Asking opinions on first e bike set up

DASA

100 µW
Hi My name is Tony and im looking for an e bike..

Asking for opinions on what people have and what they think i should buy? (I live in Australia).

i would really like around 40kmh+ cruising on flat and range of 20Km+. price is optional as i dont mind paying for quality..
(But those stealth E Bikes are too much $$!!) :)

I currently ride a F80 66CC petrol motorised bike but am looking to go electric as im sick of bits vibrating off and breaking not to mention always messing around with 2 stroke fuel but I am a complete newby to E bikes.

SO, I would love to hear opinions! Cheers!

PS looking at this currently: http://dillenger.com.au/shop/electric-bikes/1000w-banshee/ what do you think of that set up?

Well, it's out of stock, but on the right track.

Looks like a decent motor on the bike, but I'd choose a cruiser with 7 speeds in the back rather than a single gear.

You can save a lot of money if you build your own from a kit and buy the battery separately. In AU?
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-48V-500-1000W-Electric-Bicycle-Conversion-E-Bike-Front-Rear-Wheel-Motor-Kit-/151253159288

Well, it's an option. But you can build better for less.
A cruiser bike like that would suck at speeds above 30kph or so. The geometry just isn't good for speed. Way too much trail in the steering geometry, way too much weight over the rear wheel. They're built for cruising at park speeds, 15-20kph.

Decent Batteries are way over priced in Australia.

Take a look at one of Pauls Mac 10T kits with one of his 50 volt batteries, it will pull you up most hills without too much trouble and cruise at 35 to 40 km/h.

After buying a decent battery and kit from him you will have $500+ left over to buy a good Mountain bike compared to that Dillenger Bike.
Im wishing i bought all my kit from him instead of just the battery, Maybe i would be riding around by now instead of waiting for parts to be replaced that came not working.

EM3EV has a very good name on this site for quality kits and parts and his batteries are 2nd to none in my opinion.

http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=36&product_id=138

Details: Id like to buy a new E bike for general commute around 10kms however im on a tight budget. under $1000 preferably. Id like quality and power for steep hills, more top speed the better with no pedaling. I weigh 85Kgs. & dont worry about the laws ill be off road but smooth track. I Only have very basic assembly skills.Thanks for the help

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302

Good idea Wes.

Best value is very hard to pin down, because what you value is always different from what I value. But apparently you value a very low cost most. Many lower priced kits are there on ebay, some shipped from china, but look for a good price shipped from closer if you can find one.

The kit is a direct drive motor, with controller to make a "1000w" kit that runs on a 48v battery. Then look for an affordable battery solution from the list of vendors we on ES trust. That's about the cheapest you can get, for a reliable fast commuter.

Well I'm audacious enough to say what I'm riding. But that may actually be true. Did extensive research before my buy-in. See my Top 10 eBike Conversion Kits & Where to Buy thread for those notes and my MAC/Trek build thread for additional. So did my research including that list, made my selection in favour of a MAC 10T, then completed a build on a Trek Shift 3. Total costs ~$2000 including bike, motor, controller, kit components, and battery. That's a mid-range of what you can expect. Get a used bike off of Craigslist or eBay to reduce that cost. Get a lesser battery to reduce more (less ah). Finally get a lesser motor, less power and a 36V battery to get it still lower.

Yes it depends what you value. if you want to be on the limits of traction at all times get a 50mm stator hub motor from qs motors, kelly 96251 controller from kelly , 10ah of nanotech hobbyking lipo 30s. 17" rim and strap it on a 10 year old good condish DH racing frame with hydraulic brakes and suspension. thats value!! also do all your own work and wheel building get spokes from holmes hobbies 12g custom cutand a rim from him too. now u are using a 30$ rear tire that is dot rated the shinko 241. value! steel wheel mind u so that it dont break (i carry a hammer). ur looking at three grand but now u can really turn heads doing huge power wheelies at 50kmh,safely.

Actually, what erik built for $5000 is a good value. Not cheap though, if you valued that! Erik had big needs, requiring big stuff.

On the other end of the spectrum, the I zip or Ezip bikes have often been a good bang for the buck. Not fast, but solid, dependable and cheap.

I think one of the best ways to get a moderate good performance bike on the cheap, is a 7 speed beach cruiser bike, with a cheap direct drive 36v kit on it. 20 mph ish, the bike will last forever, and the kits are affordable. Put the money you saved on the bike itself into a better battery.

I finally bought my first kit after over a year of looking at bikes and kits. The readymade bikes I loved were all over $3k, which I couldn't justify for my intended use as a errand-running, beach getaway bike.

My kit and battery total is $700 and I am putting it on a used bike that I bought for $100, plus I'll probably spend $100 on misc. If anything, I may have bought too much for my needs in terms of speed and range, but I figured better long than short. I used Arkmundi's list, trolled around the boards and posted a few queries to figure out which kit, which vendor.

Now, getting the kit up and running has been a bit more challenge than I hoped for, but I'm still optimistic! If you're comfortable with the DIY route, that's where you'll get best value, but you'll pay in a bit of elbow grease and uncertainty.

There are Ebay kits for under $300 (plus add bike and battery/charger), they are good for a decent top speed on flat land, but they will get very hot on hills (also ebay kits are risky with no customer support). The "high top speed plus good hill climbing" are contradictory characteristics for hub motors. The MAC 10T at 48V has reasonable hill-climbing for medium hills, and the top speed is around 26-MPH. If it starts getting hot on your hills, you could ventilate it, but...if your hills are too steep for it to survive, you simply must get a different kit.

I would suggest a mid drive (30-MPH plus GREAT hill-climbing), but they are more expensive. Best value is a yard sale bike with a steel frame plus a ventilated large direct drive hub kit that is either made for low-Kv hill-climbing, or high top speed (not both). Recommend 48V instead of 36V, even with your budget restrictions. $1,500 is more realistic for satisfaction, $1000 will be somewhat weak and short range.

I had stopped checking for replies aftert the first said i had posted wrong.

But just checked again now and want to thank all for your replies iv read them and appreciate what you are saying however im not very mechanically minded and was hoping for a brand ready made or just basic assembly such as a dillenger or aseako or fashion.

Just not sure what brand to get etc? at the moment im looking at either the 350 watt earth 2015 turbo model or the dillenger outlaw if i need to stretch the budget to $2000. As im not sure if 350 watt motor is strong enough for big hills etc.

http://dillenger.com.au/shop/electric-bikes/dillenger-stealth-legacy-700c-electric-bike/

http://www.aseakoelectricbike.com.au/

Where abouts are you in Australia. I'm in Perth. You never posted wrong Wes asked to post your location that's all. Its just hard to give advice when youre not sure where people live.

Rodney64 said:
Where abouts are you in Australia. I'm in Perth. You never posted wrong Wes asked to post your location that's all. Its just hard to give advice when youre not sure where people live.

Yeah its fair enough i should correct that info. Im in SA. Shipping from perth could be an option if you know of something that may be good con and for sale? thanks mate

Prodeco makes a pretty good ready to ride bike. But I have no idea if you can get them in AU.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/sis.html?_nkw=New%2048V%20500%201000W%20Electric%20Bicycle%20Conversion%20E%20Bike%20Front%20Rear%20Wheel%20Motor%20Kit&_itemId=151253159288

arkmundi said:
Well I'm audacious enough to say what I'm riding. But that may actually be true. Did extensive research before my buy-in. See my Top 10 eBike Conversion Kits & Where to Buy thread for those notes and my MAC/Trek build thread for additional. So did my research including that list, made my selection in favour of a MAC 10T, then completed a build on a Trek Shift 3. Total costs ~$2000 including bike, motor, controller, kit components, and battery. That's a mid-range of what you can expect. Get a used bike off of Craigslist or eBay to reduce that cost. Get a lesser battery to reduce more (less ah). Finally get a lesser motor, less power and a 36V battery to get it still lower.

Seems like a good list.
That yescomusa website for ebikes isnt on there. (Every time I try to think of the name for that, I always get comusa, then I google it and get nowhere. Thats why I got favorites!)
Honestly, if I didnt go waaaay overboard with my first ever entry into ebikes going mxus 3000 watt route, I would have bought from comusa website.
48V1000W 26" rear for like $280. Seems like the controllers like to die.

Dillenger kits are so easy to install that it shouldn't be a problem. However my 36V, 10 ah system doesn't climb hills well. If I were you, I would go bigger.

2old said:
Dillenger kits are so easy to install that it shouldn't be a problem. However my 36V, 10 ah system doesn't climb hills well. If I were you, I would go bigger.

when you say doesnt climb hills well what do you mean? im 85 kg and go up some BIG hills on my petrol push bike, would i have to pedal a lot to get up a big hill? thanks

what do you guys think of this 350watt earth turbo model for $2000 i can buy one of these locally.. would it get me up big hills etc with out pedaling? at 85kg?

http://www.electric-bikes-sa.com.au/new-2015-models-.html

Back