Stromer ST1 clone?`

ARod1993

100 W
So I was screwing around on AliBaba earlier today and stumbled on this listing:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/26-inch-250W-or-350-W_60107310010.html?s=p

Frame styling looks remarkably similar to that of a Stromer ST1, complete with wide flat downtube that looks like it hosts a removable battery pack. Pack size seems to be limited to 36V10Ah (unless someone wants to build a LiPo pack that fits into the same form factor with more cells), and the controller appears to be mounted externally to the back of the seat tube. There doesn't seem to be a throttle in the default configuration; instead there's 5-level PAS and a proprietary LCD display displaying battery use, speed, and miles traveled. Drivetrain appears to be a basic 21-speed low-level Shimano setup, but the bike does come with disk brakes. The listing quotes $650 FOB per unit, and I've confirmed that the seller will actually charge that price. There's only one catch: single-bike orders apparently must go by airplane, which brings the shipping costs up to another $600-700, and so the bike now costs $1300-1400 shipped, which moves it out of the range of an eZip replacement into the realm of a low- to mid-range LBS e-bike. You can get them shipped by boat, but only in a 20' shipping container, which makes the whole thing uneconomical unless you buy in bulk. A shipping container containing 100 of these things would run you about $60k, meaning that a group buy or e-LBS could get them for about $600 apiece. Thoughts?

Just did; honestly it looks like I found one of the subcontractors who does work for Geoby or Volton, considering that the frame in the AliBaba listing looks remarkably similar to a Geoby IRock 14 or a Volton Alation.

In China, the same factory will make the same bike for two different customers. One will demand pretty welds, perfect paint, and high-quality brakes / derailleur, and the other customer?...he will want the absolute cheapest components to save every penny on the wholesale prices. Any rejects from the high-quality customer just get sent to the low-quality customer...sometimes the prices are so cheap, it costs less to just eat the rejects instead of paying for their return as a waranty item. If you want to sell 4, you have to buy 5...

Also, forgot to mention GBE/Green Bike Effect...another purveyor of generic BSO's

I was actually on there looking to get a pedal bike for myself on a BSO budget without getting BSO quality, and all of a sudden I stumbled on a listing for one of these for $650 FOB.

Back