LiFeP04 8AH vs Lithium Polymer 10AH

ozbikeman

100 µW
I have the option of selecting a 36V 8AH LiFeP04 battery or a 36V 10AH Lithium polymer battery for my ebike. Range is important. To be used with a 200W hub motor. LiFeP04 costs a bit more but not much. Would be interested in the Forum's recommendations on this one. :roll:

whose batteries? Not all LIPo and LIFEPO4 batteries are the same, so it is hard to compare two unknown brands. In general, the LIPo have a bit higher output and are smaller and lighter, but do not have the life span of the LIFEPO4 batteries. The LIPo also are more prone to self destructing under bad circumstances (over charging, damage from a crash, discharging too far)

I run both in two different projects and have been happy with both. I run a Ping LIfepo4 battery, and got my LIPO from ebikes.CA. For your small motor, either should work fine, and I don't think the 2 extra amp hours on the lipo would increase the range by that much.

Assuming similar quality, the lipo will be lighter for the capacity. I would use lithium iron personally. In case of a bad crash or stupid mistake I wouldn't want a burning lipo on my bike. I have em, I use em, but I don't put lipo on my bikes yet.

I'm inclined to say neither at that sise, but for a 200 watt bike the 8 ah battery will actually deliver some range. In general, the lifepo4 will do more cycles before it dies. But a bigger ah lifepo4 has a better chance of lasting a long time.

Thanks for all the comments so far. The manufacturer says range is 32km to 35km without pedalling for the LiFeP04 batteries. Slightly more for LiPo. Also the LiPo are rated for 500 recharges, the LiFeP04 are rated for 1,000 recharges. I'm leaning towards the LiFeP04 batteries at the moment based on the overall economics.

Make sure you get a 48v battery - your 200 watt motor will survive, although you may need a new controller. My 200w motor is fine at 70v :)

200w just isn't worth the weight unless it's a geared hub motor or an elation kit.

Cut ALL manufacturers range claims in half. ALL of em!

Back