My first powerfull ebike, with MXUS 3000 and ?

qwøck

10 mW
Hi guys!
For some reason i don´t have my driving licence anymore... So I thought an ebike would be a good alternative.
I´m thinking this will be a buildlog/please help me tread :p
I´m going for a powerful, reliable, daily driver. I don´t need much range, since a just got 8km(5miles) to work and back home.
I want a affordable killer setup. I´m mostly going to cycle at 30mph or less, but i like having a big power reserve for when i need it. :p
Also, since i live i norway, there is lots of steep hills around the city. And i need it to be waterproof, IP54 at least. But I can waterproof it myself.
Budget is whatever i have to use, to get the bike i want.
I´m an electrical engineer, no education though. But i should be able to put it together and dimension cable thickness etc. when i get the parts.
Looking fwd to update this thread while building. With pictures if you want :)

Here´s the parts i´v been looking at so far:

MXUS 3000(w) hub with 26" rim.(Possible smaller moped rim in the future, I understand that it´s 12kv, meaning 864rpm on 72v. Isn´t this a bit much with 26" rim?)
3x6s 5ah lipo battery(to keep costs down to begin with, i have a charger for 6s)
battery bag, something like this
18FET Infineon Controller(really unsure about this one, any suggestions? I want bang for the buck, but it has to be reliable. Not sure what i need either)
Cycle-analyst(Or possible a controller that has something similar to this)

I have a bike, most likely going to replace it in the summer.

It really is a jungle with parts out there.
So, my questions in order:
Does this setup seem fine?
Any suggestions regarding a controller that would go nicely with the motor, and me?
Suggestions on where i should buy throttle, leavers etc?

I would buy all the leavers, throttle, and similar stuff on Aliexpress. I have a question for You. Where are You going to buy the Mxus 3000W? Because it's a not an easy choice in EU.

By the way flawless build !

I´m going to join a small europe buy group: http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=66472&start=25
Only 1-2 days left!

Still not sure about controller though.
Have been looking on the Adaptto Mini-E/Max-E.
A bit expencive, but it is tempting with easy BMS system, charging trough the controller, high power, waterproof and rated for -30*C.
Again, expencive. :evil: Wonder if it´s worth it.

Throttles and ebrakes can be had anywhere. Controllers also. Can get it all here. 15fet 72V 1500W controller would be minimum imo.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/313864

Okay wesneweil, but i have heard some stories about these controllers not enjoying temperatures below freezing. Doesn't look especially waterproof either.
I´m going to use my bike in subzero temperatures. Brr.

Double your battery size. With that much power, you will hardly have time to enjoy it with a battery that small. It's sized right if you rode sedately, but if you use the motor's potential, you'll suck that battery dry fast.

The MXUS is really more of a speed motor than a climbing motor. if you plan to use it on hills, consider going down in rim size. 20" rims would be more appropriate for off road and hill climbing.

Throttle is easy, get it from the controller supplier to make hookup easiest. there isn't a universal connector, so parts from different sources often need to be adapted.
generic levers suck, and are usually useless. Unless you modify a frame, build your own, or buy a dedicated high end Ebike frame, the dropouts won't be strong enough to take regen braking from such a powerful motor, so levers should only function as brake cutoffs. however, Those are just an unnecessary (but sometimes legally required) added point of failure to the system. Cars don't have them, motorcycles don't have them. If you can't remember to let go of the throttle when pulling the brake lever, you shouldn't be on a bike. If you do want to use them, or need to for legal reasons, it's better to adapt a quality lever than trust the flimsy lever-like things that are sold for ebikes.

Nothing is truely waterproof. you're going to have to seal everything your self, and rout cables and mount parts in ways that keep water from being funneled into connectors and cases.

The Infineon controller is very robust and easily modified to perform beyond the limits of the Adapto mini, for much less cash. Get one of these first to experiment with, and combine it with the Cycle Analyst for even more functionality. EVERYone who is serious about Ebikes either builds multiple ebikes, or makes serious revisions to their original before they get it the way they want it, so expect to be replacing parts. The Infineon is the cheapest and best way to learn what you really want later. Save buying the Adapto until you get a bike dialed in the way you like it. There is no huge benefit to it, it's just a little bit more refined.

Hi Drunkskunk. Thanks for nice feedback! :thumbsup:
Had no idea regen breaking was so powerful.
Okay then, I will probably go for the Infineon, and save some cash.

Getting exited to receive all the parts and building it now! It´s just above freezing in the morning now, so cycling season has already started.

Drunkskunk said:
...The Infineon controller is very robust and easily modified ...
...Get one of these first to experiment with...
+1

Get 2
I still use them 18 fet 4110, for they are best size-price-weight compromise for performance.

I run a 5t @72v40 amp 12fet from em3ev. It works fine but this motor can take lot more amps. But it eats up the range and higher amps even less range. It's a beast eat's up the hills, top speed 38mph. Keeps cool. Plenty of speed for the street on a bike. Its heavy, a scooter motor. Use a three speed switch, this will give you an option for range. Plus the throttle is real twitchy.
I would buy an extra throttle and three speed switch as they are cheap. It's the shipping. But I guess Norway has an import tax.

Hi, i thought i was going to write a little update :)

I got an adaptto Mini-E, with bms and the charging possibilities, i think this was the best choice for me. Got through customs, saved me 175 usd. (Thanks adaptto.)
Half twist throttle, 3x turnigy lipo 6s 5000mah, for 38$ a pack. More batteries next paycheck.
Also, I got the DNM USD-8 fork, and 26" tubeless wheel with 20mm thru axle hub is arriving in a few days. Fork got through customs, saved me 100 usd. (Thanks Australian eBay user.)
And i got one torque arm, should i get two for running a 3/6Kwh system?
All this is going on my old dirt bike. I should probably get bigger brakes, but one step at a time.

I´m thinking about getting the vector frame as well.. Or the more expensive Qulbix, they are on sale this week.
I cant seem to find any comparison between the different frames. Anyone with URL´s or thoughts?

Back