Who else is in the 5,000 miles or more in a year club?

rborger73

10 kW
Currently NW of Pittsburgh, next destination unkno
So since around the middle of March I got my newest Ebike on the road. I'm around 5290 miles after today's 55 miles. I usually do 35 to 50 miles per day on it. Feels pretty good to laugh at the early naysayers when I first got into ebikes. Not a dollar spent on gas so far this year, other than putting gas in a couple other people's cars that couldn't afford to fill their tanks. ;) Hoping the weather allows me to get close to 7,000 miles before Dec 31st.

Then the plan is get the bike fully ready for spring and first big trip of the year will be from the Pittsburgh area down to Raleigh Durham North Carolina area and back to Pittsburgh. Little shy of 500 miles each way. If I pull that off and feel ready hoping to leave from somewhere on the East coast near the shore and head west. Lot of planning to do between now and then. The plan is East coast, to West coast, then back to Pittsburgh. Trying to find a good charity and may take pledges per mile. Lots to get decided yet, and lots has to go right between now and then.

I'm without question in the best shape of my life. Thanks to ebiking (and cannabis for my graves disease). Before I have to slow down my riding pace due to weather I want to see where my body fat percentage is, before I plump back up a bit over winter. ;) Now if we can only start seeing more and more bike paths and bike lanes... oh to dream.. ;)

The big cumbersome mass on the rear carrier will be down near the motor maybe tomorrow. Fender / battery compartment inner part is done. Covers have to be finished yet, and then have to move some components under the seat. Which will leave the rear carrier nice and open to actually carry things on. Getting close. :)

10444650_10152491898087528_4098320719129125183_n.jpg

So how many miles have you put on your bike this year?

It's my first year e biking.
I was hoping for 3334 miles this year, but I had some problems early on - you know, usual teething issues.
Cost me a lot of miles and Michigan weather imposes its own limits.
Of course, seeing where you live, I'm sure not going to make any excuses LOL.
My commute round-trip is 51 miles plus any side trips or errands.
I'm closing in on 2300 miles and my current goal is 3000 for the season.
We can't let the haters keep us down, yo.
Maybe next year I'll be in the 5000 mile club :)

Sweet-looking hog, by the way!!

SloNEZ said:
It's my first year e biking.
I was hoping for 3334 miles this year, but I had some problems early on - you know, usual teething issues.
Cost me a lot of miles and Michigan weather imposes its own limits.
Of course, seeing where you live, I'm sure not going to make any excuses LOL.
My commute round-trip is 51 miles plus any side trips or errands.
I'm closing in on 2300 miles and my current goal is 3000 for the season.
We can't let the haters keep us down, yo.
Maybe next year I'll be in the 5000 mile club :)

Sweet-looking hog, by the way!!

Thanks. ;) Next year I'm hoping to be in the 10,000 mile club in a year. :)

And 2300 is impressive too. ;) Keep it up. :)

It would be interesting if your respondents have used only one motor. Some folks put on alot of miles spread over several motors or bikes.

Also if they posted which motor they used.

That's the real deal. :wink:

Kent said:
It would be interesting if your respondents have used only one motor. Some folks put on alot of miles spread over several motors or bikes.

I think it can be more than one ebike. I'm one motor, 1 warranty replaced controller. Same bike all year. Last year had a front wheel 8fun motor on a wally bike. Did about 500 miles or so on it. The bike pictured only had tire and tube changes, and not many of them for over 5k. Didn't kill any tire fully, killed a couple tubes, oh and one of the original pedals the bearing blew out of, so replaced both with what was available at the moment at the LBS. They work well though and gave me a little more leverage in the hard pedaling.

I have a motto I stick to with my bike as well. ABP Always be pedaling. Very rare, and I have to be too tired to be riding to not pedal, few days when I had a super heavy back pack and a sore back I pedaled less. ;) Whatever speed the bike gets me to, I have to go a little faster than that. :eek:

7600 miles so far on TC-80 over 1.5 year period though I had about 3 months down time due to spoke problems.

I easily do over 5000 miles per year even if you factor in the few rainy days in the year I take my car.

Batteries are showing some kind of wear, but it should still be good for many more miles.

I do about 1500km a year, or just under 1000 miles, but I'm trying to get that higher if possible.

The problem is, about 90% of my travel is done with wife and a 2 year old. Not quite the family that can ideally travel by bike.

About 95% of my trips to work are done by eBike, but it's only 6km each way. About 50% of my non-work related travel by myself (without wife or kids) is done by eBike, mostly seeing nearby friends and picking up something from the store. Unfortunately, I have friends who live 80km away, which means a 2 hour ride is fine on the way there. Not so good for the return trip.

Am I just being a pansy? I'm not real keen on leaving a mate's house at around 10pm, and going on 110km/h highways with an eBike, especially on Fridays and Saturday nights when I catch up with him. Seems to me too much of a risk of a tipsy driver with object fixation.

Kent said:

Yea, this is the boat I'm in. This year I've probably got a couple thousand on my bike, but then I use my wife's bike for a lot errands, I use my trike for hauling things and groceries, I have another couple ebikes that get some use, etc. So I'd guess 3-4k, but some bikes don't have CA's so who really knows. I should keep track of my miles better.

Sunder said:
I do about 1500km a year, or just under 1000 miles, but I'm trying to get that higher if possible.

The problem is, about 90% of my travel is done with wife and a 2 year old. Not quite the family that can ideally travel by bike.

About 95% of my trips to work are done by eBike, but it's only 6km each way. About 50% of my non-work related travel by myself (without wife or kids) is done by eBike, mostly seeing nearby friends and picking up something from the store. Unfortunately, I have friends who live 80km away, which means a 2 hour ride is fine on the way there. Not so good for the return trip.

Am I just being a pansy? I'm not real keen on leaving a mate's house at around 10pm, and going on 110km/h highways with an eBike, especially on Fridays and Saturday nights when I catch up with him. Seems to me too much of a risk of a tipsy driver with object fixation.

This is my problem too, my commute is 6 km or less, so I try to lengthen it, especially on nice evenings, to get some good riding in. I feel like the bike is begging to 'go out for a run' so to speak.

I'm sure Grindz is in the club now for this year.

My personal best is only about 3000 miles in one year. Now I'm doing about 2000 a year. But that's logged street miles. I do some un logged riding on the wife's bike, testing motors, or just running to the dollar store where I don't need the cargo bike. And some dirt riding I don't log. Still not 3000 miles a year anymore.

Most miles on one motor is about 3 years riding on an ebikekit 6x10 motor, 6000 miles, and it's still up an running. The controller though, has gone 8000 street miles logged, and still doing 2-300 miles a year on a dirt bike.

5000 miles in one year is awesome, no matter how many bikes it's spread out to.

Because my commute is only around 5 miles a day, plus sometimes another 20-50 miles every couple weeks or a month, I'm only typically about 2000 miles a year, sometimes 2500 if I do a lot of scavenging, so I don't get to join. ;)

Last year I did a lot more, because of the house fire I couldn't be at my house from late April thru December, and then also this year up till late February. So my 5 mile commute was around 7 miles or so from May thru June (call it two months, around 300 miles? not including a few non-work trips, some up to 20-30 miles, call it maybe 400 miles or more total). Then my commute changed to about 20 miles from July thru December (call it 6 months, around 2400 miles, not including many non-work trips ranging from a mile up to 25-30 miles, so I might've actually done up to 3000 miles then; I don't remmeber). Then it was back to the 7-mile commute and some side trips for Jan and Feb (let's call it anohter 400 miles?).

Since then I've bene back at the house for the 5-mile commute instead, and not a whole lotta long trips anywhere (a lot of short ones, though).

It pushed me over 10,000 known miles on CrazyBike2, though, sometime the last month or so I think it was--but it'll be a good while before I get another landmark like that, even though I travel only via my bike(s), with the major exception of fairly regular lunches with Bill where he usually picks me up in his truck. :)

My commute is 15km one way. That makes a total of 30km each day. With 200 working days a year, that is 6000km a year. So that would be around 3800 miles a year. I have been doing this for the last 3 years with my Cromotor, with various battery packs ranging from 30S to 14S.

I take my bike every day, winter, summer, spring, autumn. In winter, I usually switch to spikes. Love them. In summer, either big nobbies or the Marathon Plus, depending on the weather and if I have time to take an offroad detour.

3300 miles in five months, no commute. Riding season is pretty much over now.
Got some welding to do...
MXUS-set has now done just under 10 000km in two years.
Bearings ok, controller ok, spokes ok, rim slightly worn.

Attachments

• Autumn 2014 004.jpg
    Autumn 2014 004.jpg
    333.3 KB · Views: 1,738
  • Autumn 2014 007.jpg
    Autumn 2014 007.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,738
2-4k annually here although that's been over the past 9 years. That's over several ebikes as things tend to evolve.

Damn, gives me the shivers to think about hauling all that SLA (lead) around just to cover a few miles back in the day.... Tech's come a long way in a relatively short amount of time.

Seven years ago I converted an older cro-moly Univega hard-tail mountain bike to a daily commuter. Replaced the knobbies with 2" road tires, added fenders and a rack for my "briefcase" pannier, and put a Bionx system on the bike for a 11 mile each way commute. Year round cycling here in Phoenix (I love the heat). Averaged almost 4 days/week year round, over 4K miles per year.

A few years ago, I cut my work to 4 days/week which slightly reduced my miles to right at 4K miles. In April of '13, I went to 3 days/week until I retired this April. Same bike all 26K miles, although I went through a number of tires, chains, gear sets, saddles (until I got a Brooks). The Bionx was an awesome assist, year after year dependable, cutting about 15 minutes from my drive each way, and helping me to steady my heart rate to about 140 the whole trip, instead of the wild swings I got without the motor. I kept it set at 35% pedal assist, but would occasionally punch the throttle just for fun.

Likely went over 5K in one or more years, as I was still mountain biking on the weekends, but with a different non-motorized soft-tail. Much less riding since I retired. Not enough time any more!!!!

5000 in a year is lots of riding.

Close but no Cigar.....4500 miles. I do around twenty miles per day. I rarely drive... even the valets I know laugh when I pull up in a car.

Endured the Partial Knee replacement last Oct 3rd(I sense a "Thunder Drunk" coming up soon 8). Actually, I was back riding around a week after surgery(the bike is a big part of my my therapy). My job is physical...the bike helped get me back on my feet quickly and living a productive life.

Is the question about if we have ever ridden over 5k in a one year period, or repeatedly?

The first year of riding ebikes back in 2010 (and actually it was about 10 months) I definitely broke 5k on the FWD. However I have slowed down quite a bit because I have either been away on business travel, or I’m working from the home-office.

Safe travels, KF

Kingfish said:
Is the question about if we have ever ridden over 5k in a one year period, or repeatedly?

The first year of riding ebikes back in 2010 (and actually it was about 10 months) I definitely broke 5k on the FWD. However I have slowed down quite a bit because I have either been away on business travel, or I’m working from the home-office.

Safe travels, KF

Really you are in the club if you do it once in a year I would suppose. ;) I should hit 5500 on the way to work soon as the fog lifts a bit more. Nothing to rush in for this morning, so little safer to let some of it melt off.

Back