New here

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
vadimash222
1 µW
1 µW

New here

Post by vadimash222 » Jun 15, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi people, im a noob here. I recently starter my research on converting my bike into electric and im not sure what to buy, but i want it to go 50-60 km/h. I will buy a mountain bike this week and i want to know if its better to buy one with dual suspension or single.

Thank you!

arkmundi
1 GW
1 GW

Re: New here

Post by arkmundi » Jun 15, 2014 7:51 pm

I recommend doing some research before you make a commit to any particular design, and take some time doing it. Do that by making a prodigious use of the search capability and read up on various builds. But yea, at those speeds its more like a motorcycle than a bicycle, so think how those are built, suspension & shock absorbers, tires, etc.

vadimash222
1 µW
1 µW

Post by vadimash222 » Jun 15, 2014 8:05 pm

Thank you, i will start with that!

e-biker
10 kW
10 kW

Post by e-biker » Jun 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Welcome to the Grin!
If you don't have it yet, you will get it as soon as you complete your first build! I am with arkmundi do a lot!! of research before you buy anything. Look at the build threads and get some ideals. It is easy to waste a lot of time and money building your first bike. Think about terrain and distance you will require and stay away from lead batteries.
Don't go crazy on ebay buying bunches of junk. list what you want in the
items wanted section of this forum and you will get the best price and help from the pro's on here. You made the right first step by asking questions! don't stop asking there is really no dumb questions for us noobies.
24 s 4P, lyen 18 fet,5304 clyte, double crown monster ft forks large steel currie mongoose 24 450 (- the currie ) frame dual hyd disc daily commuter.
24s 20" M/P 2 casted wheelie machine, everybody should have one!!

vadimash222
1 µW
1 µW

Post by vadimash222 » Jun 15, 2014 8:57 pm

Before building my first ebike, i want to convert one, to see what changes i would make and how i can make it better. Then i will be able to see and understand how i want my ebike to be. I am an airplane construction student and i have some ideas for ebikes. But first, where i can buy the best and cheapest ebikes convertion kits. And how i will be able to push it to 50-60 km/h? I know i need a brushless electric hub motor, but which one?

DAND214
1 GW
1 GW

Post by DAND214 » Jun 15, 2014 11:00 pm

vadimash222 wrote:Before building my first ebike, i want to convert one, to see what changes i would make and how i can make it better. Then i will be able to see and understand how i want my ebike to be. I am an airplane construction student and i have some ideas for ebikes. But first, where i can buy the best and cheapest ebikes convertion kits. And how i will be able to push it to 50-60 km/h? I know i need a brushless electric hub motor, but which one?
It would be best to fill in your location. that makes it a lot easier to aim you in the right direction. If we don't know your location, there will be a lot of wasted ideas.

Dan

arkmundi
1 GW
1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Jun 16, 2014 1:19 am

vadimash222 wrote:But first, where i can buy the best and cheapest ebikes convertion kits. And how i will be able to push it to 50-60 km/h? I know i need a brushless electric hub motor, but which one?
Those statements are incompatible. And not necessarily brushless. And not necessarily hub motor. Your relevant question is "which one?" That must be answered by YOU. You'll not unless you research and read-up on various build threads.

d8veh
100 GW
100 GW

Post by d8veh » Jun 16, 2014 4:26 am

vadimash222 wrote: But first, where i can buy the best and cheapest ebikes convertion kits. And how i will be able to push it to 50-60 km/h? I know i need a brushless electric hub motor, but which one?
This is where your aerodynamics experience will help. Buy all the cheap stuff, fit it to a cheap wally bike, then chuck it off a cliff. It should easily reach 60 km/hr. If you do it right, and can find a high enough cliff, you might just crack 200kn/h.

Joking aside, you have to decide what you want. It is a good idea to build a cheaper bike first to see how it works, but for speed, you need decent brakes and tyres. When you go past 50km/h, suspension becomes important. For high power, you need a bike that's strong around the drop-outs unless you go with a crank or chain drive. If you're not too heavy, you could start with a 750w BAafang BBS02 kit, which can give high speed without so much stress. It's pretty simple to install for your first conversion.

arkmundi
1 GW
1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Jun 16, 2014 4:44 am

d8veh wrote:
vadimash222 wrote: But first, where i can buy the best and cheapest ebikes convertion kits. And how i will be able to push it to 50-60 km/h? I know i need a brushless electric hub motor, but which one?
This is where your aerodynamics experience will help. Buy all the cheap stuff, fit it to a cheap wally bike, then chuck it off a cliff. It should easily reach 60 km/hr. If you do it right, and can find a high enough cliff, you might just crack 200kn/h.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself, enshrined in the Quotable Quotes hall of the infamous https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 26#p908326

Since he wants to know how i will be able to push it to 50-60 km/h?, I can think of few other ways. For instance:
  • driving an ICEr, hold it with one hand until coming to speed, then let go and see what happens
  • attach rockets and shoot it in the air until gravity returns it to Eaarth, and again, see what happens
  • take it to the top of a hill and let it roll down - the easiest way - test brakes first
Sorry vadimash222, we're having a good laugh at your expense. You really should persist and build something worthy of your investment of time and money.

arkmundi
1 GW
1 GW

Post by arkmundi » Jun 16, 2014 7:21 am

I needed to do this anyway, so here's a list of the Top 10 eBike Conversion Kits & Where to Buy. Hope it helps.

dogman dan
100 GW
100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Jun 16, 2014 8:18 am

Welcome to the shark tank that's ES. Lotta help those comments were.

There is a cheap kit that can be modified to go that fast. Yes.com 48v 1000w. Lots of similar kits on Ebay, since you clearly don't live in the USA. Try that, and run it on 48v till you get some experience. Then get a 72v 40 amps controller for it. That will get you into the 65kph club. Don't run it hard on 72v for more than 15 k at a time, or you risk it melting the wires, halls, etc.

Read about batteries, because that 40 amps controller will kill most stock ebike batteries. Read about torque arms, because at 72v that wheel will fly off the bike. That's why you need to start with 48v.

Drunkskunk
100 GW
100 GW

Post by Drunkskunk » Jun 16, 2014 11:27 am

Welcome to the forum.

30 KPH is normal for an ebike, and the legal limit in many places.
40kph is fast but reasonable for an Ebike. Expect to spend $1500-2000 for a bike that can maintain that. You can half a$$ it and build it cheaper with half a$$ parts, but expect it to be a half a$4 bike with half a$$ performance .

60kph isn't an ebike anymore. That's motorcycle speeds, and you're going to quickly find out why motorcycles are built with thicker, heavier duty parts. You can build an ebike that will do this, but if you have to ask someone else how, then you don't yet have the knowledge or experience to do it without killing yourself.

So telling you would be like handing a loaded gun to a child, but then our gene pool needs some chlorine, so here goes. :mrgreen:

A Crystalyte HS3540 running 72 volts through a 18FET controller should get you north of 60kph.
Do it right, it will be awesome. Do it wrong, you'll be street pizza. If you want to do it right, start with a basic ebike that will do 30-40kph. build it to last, and run it until you have enough experience to know why questions like yours get reactions like this from most people. Then you'll live long enough to think 60kph was a boring goal anyways, and be after more speed. :mrgreen:
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Monster Bike:https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=38667

wesnewell
100 GW
100 GW

Post by wesnewell » Jun 16, 2014 1:47 pm

Welcome to ES****Do this before your first post or now (it's retroactive)*****
Please go to the User Control Panel, select Profile, and then enter your city, state/province, and country into the Location field (country minimum) and save it. Once done, your location will appear in every post so you won't have people asking where you are ever again. This will help people help you. Example: Wylie, TX, USA. or just USA, but country as a minimum, and country is the most important. There are many cities with the same name all over the world. Without knowing what country you are in it's hard to make any recommendations. Thank you.
Need Advice? https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =3&t=66302
Mongoose 26" Ledge 2.1 mtb bike $99, yescomusa.com 48V 1000W rear hub kit $200, Hua Tong 72V 40A controller $35, 10ah 24s lipo $217=~43mph, range=45 miles @ 20mph. 25K miles and still going strong.
Huffy Fortress 3.0 with MXUS 3000 4T motor, 24s lipo, 96V 60A controller. Total cost with extras <$700. Top speed ~50mph
My videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0KW4U ... _G2wQhptMg