Looking for a race

We want to race. Who is racing and where are the races?

I can't speak for Luke but if there was enough money in it he might. Can your bicycle do better that 135 mph?

100volts+ said:

I can't speak for Luke but if there was enough money in it he might. Can your bicycle do better that 135 mph?

Our bikes can't do better that 135mph, but in Chicago I doubt there's enough room for you to hit 80mph, or maybe even 70mph...

If you have not been reading any of this forum you would realize that luke and recumpence would smoke you like a piece of salmon. please do not embarrass yourself. Good luck in your quest. :shock:

slacker said:
If you have not been reading any of this forum you would realize that luke and recumpence would smoke you like a piece of salmon. please do not embarrass yourself. Good luck in your quest. :shock:

Depends on what kind of race. Drag racing cars are much different than Formula One cars even though they are both "cars". But who would win would depend on the course they race on.

Snelheid Cycles said:
4kw+, 444w/hr , 44lbs
Snelheid means Speid
Your website says your ebike has a 414w/hr 52V battery and gear-motor. Looks like a commuter ebike. What does the 4kw+ in your picture caption mean?

mark5 said:
Snelheid Cycles said:
4kw+, 444w/hr , 44lbs
Snelheid means Speid
Your website says your ebike has a 414w/hr 52V battery and gear-motor. Looks like a commuter ebike. What does the 4kw+ in your picture caption mean?

I don't know what your definition of "commuter ebike" is, but they are based on a "Singlespeed" setup.
4kw+ means it's peak output is over 4000 watts.

Snelheid Cycles said:
But seriously, is there any organized E-bike racing out there? If not, why not?
Used to be, it died out.

Look up Death Race and Undead Race for two that used to happen in Tucson. I forget the name of the ones that used to happen in California, but you can probably find it by looking up Laguna Seca.

Thud has also posted about some stuff up his way.

Might be ohters I missed or forgot about.

The first year I joined, someone was organizing track races for the MD, NJ, PA, DE takers. The track was somewhere near Annapolis, MD.

Organized ES races have been scarce the last few years. I know it's more about meeting up with fellow Ebikers, but sometimes I wish it was more... regulated. Meaning, a 72v class, a 100+v class, a power PAS only class :wink: , and so on.

A very good rider (Biff) on a BMX with a drilled 9C and a 75A controller with 18S LiPo won the finals more than once in the old ebike race series, I only won a handful of times myself (DNF's due to burning up many motors and controllers before finding a solution). Depending on the track and rider skills and what cooling modifications may be done to that motor, it could be a contender with my own bike on tight tracks. I had many races that despite a comical space-shuttle-esque rate of overtaking bikes on the straights, the bike was such a pig through tight kart tracks (2" longer than Hyabusa wheelbase and >100lbs), that it made for many exciting close races with bikes that had a small fraction of the power. I've personally dropped ~85lbs since the last time I kart-track raced deathbike, and it's new dual controller iteration should be even more reasonable to ride than before.

melodious said:
The first year I joined, someone was organizing track races for the MD, NJ, PA, DE takers. The track was somewhere near Annapolis, MD.

Organized ES races have been scarce the last few years. I know it's more about meeting up with fellow Ebikers, but sometimes I wish it was more... regulated. Meaning, a 72v class, a 100+v class, a power PAS only class :wink: , and so on.

Yes, exactly! A class system would be necessary, just like every other form of racing. In addition to track racing, I also like the idea timed Hill Climbs, such as the
Pikes Peak Hill Climb. Hills put a lot of stress on the components which is good for development, and timed racing, one at a time is much safer since you are not elbow to elbow with your competitors. Plus going uphill has an inherent safety feature in the case of brake failure etc...

Organization is key. If it's organized well enough, the big manufacturers like Specialized and Opitbike etc will want to be involved. They will bring money and attention.

Regarding the classes, you might find the previous lengthy discussions about them by the terms
rac* class*
in message text and topic, and view by topic rather than post.

Some of the discussions about the races themselves, including the Pike's Peak threads, also talks about classes.

amberwolf said:
Regarding the classes, you might find the previous lengthy discussions about them by the terms
rac* class*
in message text and topic, and view by topic rather than post.

Some of the discussions about the races themselves, including the Pike's Peak threads, also talks about classes.

That's great that this has been discussed in the past, but I'm more concerned about the future. I want to participate, not just read and talk about it...

Yep, it's a build it and they will come deal.

Kart tracks like the death race venue were fun, rider skill played a big part, so crashing out was why I never had a chance. But so fun to try!

So find a track, rent it, organize the event, and those near enough will come. It's a true pain in the ass to organize a race for no pay, so that's why the death race finally died out.

A street race is plain illegal. Fun, but no thanks. But on the right road you could sneak a race, as was done with the earliest death races. They used to just do an uphill run, and the winner was the one that made it. When all the bikes started making it, and the bikes got fast, it moved to the track.

I have a suitable road in the middle of nowhere in my area. But you have to travel to my town, in the middle of nowhere. No appeal there.

Miles of long empty road, ending with a wicked steep climb. Come on out if you want to kill a motor.

Yeah, my commuter bike is illegal anyway with 19 Kw bursts so illegal street racing is a definite no even if I was close to Chicago. I'd do a go-cart track though, especially since I got my motocross tires and rims front and rear.

I agree that there needs to be some kind of organized racing and classes.

Especially a class for hub motored off-road type of races.

This would help people figure out what kind of bikes perform the best. It may also help progress ebikes.

Back