What are the white Hall connectors called?

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Post Reply
Ben Abraham   100 µW

100 µW
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 19 2014 9:55pm

What are the white Hall connectors called?

Post by Ben Abraham » Dec 21 2014 3:19pm

Hi All,

I have a simple but vexing question.
I'm trying to get my hub motor (looks like a 'cleanskin' version of an MSUX XF07) to talk to an Em3eV 25A 3077 controller. Everything plays fine, but I need a new connector. It's one of the white 6-pin array connectors that Em3eV uses for their Hall wire connections. My problem is that I don't know the name of the connector type (e.g. 'JST', 'Anderson', etc. just a name so I can indicate), so I can't ask for it at any stores! This is very frustrating.
Can anyone tell me what this kind of connector is, so I can ask for one at e.g. JayCar (read: Aussie RadioShack)?
This problem is killing me because it seems so straightforward but I can't find an answer anywhere.
All help appreciated.

I'm new here. I've been a fly on the wall so far. I'll update my profile soon so you know who you're talking to. For now, many thanks! :D


User avatar
fechter   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 14636
Joined: Dec 31 2006 3:23pm
Location: California Bay Area, USA

Re: What are the white Hall connectors called?

Post by fechter » Dec 21 2014 4:11pm

Can you post a picture?
"One test is worth a thousand opinions"

User avatar
Sunder   100 MW

100 MW
Posts: 2857
Joined: Sep 06 2011 11:24pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: What are the white Hall connectors called?

Post by Sunder » Dec 21 2014 4:38pm

I brought one in to two different Jaycars, including the big York St store in Sydney. Neither of them could identify it or had anything compatible.

Its easiest if you cut them off and replace them with something you can easily obtain.

However be warned, the Jaycar automotive plugs look good, assemble well, but unless you get the pins to line up perfect when you plug them in, vibrations will cause you to lose contact. I thought i lost hall sensors several times, one time even buying a new motor because I repeatedly tested the connection and it seemed fine, but go for a ride and it'd be fine 90% of the time and cause the motor to jerk and lose power 10% of the time.

If you're going to shop at Jaycar, try the din or mini-din connectors instead. They seem more resistant to vibrations and shocks.
eBike: Q100H on 16S with Phaserunner FOC Controller
eMotorscooter: Vectrix VX-1 on 36S
eCar: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV... Waiting for warranty to expire
eHouse: 5.5kw On-grid solar with battery backup coming soon!

After 5 builds, the best advice I can give, is start with high quality products. I prefer http://www.ebikes.ca

User avatar
Kent   1 kW

1 kW
Posts: 382
Joined: Jun 04 2011 3:14pm
Location: Vermont, USA

Re: What are the white Hall connectors called?

Post by Kent » Dec 21 2014 6:30pm

If its the common white ridged plastic connector, they come in two basic sizes and the smaller one is available from 1 to 12 connector slots.

These folks have all the sizes including the pins. they are quite cheap and while your at it, get some extra pins. The pins come male/female.

72 V, (2x36v, 11.5 ah in series) Cellman, HS3540, 18fet Lyen, Jamis Dirtjumper Hardtail. Its streetlegal w license plate, inspection sticker.

Only by setting an example of good road manners and public courtesy can we convince the general public to take the electric bike seriously as a transportation option. Obey traffic laws!

My build: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =6&t=45706
Going legal: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=49390

User avatar
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW
Posts: 35386
Joined: May 17 2008 12:53pm
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico USA

Re: What are the white Hall connectors called?

Post by dogman dan » Dec 22 2014 7:53am

I never seem to see the actual name of them listed. You just got the name of the place to get them in the USA.

Another popular option is mini jst. You could replace the plug on the controller with those if those are easier to find in AU.

Here is the item on ebay, though I doubt you really need ten sets.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Sets-X-6-Pin ... a5&vxp=mtr

Voltron   10 MW

10 MW
Posts: 2172
Joined: May 02 2013 4:53pm
Location: Santa Barbara CA

Re: What are the white Hall connectors called?

Post by Voltron » Dec 22 2014 11:53am

Generically called a Molex plug? Even tho they make lots of varieties?

Post Reply