2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
max3d   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 08 2020 2:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by max3d » Oct 12 2020 3:48pm

What's the name of the plug for the battery connector in this image?

I need to solder a female version to my battery pack as that is outfitted with a Deans T plug atm
wires.png
wires.png (149.47 KiB) Viewed 1284 times

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 335
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Oct 12 2020 5:21pm

Bullit connector

AngryBob   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 367
Joined: Jul 10 2019 4:37pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by AngryBob » Oct 12 2020 6:02pm

Health and Fitness, I want you to read this AGAIN:

As for the rolling backwards issue, occasionally when I rolled it backwards it wouldn't turn. A little rollforward then back and it would usually go. When I was building the wheel in the stand it would never roll backwards. Now after 720km it rolls backwards every time. The new on I'm building is in the trueing stand right now and turns both ways no problem.

Now, you posted the above, as evidence that the problem has been solved? SERIOUSLY???????

One motor locked up several times, did it continuously when building the wheel, and it has run OK for less than 500 miles. A second one has covered maybe 50 feet in the truing stand.

The following data is from this thread as it originally existed. Significant information has since been deleted.

Of the TWELVE (12) seperate incidents of shattered gears, several reported locking up when rolling backwards ONCE, several reported this happening several times, a few reported it NEVER locked up, and at least one was adamant he never rolled it backwards AT ALL, being aware of the problem.
Repeat and emphasize that the gears shattered under ALL of these reported conditions.

At least one shattered his gears in less than 200 miles, most made it over 500 miles before shattering gears, at least one made it over 1000 miles before shattering his gears, and the highest mileage I saw reported was 1500.

The failure rate is estimated at somewhere between 30% and 50%, that means quite a few people never experience the catastrophic failure. These failures happened after Xiongda reported changing the grease, they failed after Xiongda reported re-designing the clutch, they failed after Xiongda reported changing the gear material. This last directly evidenced by one user who received a replacement gear set clearly of a different colored material. These new gears did not last over 200 miles.

If anyone finds these failure rates acceptable, then by all means, buy and enjoy. If you want to believe those who profit by selling and promoting this unit, they will certainly enjoy taking your money. Heck, one vendor will even say you can run 1500 watts thru it, so go ahead. The same vendor advertised this 250W motor as a 750W motor, so sure, crank up that power. My advice would be to make sure you got bus fare in your pocket when you do, or really good walking shoes.
"Not being treated like a dumb dick is one of the incentives we have to become less stupid." - Balmorhea.

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 11429
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by markz » Oct 12 2020 6:50pm

I wouldnt trust those generic connectors, they are the cheapest they can find. Hit up your local hobby store and buy some connector pairs, I like to use XT90's but XT60's would work, 4,5,6,7,8mm bullets would work. Any GENUINE connector would work thats rated for the controller/battery.

edit - FYI there have been instances of the cheap generic connectors melting. They are normally the cheapest they can source for a higher profit margin.

max3d wrote:
Oct 12 2020 3:48pm
What's the name of the plug for the battery connector in this image?

I need to solder a female version to my battery pack as that is outfitted with a Deans T plug atm
wires.png
Last edited by markz on Oct 13 2020 3:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 335
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Oct 13 2020 12:40am

Bobby, surely you must work at XD to know exactly how many motors have been made and how many have shown problems?
If not, where is the logic in 12 broken gears equals 50% of the production?

My clients must be extremely lucky then, with 0% failure rate in 5 years...

ebike4healthandfitness   100 mW

100 mW
Posts: 41
Joined: May 19 2012 10:20pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by ebike4healthandfitness » Oct 13 2020 2:07am

AngryBob wrote:
Oct 12 2020 6:02pm
Health and Fitness, I want you to read this AGAIN:

As for the rolling backwards issue, occasionally when I rolled it backwards it wouldn't turn. A little rollforward then back and it would usually go. When I was building the wheel in the stand it would never roll backwards. Now after 720km it rolls backwards every time. The new on I'm building is in the trueing stand right now and turns both ways no problem.

Now, you posted the above, as evidence that the problem has been solved? SERIOUSLY???????

One motor locked up several times, did it continuously when building the wheel, and it has run OK for less than 500 miles. A second one has covered maybe 50 feet in the truing stand.
I assumed the first hub was an older pre-clutch fix hub version.

The second hub (that spun backwards freely) was a new version hub with the clutch fix.

......but looking back on an older post I see the first hub was built into a wheel was August 2017:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89070&p=1312089#p1312089

(A hub purchased in mid 2017 should have had the clutch fix)

max3d   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 08 2020 2:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by max3d » Oct 13 2020 3:25pm

markz wrote:
Oct 12 2020 6:50pm
I wouldnt trust those generic connectors, they are the cheapest they can find. Hit up your local hobby store and buy some connector pairs, I like to use XT90's but XT60's would work, 4,5,6,7,8mm bullets would work. Any GENUINE connector would work thats rated for the controller/battery.
Thanks Markz, ordered a set of XT-90 plugs and a simple soldering station

2old   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1321
Joined: Jul 19 2014 3:20pm
Location: Socal

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by 2old » Nov 24 2020 11:46am

Here are some facts if you're interested. D8veh wrote his report long before Luna started carrying the kit. Luna had the kit for a short time, but has been out of it for months and doesn't appear to be restocking it (or seemingly any hub motor for that matter). Ron has never claimed to not write reports for Luna, but refrains from extolling them on this site (unless you've located something that I've never seen).

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 335
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Nov 24 2020 12:52pm

Lol I have nothing to win, nor to loose by what is said in this topic.
I have opened my account here at the moment that I wanted to participate in the discussions in stead of just reading them.
Quite logically, this inscription coincides with the appearance of a product that had my interest, namely this motor.
My shop only opened years later, so claiming a relationship between my inscription here and so called commercial interests is completely ridiculous.

If you don't believe what I write, that is your problem and your right.
I rest assured that I'm as honest as can be.

I transform normal bikes into ebikes for a living, in my bike shop here in Europe.
Besides that my builds are always legal (so no hotrodding, 25km/h speed limit), I thoroughly select the system, piece by piece, for each project to assure client satisfaction and product durability.
Generally it's me that builds the system onto the bike, with lots of effort to do it properly and reliably.
After hundreds of bikes, I do claim to have enough experience and to underline that I give a 2 year warranty on my builds.
If a motor isn't reliable, I surely won't use it anymore because I don't want to loose money on warranty repair, I've got children to feed.

This motor is designed to have descent climbing ability within the 250W nominal European law (and other territories laws for that matter).
If some fat American that doesn't want to pedal uses a hotrodded version of this motor, only using the throttle, he is just looking for a cheap way to accomplish what only heavier and more expensive systems can deliver.
This motor is not designed for that, it isn't advertised like that.
When you kill a motor by using it out of it's technical limitations than you're just a stupid cheap f@ck or you have been badly informed.
In the first case, stop whining and learn from your error.
In the second case, talk to the one that has advised you and explain him that his advice was bad, maybe he will be willing to help you out.

Now please stop polluting this topic. If you don't like this motor and you're not willing to participate in an informative discussion, there is no reason to waste your time here, is there?

User avatar
Ecyclist   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 376
Joined: Apr 01 2016 10:53pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by Ecyclist » Nov 25 2020 11:49pm

knutselmaaster wrote:
Nov 24 2020 12:52pm
Lol I have nothing to win, nor to loose by what is said in this topic.
I have opened my account here at the moment that I wanted to participate in the discussions in stead of just reading them.
Quite logically, this inscription coincides with the appearance of a product that had my interest, namely this motor.
My shop only opened years later, so claiming a relationship between my inscription here and so called commercial interests is completely ridiculous.

If you don't believe what I write, that is your problem and your right.
I rest assured that I'm as honest as can be.

I transform normal bikes into ebikes for a living, in my bike shop here in Europe.
Besides that my builds are always legal (so no hotrodding, 25km/h speed limit), I thoroughly select the system, piece by piece, for each project to assure client satisfaction and product durability.
Generally it's me that builds the system onto the bike, with lots of effort to do it properly and reliably.
After hundreds of bikes, I do claim to have enough experience and to underline that I give a 2 year warranty on my builds.
If a motor isn't reliable, I surely won't use it anymore because I don't want to loose money on warranty repair, I've got children to feed.

This motor is designed to have descent climbing ability within the 250W nominal European law (and other territories laws for that matter).
If some fat American that doesn't want to pedal uses a hotrodded version of this motor, only using the throttle, he is just looking for a cheap way to accomplish what only heavier and more expensive systems can deliver.
This motor is not designed for that, it isn't advertised like that.
When you kill a motor by using it out of it's technical limitations than you're just a stupid cheap f@ck or you have been badly informed.
In the first case, stop whining and learn from your error.
In the second case, talk to the one that has advised you and explain him that his advice was bad, maybe he will be willing to help you out.

Now please stop polluting this topic. If you don't like this motor and you're not willing to participate in an informative discussion, there is no reason to waste your time here, is there?
Fat Americans??? Your mama didn't wash your mouth with soap long enough. :twisted:

You gave me grief when I posted my experience with a kit I installed on my son's trike. It was an honest post with detailed explanation of my problem and how I fixed it. Now I can see why. You didn't like my post because it could affect you business.
Nobody cares about your gig. No one should trust you because your opinions are biased. :warn: :warn: :warn:
BTW: Installing bike kits for living. Pathetic. How do you say loser in French?
Last edited by Ecyclist on Nov 26 2020 1:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't expect from life to be easy and then it will be.
My builds:
Avian with hypocycloidal drive https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 2#p1318056
2016 GNG extreme drive https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=82252

AngryBob   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 367
Joined: Jul 10 2019 4:37pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by AngryBob » Nov 26 2020 4:08am

You are speaking to a "vendor" who has never mentioned the name of his shop, never advertised a product for sale, never posted in the vendor section, and discusses and promotes ONLY products sold by Eric Hicks, owner of Luna.

Almost certainly one of Eric's alter egos. He used to have many, now only one or two. Most of his paid minions no longer post in his defense. Rats and the sinking ship.

Perhaps you would be interested in a class-action lawsuit against Eric for defrauding the consumer? Need just a few more to get the case started. Some states limit damages to triple the price of the product, some do not.

Next will be the criminal case against Eric for Doxxing, as in offering a cash reward for personal identifying information of ES users, namely Etrike and Nelson37. Some of those aware of this are already on board. Some who helped cover it up have an important decision to make, very soon. Prison time is a very real possibility.
"Not being treated like a dumb dick is one of the incentives we have to become less stupid." - Balmorhea.

User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 15018
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by fechter » Nov 26 2020 12:28pm

Angry Bob is the re-incarnated Nelson 37. He's ranting about something that happened many years ago and has no relevance to the current discussion here. He's also in violation of several forum rules and generally being a jerk. I could ban him again, but he would just reappear under a new username.

Just hit the ignore button...
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

2old   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1321
Joined: Jul 19 2014 3:20pm
Location: Socal

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by 2old » Nov 26 2020 5:53pm

Once someone is banned, can't they be banned permanently (that is, if they return with another name, automatically ban them again)?

User avatar
Ecyclist   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 376
Joined: Apr 01 2016 10:53pm
Location: San Diego, California

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by Ecyclist » Nov 26 2020 6:20pm

2old wrote:
Nov 26 2020 5:53pm
Once someone is banned, can't they be banned permanently (that is, if they return with another name, automatically ban them again)?
Just lynch without a trial.
Don't expect from life to be easy and then it will be.
My builds:
Avian with hypocycloidal drive https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 2#p1318056
2016 GNG extreme drive https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 28&t=82252

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 335
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Nov 26 2020 7:18pm

@ecyclist
My post was entirely for the angry Bobby, no need to get upset like that.
Apparently you have grief for something I posted in the past, that is too bad but not agreeing with my opinion is no need to get all fishy and call my job pathetic.
It is your hobby, you even proudly present your builds in your signature and hang around here for years, is that a pathetic hobby then?
And no I don't install kits, I order all my parts separately from a whole list of different manufacturers and suppliers to be able to find the perfect solution for each client considering needs, weights, usage, handicap, budget, their bike, etc.
It is really fun actually and my clients are very happy.
It is great to be able to feed the family with your passion, your hobby.
I have nothing against you, even if I don't always agree.
Sorry if it hurt your feelings when I made a comment on the weight of people, it is a fact that the average weight on both sides of the Atlantic are way apart and this, and the way Ebikes are used and percepted has a great influence on what kind of motors need to be used.
If a 120kg person in bad physical shape asks me to build him an ebike to climb high and steep mountains, I surely won't use this motor.
Not because it is a bad motor but because it simply isn't the right motor for that particular usage.
I'm quite aware that a lot of resellers (and even manufacturers) claim unrealistic things, and that ignorant buyers get deceived because of that.
That is a bad way of running a business, big sales for a short period, untill the flaws of their product become known.
Big companies just put a new product on the market and the marketing section claims new wonders.
Over and over again.
The "throw away society" with programmed breakdown to keep the money rolling, destroying the environment while they're at it.
I hate this kind of behaviour, and I try hard not to be part of that.
I'm in this forum to learn and to share knowledge, in the hope that this helps to keep things running, so that we don't need to throw them on the scrapyard.
I've learned, partially from the experiences of people in this topic, what are the limits of the XD 2s motor and I avoid reaching these limits on my builds.
That is why my clients never had problems with this motor, not because it is perfect.
I never claimed that it is perfect, no product is perfect.
Everything has it's limits, the trick is to keep a big margin to assure it doesn't reach that so that a long lifespan is assured.

2old   100 kW

100 kW
Posts: 1321
Joined: Jul 19 2014 3:20pm
Location: Socal

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by 2old » Nov 26 2020 8:54pm

Ecyclist wrote:
Nov 26 2020 6:20pm
2old wrote:
Nov 26 2020 5:53pm
Once someone is banned, can't they be banned permanently (that is, if they return with another name, automatically ban them again)?
Just lynch without a trial.
Apparently you didn't read what I said. If they've been banned, they shouldn't return with a new name. But, thanks; you can be added to the ignore list.

markz   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 11429
Joined: Jan 09 2014 11:38pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by markz » Nov 26 2020 9:12pm

All depends on what they are doing to get that new es username. I mean its really not that hard to come up with an idea or two that involves little more then getting off the computer chair. Getting up and off the computer chair to do that is to much work to begin with. Lets not give the kiddies any idea's now.

max3d   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 08 2020 2:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by max3d » Dec 01 2020 1:58pm

Oh my, tensions run high here while I'm only interested in discussing the Xiongda motor itself. Can we move back to technical discussions?

Maybe you guys can help me. I have just tested my first provisional Xiongda install. Everything seems to work fine except the low gear. If I put the HAL switch to low, nothing happens. In the other two settings the motor runs fine and provides about the support I expected but I need the LOW setting to get up to my hill.

Which mistake might have caused that setting to just do nothing?

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 335
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Dec 01 2020 2:11pm

If the motor does go to low in A (automatic) mode (at start, on a steep climb at low speed), without the switch connected, it probably is the switch. You should check the switch with a multimeter (or a simple low voltage light circuit). There should be continuity between 2 of the 3 pins in H and in another pair of pins in L.
Don't hesitate to ask precisions if above explanation is too vague for you.

max3d   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 08 2020 2:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by max3d » Dec 01 2020 2:23pm

Thanks, I have a multimeter so will check continuity tomorrow. I even have a second HAL switch to test.

max3d   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Aug 08 2020 2:38pm

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by max3d » Dec 02 2020 3:28pm

To a future reader with the same problem of the HAL switch not working for Low gearing: you used the wrong connector coming from the controller.
In my case I mixed it up the wheel rotation sensor as that also has a three pin connector.

Question: how should the wheel rotation sensor and the two magnets be installed? Any photo available to make me understand?

knutselmaaster   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 335
Joined: Apr 05 2014 6:50am
Location: near Paris, France

Re: 2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

Post by knutselmaaster » Dec 02 2020 6:26pm

Indeed, the wires and the connector should have the same colour on both sides.
No need for speed sensor, it is built into the motor.
You can fall back on external speed sensor if the one in the motor should fail but that rarely happens on hub motors.

Post Reply