Weird noise, Crystalite 5305 v2

mathmtl

1 µW
On the road... right now in Washington, DC
Hi,

First post, reading the forum since the last year.
First off all sorry for my bad spelling, not my first language, please don't be to harsh on the grammatical error...

I was in San Francisco when i decided i needed a electric bike.
Start looking at the forum, After couple days of reading I contacted Edward Lien and realized he lived about 5 minutes walk from my place...
Bought a 12 Fet controller, crystalite 5305 rear motor, Cycle Analyst v2.3, throttle and other gear from him. I also ordered a 15AH 48V lifepo4 battery from ping.

Install all that on a REI 29er montain bike with a few mod. SLX hydraulic brake system, 207mm XT disk brake, torque arms, 48T front gear, 11t rear gear, Grin headlight, Falcon frame battery bag, 6" raised BMX handle bar, 2.35 big apple tire,...

The bike run great for the last 10 months, i'm in love with that thing, it cruised full trottle at 25-26 mph on 48v and 31-32mph on 72V in almost complete silence.

Last week, i was comming back from work and the Cycle Analyst start flashing and the power start to go on and off every other second or so.
I turned everything to off and pedal back to work.

I disconnected and reconnected everything, it seemed to be all right, powering up as normal but when i ride it, the motor make a loud noise (kinda).
It got the power back (seem to be able to go top speed), i didn't run on it to long, I was scared of braking it more than it might be already.
All wire seem to be in good shape, everything firmly connected, nothing look or smell like burnt.
Battery is ok, showing the appropriate voltage on the cyscle analyst and volt meter.

My guest is hall sensor problems, but i don't have a sensorless controller to test it without the hall sensor...
Any idea on what step i should do to troubleshoot that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank You
Mat

Hi,

Thank for your answer/input.
I'll test the ping battery later but in the meantime i tried the bike with a lipo pack i had handy (2x 8ah 6S in series) and i still have the same noise.
It's not that loud but it's definitively louder than it was before.

The turning on and off every other second only happen one time, it's not doing that anymore.

Any other idea? not sure what to do.
i'm going to try that and see... http://www.ebikes.ca/documents/HallSensorTestingFinal.pdf

Thanks

Walk 5min back over to Lyen's and buy an ebike tester, and have him rig it with plugs to match your motor if it doesn't already.

Back