Got a used 24v brushed Aotema bicycle

Taiden

1 W
My neighbor had an electric bicycle he got in a trade a while back. It's a brushed Aotema front hub motor, with two 12v10AH batteries in the back. The controller has nothing but chinese on it, and it says "24v". It's extremely slow, it can't go up any grade of hill without pedal support and it maintains probably 8 mph on a flat. One battery shows 13.2v right after a charge, the other shows 13.0v. When I connect the battery directly to the motor, it turns the same speed noload as when I run it through the controller at wide open throttle. The battery sack has room for a third battery, but is currently filled with white packing foam!

The goal is to have something I can commute with that maintains 20-25 mph on flats and be able to tackle medium hills at about 10 mph. (This isn't San Fransisco!)

Any thoughts on what my next step should be? Should I scrap this thing and start from scratch, or is the performance available from this kit? Can I go 36v? Can I go 48v?

You can go 48v, but might need a new controller to do that. Luckily, brushed controllers are pretty cheap. Look for one with 20-30 amps. In other words, 800w or more.

If the controller you have is a black box it might be the original controller. That one could run on 24v-48v. But I don't think it sounds like you have the original controller on it.

30 mph is possible on 48v, if it's 26" wheels.

It's silver, so I think you're right in that it's not the original controller.

Is there a way to test the SLA batteries to see if they are toasted?

Taiden said:
It's silver, so I think you're right in that it's not the original controller.

Is there a way to test the SLA batteries to see if they are toasted?

Charge and drain using significant load. Possibly old space heater or toaster oven, etc.

Word of advice - power meter is practically required for any meaningful battery data. You may be able to use the 10A function found on many DVM's and a clock to derive Ah.

I can't seem to find much info on the Aotema brushed kits. The controller it came with is a smallish silver box that has chinese on it, and the only roman characters is "24v". I'm not even sure this is an Aotema controller. Are there any resources for these Aotema brushed kits? Is there any way to test if this controller will handle 48v?

Here are some photos of the controller

Attachments

• 10514918_10152514262901145_961393535_n.jpg
    10514918_10152514262901145_961393535_n.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 1,581
  • 10477052_10152514263321145_512755546_o.jpg
    10477052_10152514263321145_512755546_o.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 1,581
I just came across 2 used motors and controllers that match your description so I am watching this thread closely for more info about them. I am planning on running them at 36 or 48 volts depending on what is safe and am curious if we can use this controller to run up to 48v even though 24 is printed on the case.

Anyway RE testing battery strength I use this tool: http://www.harborfreight.com/http-www-harborfreight-com-100-amp-6-volt12-volt-battery-load-tester-69888-9191-html.html

It is intended for car batteries so in my experience a new 12v SLA battery will read around 600.

Hey wesley, glad to make contact on here. If you find any info please post it. I can't find any info on this controller at all. Do you happen to have an extra thumb throttle I can use? Mine is massively broken.

I just bought some LiFePo4 cells on here and a 16s bms on ebay (fingers crossed). Hoping to put a 36v15ah or 48v10ah behind this little guy and see what happens.

Check out this throttle on ebay, just make sure the wire colors jive with what you have now otherwise you may need to rework it a bit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-Non-Lighted-Electric-Bike-Kit-Thumb-Throttle-Wilderness-Energy-/300950671658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item46120ed12a

Most useful post I found about this motor was by Dogman: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12981&start=0, but hes says they are 36v which doesnt seem to jive with our "24v" controllers.... all a bit confusing

Nice price and good location, I picked it up. Thanks!

Have you had a chance to ride yours yet? Mine cuts out over bumps, going to go through the harness when I have more time. It's a pretty shoddy install.

No I have not but that should happen in a day or two, just need to spoke my wheel. Going to give it a go at 24v then hook up a brushed 36v controller I have and try that out. If I were you I would start by testing the strength of your batteries.

Attachments

• 2014-06-28 18.53.52 (Small).jpg
    2014-06-28 18.53.52 (Small).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,531
Awesome project! Never tried a drift trike, are they fun? Must be really fun if you can ride back up the hill.

I'll probably bring them by a battery place and have them test them. I jumped into building a battery in a huge way, figured I could assemble a 48v14ah LiFePo4 with BMS and charger for about $275. I tend to jump head first into projects that I'm not yet qualified to do. Great way to learn.

Taiden said:
Awesome project! Never tried a drift trike, are they fun? Must be really fun if you can ride back up the hill.

I'll probably bring them by a battery place and have them test them. I jumped into building a battery in a huge way, figured I could assemble a 48v14ah LiFePo4 with BMS and charger for about $275. I tend to jump head first into projects that I'm not yet qualified to do. Great way to learn.

Where did you find a 48 volt 14 amp hour LiFePo4 Battery Pack and Charger for $ 275 ?
Looks like you are going to build the pack yourself ?
If so What Batteries Brand/Model , etc.
I am also wondering about going this route, since the Hobby ones ( LiPo ) seem to only have 5 amp hour packs , already built up,

I'm building it from the cells at the beginning of this classifieds ad.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59646

Taiden said:
I'm building it from the cells at the beginning of this classifieds ad.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59646

That is something I am wondering about, except New, ones, and the cost compared to just buying something built up.

I saw on Amazon yesterday, some Samsung 18650 for $ 2 each , but , I think they were only 2.3 amp hours each .

The Battery , Overprice problem just needs to be Fixed, in order for more of us to go electric !

Taiden said:
My neighbor had an electric bicycle he got in a trade a while back. It's a brushed Aotema front hub motor, with two 12v10AH batteries in the back. The controller has nothing but chinese on it, and it says "24v". It's extremely slow, it can't go up any grade of hill without pedal support and it maintains probably 8 mph on a flat. One battery shows 13.2v right after a charge, the other shows 13.0v. When I connect the battery directly to the motor, it turns the same speed noload as when I run it through the controller at wide open throttle. The battery sack has room for a third battery, but is currently filled with white packing foam!

The goal is to have something I can commute with that maintains 20-25 mph on flats and be able to tackle medium hills at about 10 mph. (This isn't San Fransisco!)

Any thoughts on what my next step should be? Should I scrap this thing and start from scratch, or is the performance available from this kit? Can I go 36v? Can I go 48v?

You say it is extremely slow, 24 volts, But , What is the Wattage of the hub motor ?

The motor has no markings on it other than a serial number and AOTEMA. I'm trying to find information on this setup! :)

Its a brushed motor, about 500w. What else do you want to know? It can take 48v, but not for a real long time at 1000w. If it's hot, limit rides to about 30 min. 60 min will cook it at 48v 20 amps.

If you get them hot enough, they will melt the epoxy, and then the magnets detach.

They used to be sold in kits called wilderness energy. There are threads about it, but not since about 2007-08.

On 48v, you'll have 30 mph in a 26" wheel.

BTW, that's not the stock controller. So likely you need another, unless the caps inside it say 60 or 63v.

I found two of these motors and they both came with the controllers pictured. Anyway I ran it last night with strong batteries and I used 24v with the 24v controller and it was dog slow.

Then I ran it at 36 and 48 volts with a 4QD Porter 10 controller. At 48v it was fast but the wires were warm and the motor was hot within 10 minutes. At 36v the wires were not as hot but after 15m the motor was Hot.

Haha! Let's flip a coin. random.org can do that. :p

You'd have to wait until I can build my battery pack. Probably in a week or two.

I ran the motor today at 36v for about 10 maybe 15 minutes. Motor got a little warm on its way to hot but didn't get there. From a stand still start I heard a thunk from within the motor and that was it.... no more power. Controller is still outputting power but the motor seems to be dead. Bummer! I will say the controller has regen braking, I did run it at 48v for about 15 minutes the other day and I its mostly stop and go with the drift trike so this is above average (ab)use. I'm guessing one of the brushes let go? Anyway I now have another of these motors and controllers and throttles. Thinking about selling what I have and getting a 48v 1000w motor like a magic pie but this is close to $500...

Back