9% each.
Includes:
‘Last year I introduced a new benefit in kind exemption for bicycles when the bicycle is used to cycle to work. Today I would like to extend that exemption to include electric bicycles ensuring that this benefit extends to a broader reach in our society. I would urge business to look carefully at promoting the benefits of this scheme to their employees.

‘Of course I recognise that these measures may increase the sightings of MAMIL’s on our Island roads – please give these creatures the space and time they need to adjust to your presence!! In fact more seriously, we recognise the importance of an active lifestyle both to improved health and improved productivity and whether in LYCRA or a suit – walking or cycling, we can all share the space.
Hehe... "MAMIL's"... :lol: Maybe with bettery-electric power assist... not so much. (In future newz: Ebike use decimates lycra industry.) :lol:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 9:10am

Inc42 is an Indian media and information platform producing data-backed news and analysis on all the vital elements at the intersection of technology, startups and business. No fluff, only real stuff.
To Solve Bengaluru's Traffic Problems, BMRCL Teams Up With Metro Bikes To Offer Bike Rentals:
https://inc42.com/buzz/bengaluru-metro-bike/

Starts:
In a bid to address last mile connectivity issues in Bengaluru, Bengaluru Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (BMRCL) and Metro Bikes, a smart mobility solutions startup, have tied up to provide bike rentals at 36 metro stations in the city.

Currently, Metro Bikes offers around 65 to 100 bikes at 36 out of 42 metro stations across Bengaluru, which people can utilise for their conveyance. The riders are charged INR 5 per km and INR 0.5 per minute, including fuel charges.
Includes:
Apart from motorbikes, the operator is also looking to onboard bicycles. Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP), on the other hand, is in the process of supplying 200 electric bikes for last-mile connectivity.
8)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 10:33am

Hehe... I guess not "bikes"... but neither are "trikes"... :wink:

The Press of Atlantic City is the fourth-largest daily newspaper in New Jersey, United States. Originally based in Pleasantville, it is the primary newspaper for southeastern New Jersey and the Jersey Shore. The Newspaper Designated Market runs from Waretown in Southern Ocean county (exit 69 on the Garden State Parkway) down to Cape May (exit 0). It also reaches west to Cumberland County, New Jersey. The paper has a combined print and digital daily circulation of 72,846 and a Sunday circulation of 95,626.
Watch electric unicycles on the Ocean City boardwalk:
http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/life ... b1a42.html

Starts:
Mik and Olga Kvitchko, of Beach Haven, took advantage of a balmy Presidents Day afternoon Monday to ride their Solowheel electric unicycles on the Ocean City Boardwalk.

Raisedeyebrows   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Raisedeyebrows » Feb 20 2018 1:55pm

"ProdecoTech #1 American Built Electric Bike is First to Launch at DICK'S Sporting Goods"

Watch the quality level drop like a rock due to Dicks using their volume buying power to demand a low wholesale price point?

"P. Diddy was seen at Burning Man last year riding his ProdecoTech Phantom XRS, and in 2014 riding the Outlaw SE."

Pop Culture starz photographed riding your bikes? Advertising money can't buy right there, well maybe they could buy it but it wouldn't be cheap. I barely know who P-Diddy is myself but that is the kind of publicity that will promote ebikes alright, popular culture is big big big in America.
Yuba Mundo w/BBSHD
Specialized Hard Rock w/9c clone, statoraid, hubsink
Trek Fuel 90 w/BBSHD
Above all run on 14s4p 52v li-ion
Ecobike folder 36v
Currie Flyer scooter 24v on 24ah of SLA

Every trip made with electric bike is one less car trip, saves money, no toxic fumes, less noise, less impact on roads.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 2:22pm

^^ Hehe... It was the wealthy/"famous" watt started buying those new horseless carriage thingees first...(Magnus Volk building one for the Sultan of Turkey comes to mind... ) :mrgreen:

How Smoove Hybrid Smart Bikes Are Taking Over Paris: :)
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/20/sm ... ing-paris/

Starts:
The global bike-sharing company Smoove has shown impressive international growth, and currently has a global fleet of over 30.000 connected electric bicycles (e-bikes) across the planet. The new project is taking Smoove into the old French Capital of Paris for its brand-new smart bikes project.
8)

... w/a YT vid re Smoove in Moscow...

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 2:35pm

E-Bike Motor Market To Grow To Multi Billion Business: :mrgreen:
http://www.bike-eu.com/sales-trends/nie ... s-10132954

Ends:
The 229 paged report costs USD 4,900 (3,960 euro) for a single user license.
:shock:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 2:59pm

The Sunshine Coast Daily is the only daily newspaper specifically serving the Sunshine Coast region of Queensland, Australia.
... and:
Sunshine Coast is a peri-urban area and the third most populated area in the Australian state of Queensland. Located 100 km (62 mi) north of the state capital Brisbane in South East Queensland on the Pacific Ocean coastline, its urban area spans approximately 60 km (37 mi) of coastline and hinterland from Pelican Waters to Tewantin. The estimated urban population of Sunshine Coast as at June 2015 was 302,122, making it the 9th most populous in the country.
Coast fuel prices vary 25c a litre in same street:
https://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/n ... t/3340477/

Starts:
THE Shell Coles Express service stations that bookend one of the Coast's busiest roads have proved the most expensive places in their street to fill up.

Savings of up to 25c a litre could be found on Tuesday by driving less than 1.5km up Nicklin Way from the Shell at Battery Hill to the Puma service station in Currimundi.
Ends:
Bicycle Queensland CEO Anne Savage seized the opportunity to spruik the financial and health benefits of riding pushbikes instead of driving.

"We'd urge all Queenslanders to protest petrol price rises by taking up cycling,” Ms Savage said.

"For anyone who is fed up with paying high prices for petrol and car parking, but has a little further to travel, electric bikes are on the rise, and help new riders easily overcome distance and hill climbs.”

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 4:54pm

ESB "Search found 11 matches: Archos"... again:

Android Authority is the largest publication dedicated to the world's most widely used operating system. Every month, we influence an audience of 50 million professionals in the tech industry, technology enthusiasts, and savvy millennials.
Archos just announced an Android-powered electric scooter:
https://www.androidauthority.com/archos ... er-839160/

Starts:
French company Archos will release an electric scooter with an Android phone built into the handlebars.
Connected to the motor, the phone will feature software that allows the user to see and control the scooter’s functions.
The phone is no powerhouse, but is 3G-connected and enables data while on the move.

Ends:
Archos will be showing the device off at MWC 2018 and promises that units will go on sale direct from the company in April for €399 (about $494). The price will rise by €100 when the product hits traditional store shelves in the summer.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 8:09pm

News re that new scoot from Archos getting BIGGER... :)

Engadget is a multilingual technology blog network with daily coverage of gadgets and consumer electronics. Engadget currently operates a total of ten blogs—four written in English and six international versions with independent editorial staff. Engadget has in the past ranked among the top five in the "Technorati top 100" and was noted in Time for being one of the best blogs of 2010. It has been operated by AOL since October 2005.
Archos' electric scooter taps Android for directions
("Get directions while you two-wheel around town."):
https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/20/arc ... d-scooter/

"enough for a 15.5-mile range and a 15.5MPH top speed"...

:roll: :lol:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 20 2018 9:08pm

Hehe... ESB "Search found 10 matches: lagos"... but not THIS news from Lagos...

Based in Nairobi, Kenya, TechMoran is the destination for Africa's breaking technology news, disruptive exclusives, and hot commentaries on new technologies and startup entrepreneurship. The tech media company covers Africa's disruptive tech scene, with a bias to young innovative startup entrepreneurs in high school, ...
(Mmmm... "disruptive tech"... Mmmmm...) :lol:

French electric bike-sharing service Smoove to launch in Lagos, Nigeria:
https://techmoran.com/french-electric-b ... s-nigeria/

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 21 2018 1:43am

Huh. ESB "Search found 0 matches: Nireeka"...

Nireeka's sexy carbon-framed e-bikes would be impressive at twice the price:
https://newatlas.com/nireeka-affordable ... ike/53497/

Starts:
We've seen some of Iranian designer Mohammed "Max" Shojaie's work before, with his creatively conceived Ostoure two-wheel-drive motorcycle design from back in 2010. That one never made it past the CAD render stage, but now, with two of his brothers and a Dubai-born partner, Shojaie has turned his hand to a real-world e-bike project. And it looks like a belter.
Includes:
The sexy-looking carbon frame weighs just 1.5 kg (3.3 lb) and the entire bike comes in at "less than 15.5 kg (35 lb)." That's pretty remarkable for something this fully featured, but it becomes just about outrageous when you see the price tag.
... and:
The base model Nireeka Street will cost you US$999 including $200 worth of worldwide shipping. That gets you a 250-watt Bafang hub motor and a 36-volt, 7.2-Ah lithium-ion battery, a top electric speed of 25 km/h (15 mph) and a range around 55 km (35 mi).
AND:
And if you're prepared to pay $1,199, you can get the Homie version, with a 500-watt motor, a 36-volt 10.8-Ah LG battery for a range of 80 km (50 mi) and a top speed of 35 km/h (22 mph). The Homie version also gets you a speed charger, an air shock at the rear, a twist throttle, hydraulic brakes and a built in Cube lighting system.
AND a YT vid...

... and Surprise! It's a Indiegogo thingee!
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/nire ... -bicycle#/

To date:
$61,610 USD raised by 97 backers
176% of $35,000 flexible goal

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 21 2018 6:37am

Hehe... ESB "Search found 31 matches: Ampler"...

The Verge is an American technology news and media network operated by Vox Media. It has offices in Manhattan, New York City. The network publishes news items, long-form feature stories, product reviews about ebikes and stuff, podcasts, and an entertainment show.
Ampler returns with three improved e-bikes for daily commuters
("The Indiegogo darling is back after shipping 800 handmade bikes to 21 countries"):
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/21/1703 ... price-date

Starts:
Ampler Bikes is the plucky electric bicycle startup founded by a trio of childhood friends in Estonia. The company has shipped more than 800 smart bikes to 21 countries since the conclusion of its successful Indiegogo campaign in 2016, according to Ampler’s founders. Now they’re back with three new pedal-assist models that incorporate customer feedback to improve the overall commuting experience. The Curt, Stout, and Stellar models are all handmade in Tallinn with an estimated range of 70 km (43.5 miles) on a single charge from a integrated 336Wh battery and 250 watt rear motor.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 21 2018 8:01am

Mummy's Gone a Cycle
(She says:)
I started the mummysgoneacycle blog in 2016 with no real idea as to why I was starting it. I knew nothing about blogging or creating a website but I was opinionated and passionate about sharing my love of cycling.

As the blog grows it takes up more and more time.
Appearances Matter:
http://www.mummysgoneacycle.com/appearances-matter/

Starts:
I have a particular interest in getting more women and girls cycling and I have written before about why I believe there are not more women cycling. This is a complex subject and there are many reasons why there are not more women on bikes. In this post I am only considering one reason and one form of cycling – appearance and cycle commuting.
Includes:
Rightly or wrongly, the reality is that women tend to be more concerned about appearance than men. Rightly or wrongly, this is one very real barrier to cycling for many women, especially when it comes to cycling to work.

I gave this some thought during my recent loan of an e-bike from Edinburgh Bike Cooperative. I wondered if e-bikes might be a solution to this which could work for some. So, I decided to conduct an experiment.

... and:
After this experience, I would definitely consider an e-bike for commuting when I go back to work. There were simply no appearance logistics to consider. I did not have to take any clothes, shoes or anything else to change my appearance when I arrived. I just got off the bike and got on with it. I did have to carry a small rucksack on the bike which was a bit irritating, but that was simply as it was not my bike. If it were, I would have decent capacity panniers on it.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 21 2018 10:21am

The Brooklyn Paper newspaper and BrooklynPaper.com are the leading news media in Brooklyn, New York. Our newspaper covers 18 neighborhoods in six editions.
February 21, 2018 / Brooklyn news / Police Blotter / Fort Greene
https://www.brooklynpaper.com/stories/4 ... 23_bk.html

Includes:
Bye-cycle

Some jerk rode off with a guy’s electric bicycle parked on Myrtle Avenue on Feb. 13, police said.

The worker parked his pricey black-and-red electric bicycle unlocked on the street near Washington Avenue at about 10:20 pm, and when he went to get it 20 minutes later, it was gone, according to authorities.
:evil:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 21 2018 10:38am

The Peninsula Daily News is a daily newspaper printed Sundays through Fridays, covering the northern Olympic Peninsula in the state of Washington, United States.

The paper's main offices are in Port Angeles, with news offices in Port Townsend and Sequim. It publishes separate editions for Clallam County and Jefferson County.
... and:
Port Townsend is a city in Jefferson County, Washington, United States. The population was 9,113 at the 2010 census, an increase of 9.3% over the 2000 census. It is the county seat and only incorporated city of Jefferson County.
New Port Townsend school to teach bicycle maintenance in first for region:
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/ ... or-region/

Starts:
PORT TOWNSEND — It takes more than air in the tires to keep a bicycle on the road or trail. A new school being launched Thursday also aims to teach cyclists how to care for and maintain their rides.

A group of cycle enthusiasts have founded the Port Townsend Cycle School. It will be the only school that teaches bicycle maintenance in the region, founders say.
Includes:
”E-bikes are part of the picture, as is frame building, wheel building, arts, restoration, and working with materials like wood and bamboo. There’s a wide spectrum of possibilities here.”
8)

... and:
“When you see the growth in the interest in cycling, particularly in the electric bike field, this school is on target. None of the other institutes that we are aware of do much with electric bikes.”

... and:
“It might have an electric motor, but underneath it all, it’s still a bike,” Kolff noted.

... AND:
“From repairing flats to fixing chains, there are still a lot people who want to know how to fix and maintain their electric bikes.”
:wink:

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Feb 21 2018 10:49am

Townley: The biggest threat to the independent bike shop is a reluctance to evolve:
https://cyclingindustry.news/townley-th ... to-evolve/

Starts:
This past week I was invited to deliver the breakfast keynote address at the CABDA Expo in Schaumburg, Illinois, a suburb of Chicago. The Chicago Area Bicycle Dealers Association (CABDA) has a long and rich history that once included a major American bicycle business trade show, which ended with the association’s bankruptcy in the early 1990s.
FUN ARTICLE includes:
With this said, the group I work with, Light Transportation Solution Specialists is advising clients and potential clients to immediately investigate bringing their product sourcing into the U.S. Our current situation analysis indicates that this is the least risk and is currently a win-win scenario, because even if the current international trade situation abates or totally goes away, the shifting economics of importing, including increasing raw material, component, labour and transportation costs will still result in some products, like bicycles having a landed cost from Asia equal to the landed cost for the same products made in the U.S.

Add to this the interest and influx of primarily European OEM component automobile brands in the electric bicycle business in the U.S, and the surge in self-service bicycle rental, also referred to as dockless bicycle ride share brands in the U.S. market.

European OEM component automobile brands like Bosch, who was in attendance as a displaying supplier at the 2018 CABDA Expo, are major suppliers of electric drive systems for ebikes. Bosch is also a $55 billion company, meaning it is by itself almost ten-times larger in revenue than the whole of the American bicycle business – and there is Continental, PON and a whole list of other European and Asian electric drive system OEMs who are circling around the U.S. bicycle business, listening and learning.