Help with strange Cycle Analyst problems?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
richdeloup   100 W

100 W

Help with strange Cycle Analyst problems?

Post by richdeloup » Sep 07 2014 8:04am

A friend of mine bought a V3 C/A and brought it to me to show a strange problem that he was having. As I had the older version he thought that I may be able to help.

Firstly, the voltage on the C/A was showing 183.9v when he had a 84v pack?? The settings were correctly adjusted to RC 72v 20s etc.
Secondly, his motor only ran at around 20% power. We are pretty new to this but read through the manual many times to no avail?
I eventually programmed his controller through the PC to his required settings and he set the C/A back.

I've just received my V3 in the post and guess what, exactly the same 2 problems but running on a completely different set up. Lyen 18fet and an HS3540.
My voltage says 183.9 when I know its 79.8.

I also cant get the throttle to run through the C/A? and have done the V2 interface mod with the green connected to the controller throttle wire.
The throttle bar on the C/A goes up and down but nothing gets to the controller?

Any help much appreciated as I have spent 3 full days on this!
9 ebikes, one pair of legs, small apartment, no wife

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Re: Help with strange Cycle Analyst problems?

Post by teklektik » Sep 07 2014 10:37am

• EDIT: EDITs added because this post is now referenced from the CA Beta Thread.

These are technical instructions and there are CAPS in the following for emphasis on critical steps (this is not chat room at they don't signify yelling). The V3 can be unforgiving over certain minor missteps, so please take particular care where indicated! :D
richdeloup wrote:I've just received my V3 in the post and guess what, exactly the same 2 problems but running on a completely different set up. Lyen 18fet and an HS3540.
My voltage says 183.9 when I know its 79.8.

I also cant get the throttle to run through the C/A? and have done the V2 interface mod with the green connected to the controller throttle wire.
The throttle bar on the C/A goes up and down but nothing gets to the controller?
  1. DOCUMENTAION:
    To make sure we are literally all on the same page - please verify your version of the Guide is the most recent (here). If not, download a fresh copy.
  2. HARDWARE INSTALLATION:
    It can be difficult to retest the CA interface type depending on the present installation, so we'll assume you made the critical test in section 4.2.1.1 and the hardware installation is okay.
  3. EEPROM:
    The bad voltage reading is an indication that your EEPROM is likely corrupted. The first step is to restore your CA V3 to factory fresh condition.
    1. Go to the Grin Tech V3 page and download:
      1. The latest CA Setup Utility for your platform (e.g. Windows 1.20)
      2. The latest CA V3 Update Tool (e.g. 1.2)
      3. The 3.0 p6 firmware hex file (e.g. CA V3.0 Prelim6 Hex File)
    2. Follow the instructions on the Grin V3 page and re-flash your CA using the Update tool. This will ensure the code in not corrupted.
    3. Follow the instructions in this post to restore your CA to factory fresh calibration. In step (6) of those instructions also configure ONLY the settings in section 4.6.1 of the Guide.
      DO NOT ALTER ANY OTHER SETTINGS.
      DO NOT 'READ' SETTINGS FROM THE CA AND ATTEMPT TO WRITE THEM BACK.
      • Note: This procedure installs certain default calibration settings (e.g. voltage V/V setting). Each V3 receives additional calibration specific to that device. The factory defaults are generally within a few percent of the Grin device-specific settings, but this procedure should not be undertaken unless the calibration is already known to be corrupted since the factory settings are very slightly less accurate.
    4. At this point your V3 should be in virgin factory-fresh condition with minor configuration for your shunt and battery pack.
    5. WITHOUT CONFIGURING ANYTHING ELSE - power up your bike.
      Your CA should now read the correct voltage, but generally won't work properly since it's not configured.
    IN ANY SUBSEQUENT STEPS, USE ONLY THE CONSOLE BUTTONS TO CONFIGURE YOUR CA - DO NOT USE THE SETUP UTILITY.
  4. SETTINGS CONFIGURATION:
    Repeat the Guide installation process step by step starting at step 4.6.2.
This should get you running if you follow the steps here and in the Guide carefully.
If not, post back with:
  1. the mode you are trying to use (i.e. normal or legacy),
  2. the Guide section number/designation that you used to install/wire the CA (e.g. 4.2.1.1.C),
  3. details of the problem.
  4. Use the Setup Utility to extract a settings file as described in this post. Attach the file to your post.
EDIT: FWIW - The V3 can be a very simple install or somewhat more complex depending on the situation - there is no way to really tell a priori. The installation section of the Guide is annoyingly large to accommodate all cases, but most of it is simply skipped over as non-applicable and dealing with other cases. Steps are done in a specific order for a reason and if you can 'soldier on' and report back with questions on a particular step, we can be certain of the hardware and settings that are in play. This makes assistance pretty simple.

So - 'follow the steps exactly' is a matter of ensuring that you have properly navigated the treacherous twists and decisions correctly and have gotten the V3 in a known state. The bits of information above (1-4) serve to explain what you are trying to do and how you have tried to accomplish it. The instruction to 'follow the steps' is not doubting your technical skill, it's a way to know exactly what has been done without asking a hundred questions so you can begin enjoying your V3 ASAP :D
Last edited by teklektik on Sep 28 2014 6:18pm, edited 7 times in total.
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4

richdeloup   100 W

100 W

Post by richdeloup » Sep 07 2014 11:14am

Great thank you!

Yes I established that I have a V2 interface and am trying to set up for 'normal'

I'll try to do a re-flash when I receive a cable through and go from there....

richdeloup   100 W

100 W

Post by richdeloup » Sep 28 2014 4:19am

Than you teklektik, this worked :)

teklektik   10 GW

10 GW

Post by teklektik » Sep 28 2014 10:15am

Excellent news!

Sorry you spent so much time on this up front - the CA can be unforgiving and sometimes a seemingly inconsequential installation/setup decision can derail your efforts. I'm delighted that you got your throttle sorted.
Thanks for getting back. :D

On the other front: It's interesting that the bulk of these EEPROM corruption issues seem to have come from places off the US/Canada mainland. EEPROM is supposed to be immune to x-rays, but I can't help but wonder if customs screening is zonking some chips with newer and more powerful scans...
Visit Grin Technologies at www.ebikes.ca
Build Thread: 2WD Yuba Mundo V4