90 miles range in a day, no pedaling (144km)

dirtdad

1 kW
I took my pedal free eChopper out for another big ride again yesterday testing for range. This time I stopped for some opportunity charges along the way. By doing so I got a 90 mile range. And that was with less than optimal opportunity charging.

The bike is configured with 2 36V 20AH packs and yesterday I used a small 36V 22A Wilderness Energy controller. I carried both 3A battery chargers with me. I discharged one pack at a time rather than making a parallel wiring set up. I did not think to swap batteries occasionally, so I drained one battery, then another. I stopped for breakfast to charge, but was only able to charge one pack because I had only discharged one. I plan to set up the batteries in series and get a 72V controller, that will make for even battery discharge and better opportunity charges. I am sure that if I do it right I can get over 100 miles (160km) in a day.

Kudos. My back would be toast if I did that in one day.

I am getting the seat reupholstered. Seriously. The seat it came with was obviously meant for posing and cruising. It looks really cools and it is ok to sit on about 30 minutes, tops. But no padding at all, the decorative buttons are popping out, etc.

Hi Dirtdad,

That's pretty impressive range, well done. Can you tell us some more numbers, please? How long did it take; how much en-route charge did you take on board.

Have you worked out your consumption in Watt-Hours per mile?

I'm running about 15 Wh/mile on one of my bikes. I'm planning a 100+ mile ride next month and I think I'll have to get down to 11 or 12 Wh/mile to do it.

Nick

Back